OEM Look Stereo options

GarryC

Ex Piper RS chappie
Oct 17, 2017
Ashford, Kent
Morning all,

I have recently purchased a LCR225 after quite a while looking for the best example I could find. I am really pleased with it, but for one exception. The original stereo has been removed and a Kenwood unit fitted in its place.

While I am sure the Kenwood may indeed be the better unit, I am a fussy git, and really really like things looking/working as original as possible, or at least like it could have been an factory upgrade option.

I have reviewed the double din options, and read as much as I can find on the required parts and job involved, and while something I would consider, I would like to see if there are any good modern OEM looking headunits on the market I could use.

Ideally phone connectivity via bluetooth would be ideal, but a cabled connection would also be okay for the right unit.

I have searched the forums, but without much luck, so thought it best to ask directly what owners are currently using, and gather any advise/experience people have.

Worst case, has anyone got a great condition original CD headunit they would sell me?

Any pictures would also be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Garry

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I have an aurora head unit which is available. I haven’t pulled out the cd loader though.
Ps I have 2 kenwood units in my cars
CRAP. Nothing like they were s few years back.
Keeps needing to factory reset. Drops phone all the time and stations on dab too. Changing to pioneer once again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Hi.

Just swap a Aura Cassete Radio for a Pioneer DEH5700xBT. Sound is much more powerfull even with oem speakers. Phone calls are pretty good (need to wire mic from radio to front-mirror or roof) and music connect via bluetooth or cable. Also CD player and USB for music or charging devices.

The thing is the Aura has a non standard width when comes to fascia. The interior slot is standard for most radios. I've cut a PVC like a donut (but square) to fit to the dash.

Will try to get you some pics.

;)

Last edited:

GarryC

Ex Piper RS chappie
Oct 17, 2017
Ashford, Kent
I have an aurora head unit which is available. I haven’t pulled out the cd loader though.
Ps I have 2 kenwood units in my cars
CRAP. Nothing like they were s few years back.
Keeps needing to factory reset. Drops phone all the time and stations on dab too. Changing to pioneer once again.

Is the Aurora the original stereo? (Sorry, just getting up to speed with terms/names etc)

Hi.

Just swap a Aura Cassete Radio for a Pioneer DEH5700xBT. Sound is much more powerfull even with oem speakers. Phone calls are pretty good (need to wire mic from radio to front-mirror or roof) and music connect via bluetooth or cable. Also CD player and USB for music or charging devices.

The thing is the Aura has a non standard width when comes to fascia. The interior slot is standard for most radios. I've cut a PVC like a donut (but square) to fit to the dash.

Will try to get you some pics.

Yes, I noticed it is not a standard width fitment. The car currently has an adapter plate fitted to make the Kenwood fit okay.

Does anyone know if this OE Porsche stereo would fit? Looks like it could?

Ebay item: 122749735088

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
As said I’d get the pioneer. Modern with hands free calling etc.
The speaker system on the Cupra is pretty good standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Is the original a CD player or tape deck?

I just had a look. Its a pretty good, and cheap stereo indeed.

I am looking for something more original looking though :(

Mines in the garage which I'm currently trying to break into! Garage defenders are a bitch.
I believe it's a tape deck head unit with a 6 cd loader in the glove box. Has your loader been removed too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

GarryC

Ex Piper RS chappie
Oct 17, 2017
Ashford, Kent
Mines in the garage which I'm currently trying to break into! Garage defenders are a bitch.
I believe it's a tape deck head unit with a 6 cd loader in the glove box. Has your loader been removed too?

Cool, we’ll keep me posted :)

Yes, changed has been removed also.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
As long as you can change the illumination to red it’ll look OEM at night at least! I have a Sony in mine and it looks fine.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.