Odd aux Fan behaviour

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Hi All,

Noticed what might be a problem with my air con. When I turn the system on (I run it ever now and again at the moment, so not every day, the rest of time being in ECON mode), while driving in stop start, the system seems to rev the fan up to such a speed that the whole of the cabin is vibrating! Combined with a lot of noise.

Now I'm thinking the bearing is knackered on the fan - had the thermostat replaced previously, so it may have been stuck on. But before I take it somewhere, could some peeps confirm theirs is reasonably quiet, even at full wack?

Thanks! :)

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
A possibility is that the fan has thrown a balancing weight, I had to change the fan in my car and both the original and new units had balancing weight on the fan blades, or they had holes drilled in them (i.e. the opposite effect)

You could drop the motor out, check for play in the fan itself and keep at eye out for what look like small staples, that clip onto the blades of the fan.

To access the fan, remove the trim under the glove box, 3-4 torx screws along the front and 3 plastic finger screws spread out toward the back. With the trim gone you'll see the bottom of the fan motor (wires going in etc) all you have to do if lift a plastic tab and twist, i forget which way but there are arrows.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
A possibility is that the fan has thrown a balancing weight, I had to change the fan in my car and both the original and new units had balancing weight on the fan blades, or they had holes drilled in them (i.e. the opposite effect)

You could drop the motor out, check for play in the fan itself and keep at eye out for what look like small staples, that clip onto the blades of the fan.

To access the fan, remove the trim under the glove box, 3-4 torx screws along the front and 3 plastic finger screws spread out toward the back. With the trim gone you'll see the bottom of the fan motor (wires going in etc) all you have to do if lift a plastic tab and twist, i forget which way but there are arrows.

This feels like/sounds like its coming from the engine bay... i.e the radiator fan. Probably shouldn't have said aux fan!

Will check the one you mention, but doesn't seem to be related to fan speed on the Climate, only to the air con coming on when the vehicle is stationary/slowing down.

Feb 24, 2010
London

Coggie, can you remember how much roughly it cost to change the fan? Alex

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
The fan for the cabin is around the £200 mark from a dealer, nearer £300 if you have climate. It's not worth paying somebody to do - it's a very easy job.

Do a search, theres lots more detail in other threads.

Feb 24, 2010
London
WooooW, big job, didnt think it was going to cost that much, do you know the risks if i dont get it fixed? Alex

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
Just to be clear, i'm talking about the fan that blows air into the cabin.

There arn't many risks if you don't get it fixed. Frostbite and poor visibility in the winter and heat stroke in the summer...

As I said, check ot other posts, it may just be your 'resistor pack'

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise