Olly20vt's mk2 ibiza build thread

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Woah! So you're gonna be pumping out 200bhp out of an ABF? Sorry I've never really read into this before. Only taking interest in the conversions on here into 1.8 20vT's! I sound tragically novice compared to you lot! :p

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
200 is the absolute top you can get with out ITB, turbo or supercharger. More like 190 with the set up mentioned above, but then I may be wrong as I've never moded a ABF before.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
5.08FD :blink: top speed of 50mph LOL

I think I'll go for the 3.94 because with cams, 4 branch, head p&p'ed and a stand alone should see me nearly 200bhp and that should do for a wile. Then gear box and handling and if i do go back to the engine i would prob go for a turbo on to the ABF so i don't think acceleration will be much of a problem then.

With that list you probably see between 180-190bhp max no where near the 200 mark tho. With the FD then decide what you want to do with the engine first then turbo or 20vT it then 3.94FD..... going down the N/A route then 4.2FD all the way!

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
OK next update.
I have fitted some eibach 15mm rear wheel spacers and fitted studs in stead of wheel nuts

Before
imag0222o.jpg

After
imag0223k.jpg

spacer
imag0226x.jpg

My polished and ported head has arived but i'm abit stuck on what to do next because its a chicken and egg thing.

If i put the head on i might aswell do the fourbranch, sports cat, cams then get it mapped
and i cant realy do any of it with out doing all of it.
Well i can but there isnt much point when i have to take it all off again to fit another bit.
So my plan is to save save save ang just get it all done together in the new year.

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Makes a difference! Love it mate! Bolts sticking out though? Or is that a trial fit? :p

Love the colour too! More interesting than Tornado Red... depends what you're used to I guess? :)

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Looking good mate. Ive always thought of converting to wheel studs but never did it.

You are doing the right thing imo. No point fitting the head if everything has to come back off at a later date to fit the cams etc.

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Well Olly you get your head sorting in which way to go about the head mod's.... sort an exhuast manifold, decat, etc (performance advantage along the way) then do the head, cams & map all at once!

On the other hand you could go about the gearbox first, very easy way to get a quick car! If you source another geabox, final drive & diff then you could do a gearbox swap in a day..... instead improvement!

Tell me more about these studs please? I've been interested in these back always in the back of my mind that the studs would become loose, etc.... Where you get them from, how are they fitted (locite, etc) and what wheel nuts have you got?

Good work fella, keep it up and if you need any advice you know where I am!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Looking into these studs at the moment, what length studs have you got and could I have a pic of the front wheels to?

Did you get longer length ones for the rear compared to the front ones?

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
Love the colour too! More interesting than Tornado Red... depends what you're used to I guess? :)

The red is the standard ibiza red :blink:

Dave - I got the studs back when i had my mk3, I found a lot of people on track days and the like use them because it makes it easyer to take the wheels off and on and also you can use spacers or not and any wheels with out needing longer or shorter bolts.
I got them from bill at badger 5 and they are all the same length the rears i haven't cut down because they did'nt stick out to much but the fronts i cut 20mm off and they sit just inside the wheel. (I'll cut the rears down when i get time)

The main reason i put them on the mk2 is because i would have needed to buy some longer bolts for the rear because of the spacer but i had the stud in the shed already ;)

Easy to fit, locktite one end and lock two nuts together and wined the stud in, then copper slip the rest of the thread and away you go, I'm checking them each day to build up my confidence in them but they should be fine because they thread in the hub is pulling against the thread in the nut so shouldn't come undone.
Oh and torque the up properly.

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
Well Olly you get your head sorting in which way to go about the head mod's.... sort an exhuast manifold, decat, etc (performance advantage along the way) then do the head, cams & map all at once!

On the other hand you could go about the gearbox first, very easy way to get a quick car! If you source another geabox, final drive & diff then you could do a gearbox swap in a day..... instead improvement!

Tell me more about these studs please? I've been interested in these back always in the back of my mind that the studs would become loose, etc.... Where you get them from, how are they fitted (locite, etc) and what wheel nuts have you got?

Good work fella, keep it up and if you need any advice you know where I am!

Cheers for the advice
I just want it all now LOL
The gear box is another big step in my plans so maybe i could do that first hummm
I did think mami and 100cell cat (dont like the decat thing just incase i get court)
Just have to find the bits now.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
same studs as badgerwagen has used for years,..
i replaced them annually when racing..

no problems.
make sure everything is degreased when installed 1st time with loctite.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
The red is the standard ibiza red :blink:

Dave - I got the studs back when i had my mk3, I found a lot of people on track days and the like use them because it makes it easyer to take the wheels off and on and also you can use spacers or not and any wheels with out needing longer or shorter bolts.
I got them from bill at badger 5 and they are all the same length the rears i haven't cut down because they did'nt stick out to much but the fronts i cut 20mm off and they sit just inside the wheel. (I'll cut the rears down when i get time)

same studs as badgerwagen has used for years,..
i replaced them annually when racing..

no problems.
make sure everything is degreased when installed 1st time with loctite.

How do they fit on them? Seen some with a shoulder that stoped the stud carrying on so you have something to tighten it to.

These ones I guess there's a nut that goes behind the stud??

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
the ones i use are nothing special, they have double ended thread, with a small section without thread. I wind mine in with 2 back to back nuts and loctite on the end, up until they just "nip" when the thread runs out into the plain section. Its important not to force them into this plain section as the hub can try to thread cut into it, and it all can go horribly wrong there after (rips the threads out and you have a rotating stud which is then stuck in there.)

I torque the wheel nuts up to 85lbft myself, and after 1st session on track and its all got hot, I check the studs are tight and nip them once again if they show any signs of movement. One heat cycle and they have been fine for the whole race season there after for me

hope this helps

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
So the two back to back nuts are placed just before (underneath) the plain it and then tighten to the hub? Think you will be having a pm soon Bill want to set for mine :D

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
2 back to back nuts on the longer portion of the thread so you have something to wind the stud in with

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
Update...
I had a nice day out with ClubGTI at Bedford autodrome the other weekend (see pics)
The car was really nice to drive and put a BIG smile on my face, the ARB worked as it should and all in all the car felt rite, if you know what i mean.
I think a diff and finel drive is deff a good next set as Dave said.

dsc0050exposure.jpg

dsc0747exposure.jpg

Before the track day i had changed the pulley wheel to try and stop a squeek i had, this didn't work so for a whole £14 i changed both the belts which took 5 mins and this has solved it :D

Some one on the track day said they thought i had brought the wrong P&Ped head for my car so i have done alot of reading and the part number on the front of the head stands for an assembled head and not just the casting bla bla see link... HERE

And some pics...

imag0237.jpg

imag0233t.jpg

imag0232v.jpg

imag0235r.jpg

I am now thinking of matching the inlet mami to the head by drilling the head and putting some dowels in so the inlet mami fits in the exact same place each time then i can mach them so there is no step which should help the flow, has any one done this? i can also do the same to the join in the inlet mamis and could to the exhaust side as well.
Does anyone have a spare inlet i could buy so i can do it all off the car?

The next update may be a wile as I'm now getting my S4 back on the road so the garage is free for the Seat over the winter.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I wanted to do Bedford with Club GTi but was put off after I failed the sound test at Combe! How are they with the noise test? Read in AutoCar mag before that their Radical was 108dB's but they let them go around for a few laps to get a fly by sound test.

Could you post a pic of how you fitted your wheel studs too please :D

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
They are really strict on noise, you get tested before your aloud to enter the premises and then are monitored with drive bys all day.
I can't remember what the limit was now.

I will next time i have my wheels off.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise