Olly20vt mk3 cupra track car build thread

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
Small update...
I had the tracking done on Monday and wile the car was on the rap i had a look underneath.
The downpipe and cat defiantly are std so will be changing soon.
As i was poking around under there i noticed one of the wish bones looked rather new and i had a horrible thought about my vibra-tech wishbone bushes.
Yep you guessed it, gone ! :cry:
So now i have ordered 1 bush to put back in on that side.
Also there is rather a lot of oil around the turbo so i think thats on its last legs.
I don't mind to much because its done me well for a ko3s and it just gives me a good excuse to get on with my hybrid conversion.
Which i already have the turbo for.
Oh and my drivers side ABS sensor has packed up so that needs changing so thats on the to do list.

imag0340f.jpg

And as you can see here is a pic of my aero wiper

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
I thought it might be a good idea to get the car weighed to give me a starting point and it will be interesting to see how much i can shave off.

Total = 1169kg
FL = 374 FR = 385
RL = 202 RR = 207

corner to corner split near enough 50%

Now these were taken with half a tank of fuel, coolant at mid limit, oil at top limit, washer fluid at 3/4 full and with out 78kg of me in it

The car will be going on a diet very soon, then i fit my bush and ABS sensor I'll task out the EVAP, SAI and air-con.
After I've finished the hybrid conversion/diff and clutch i will be fitting a bucket seat so will then be stripping all the interior out.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
interesting.
mine when it ran stripped but road car plus bolt in cage, was 1159kg without me...
i race seat, one normal seat, no rear seats

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
Ok it’s been a while but work dropped off and there has been a few other thing none car related that I’ve been doing but now I’m back on the case.
Well as of a few weeks ago anyway after a friend of mine told me about a clubgti.com track day in November which we both did last year (in my MK2 ibiza).
So that got me thinking of getting a mod or two ready for the track day, now as I wanted to go hybrid I thought I might as well get my downpipe done and then I can tick it off my list.
I went down to see Bill at Badger 5 which is only 3 miles from my house and asked what he could do for me, He had already put a second hand sports CAT by for me so I then booked the car is for a 3” downpipe and 200 cell CAT to be made and fitted. :D

Then Saturday came and I drove on down at 11.30 ish and started to take the old DP off, the old one was a pattern part of the std one which the last owner had put on because the car failed emissions on a MOT. This DP had no access to the nuts and we struggled to get them off, two came off ok ish then one got stuck and we had to ease it off then it was the last one so after finding a cut off spanner we set about it, then it also decided to stick half on and half off.
We tried everything then ping !!! it snapped the stud off in the turbo DOH
On the plus side the DP was now off so Tony (works for Bill) could set about fabricating the 3" pipe while I had a think on what to do next. :think:

One) Take the turbo out , drill out the stud and fit a new stud then put the turbo back in. Two) get my wife to pick me up take me home were I have a pile of bits I’ve been collecting to do my hybrid conversion.

Yep I went for option two.
So off I went, grabbed the lot, raced back and set to work on my own car.
While we were under the car some one pointed out to me that one off my wheels had a big flat spot on it on the inside NOT GOOD.
I had also notice it pulled a bit to one side when I pulled away and on closer inspection we noticed one of my other wishbone buses was knackered. :(
I didn’t have time to worry about that now and I carried on with the turbo. It all came off ok and as this is my 4th time I’ve done a turbo swap I knew what to do. We put the new S4 injectors in the sonic bath to clean them, drained the oil and got the old turbo out when I noticed Bill shutting up shop so off home I went.
After doing 6am to 11 shift on Sunday at work I headed back to finish my car.
I had planed on getting my exhaust mami ported out by bill, but then he showed me a bigger bore one he had for a few extra £ and as I’m taking it all out I might as well do it properly.

So I dropped the new hybrid in and the new mami and bolted it all up with all the pipes and new gaskets/washer in place.
Now for the tip, I didn’t realise you need to have a bigger bore to fit over the hybrid so after some head scratching :think: and frantic measuring it worked out not to be to much of a difference and with some careful shaving I was able to open out the end of the tip and squeeze it over the turbo and clamp it up.
I then fitted the S3 MAF housing with my MAF and a nice new air filter all connected with some new blue silicone pipes, also fitted the injectors and put everything back were it should go. By this time Tony had done the DP and Bill had put some exhaust rap on it for me and we fitted that as well.

All that was left now was to put some oil in and top up the coolant.
Bill put a map he had from some one else hybrid on the ECU just as a starting point then we fired it up and let everything get up to temp and pressure.
All was good, no leaks and no lights on on the dash. :thanks:

Bill didn’t get chance to map the car till the following weekend and in the mean time I found 1 alloy wheel on Ebay brand new all the same size/fitment as mine, so I quickly brought that and popped down and took the bent wheel and got the tyres swapped over. I have also ordered a set of poly bushes for the front of the wish bone.
I had a chat with Bill and asked him to map the car down on power for now as its still on the origin clutch, gear box and all internals and I cant afford for it to go pop ATM.
So he set about getting the best out of it while still keeping it nice and sensible (for now).
When I rang him to see how it was going he said it was getting to lean on high revs and I will need a 4bar pump, I happened to have one from a S4 at home which I had forgotten I had brought.
So I rushed that down to him and left it there. Then I got a phone call Saturday afternoon from Bill saying its ready to pick up.
After a chat with Bill it would seem my intercooler just isn’t up to it and with up to 61c it was clear that before I go any further I need to get this sorted out so that next on my list of mods. Other wise it was all good, 230bhp with 238lb/ft with a smoothed out spike and a nice long curve which is just how I want it for now, the timing was low and there was plenty of fuel getting through so lots of scope for more power there. We also upped the rev limiter to 7200rpm as there was still some power to be had up that end.
I’ve now been driving it for 5 days and it feels so nice to drive, pulls really strong and keeps on going rather than a big kick then nothing which is what my ko3s was giving me. The front bush’s should be here today and I hope to get them fitted Thursday then off to Bedford autodrome Saturday.

So next few things to do is remove AC, SAI, and carbon can, then fit a bigger better FMIC, bucket seat/harness and a better clutch.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
mapped conservatively to 18psi boost sustained... given its track use and induction temps when sustained loading simulating on track elevated temps to >60'c, less is more in this instance until temps are controlled by a different fmic setup. Then more boost can be added :D

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
Ok it has been a few months well more like 7 lol so here is a small update.

I did a track day in the car and it was spot on, handled just how I remembered (well).
Put a lot of laps in and it pulled really hard and strong for all the rev range :D

xsp8100.jpg

xsp7977.jpg

xsp7242.jpg

I did have the 3 exhaust mami to turbo bolts undo a few time when they got very hot, I now have another 3 made to a different spec which I'm yet to fit. I hope these will expands and contract at the same rate as the turbo, or it might be because the turbo had only just been fitted and now 7 months on it might be fine. I haven't driven the car as hard yet.

imag0473p.jpg

Towards the end of the day the breaks started to fade away so i had a quick look and I have NO pads left and very scored discs woops. So we had to drive using the hand break and the gears to a halfords nearby and do a quick pad swap in the car park before the drive home :whistle:

imag0479ot.jpg

imag0480kn.jpg

I then got on the phone to bill and now have a set of DS3000 pads and EBC grooved discs on there. I used to run this set up when I had the car before and knew they are a brilliant combination, and they are just as good as I remember.

I have decided to take a bit of a different rough with the car now from full track car to a car that will be good on track but still have a stereo, AC and wouldn't look out of place at a show.
This will give me plenty to work on like fitting a big FMIC but keeping the AC, and getting the overall balance write.
I have just brought a set of second hand wheels which I think will go well with the look and function of the car.

imag0696x.jpg

I think the next few steps are FMIC and a respray but which to do first?
Then I should have a bit more power when the map is tweaked and the out side looks done.

I'll try to do the updates a bit more frequently from now on ;)

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
I finely got round to taking the car back to Badger 5 for a remap tweak and.....
It is now 263 bhp at 17psi :D
So there is still more to come from the turbo, it's just the FMIC pipe work letting it down now.
I've also now fitted my compomotive wheels which look the nuts IMO.
I've also had a service and MOT which it went though with no problems :funk:
Just two more things to sort out and that the AC needs filling and the ABS light is on.
I've scanned the ABS with VAG-COM and I need to change the sensor, so no biggy.

20130106122928.jpg

I am also sad to say the car is now up for sale :cry:
It is my second car which i don't get chance to drive as much as i would like. It is a shame to just let the car sit there and not be used properly, also it costs a lot to keep two cars on the road so i would rather some one else enjoy it.

Last edited:

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
they haven't come loose since so I think they just needed a few heat cycles putting through them. I've still got a spare 3 bolts of a different material just incase.
it is sad to sell but I just don't have time to drive it and it's almost as sad to just see it sad there doing nothing.