Ordering an Ateca

daver555

Aug 14, 2018
Hi all, new member here hoping for some advice from those in the know. Apologies in advance if any of my questions have done the rounds before.

Quick intro for starters. Names Dave, love cars and bikes. Current daily is a 2013 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Econetic and a couple of motorbikes in the garage. Been looking at a new car for the last few months as I paid off the Focus back in March. Always had hatchbacks (a few hot ones) but need something with a bit more room and practicality (work in construction so increased ground clearance is a must).

From talking to a couple of dealerships I am aware of the factory shut down in August and the soon to be released MY2019 details. It is apparent that placing an order at present is nigh-on impossible until the MY2019 info is released. I have been told that I should be able to place an order in the next week or so and that lead-ins are currently 12-16 weeks. Looking at an FR but not overly keen on the color coding. Excellence is a good spec but don;t want full leather and prefer the interior specs of the FR. So, lets cut to the chase with the questions.

1. Looking at a Rhodium Grey 2ltr TDI 190 FR DSG with 36/2 wheels, Alcantara Sports seats, heated windscreen and winter pack. Those are basically the essential add-ons I'm looking at but not sure if this combo is possible? Current brochure shows the heated screen only available on the Excellence, not sure on the wheels.

2. Could I get an Excellence or Excellence Lux with the above spec (definitely don't want the full leather)?

3. Second color choice is Bila White, is this a non-metallic / non-pearl gloss white? Can you have this color on an FR as the current brochure says no!?!

Sorry for waffling-on but hopefully someone on here can clarify? Cheers, Dave.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
MY19 2.0 TDI 190 DSG-auto isn't available to order until November, so you have plenty of time to make a decision..!

Both FR and XCELLENCE now come with Alcantara as standard. Only the XCELLENCE has the heated windscreen, and neither have the winter pack as that is only available with full leather.

(The MY19 & Easy Offer thread has pretty-much all the information you need on the new specifications)

Bila White is not available on FR, but Nevada White is.

daver555

Aug 14, 2018
Scrogg, looked last night through all the info you've kindly provided us all via your other thread. Makes for interesting reading! Am I correct in thinking that to get a heated screen and the Alcantara trim, I need to be looking at the Excellence, not the FR? Ideally my personal spec would be as follows but don't know if this is possible?

Base Model: Excellence 2ltr TDI 190 DSG, Rhodium Grey
Options: 19" 36/2 or 36/1 wheels, winter pack, electric tailgate, panoramic sunroof, spare wheel

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
Am I correct in thinking that to get a heated screen and the Alcantara trim, I need to be looking at the Excellence, not the FR?
Yes

Ideally my personal spec would be as follows but don't know if this is possible?
It's not

Base Model: Excellence 2ltr TDI 190 DSG, Rhodium Grey
Options: 19" 36/2 or 36/1 wheels, winter pack, electric tailgate, panoramic sunroof, spare wheel
  • 19" alloy wheels are only available on FR Sport or XCELLENCE Lux (you don't get to choose the style - never have with SEAT)
  • Winter pack is only available on FR Sport or XCELLENCE Lux
  • Electric tailgate is only available on XCELLENCE Lux
  • Panoramic sunroof and space saver spare wheel are an option on all models

Reactions: Tell

daver555

Aug 14, 2018
Ninja-like response time there Scrogg :coolthumb Shame on the wheels! Looking like the Excellence Lux is the way forward and will have to live with the full leather! Thanks for all your help so far, much appreciated.

Tell

Staff member
Mind you if you wait till November you could consider the Tarraco which will hopefully have the front passenger leg room I sadly miss with the Ateca against my old Altea. It won't be in FR thou. Leather seats are fine in winter if not a veggie but sticky in the summer if parked up in the sun. I found they took a long time to give way into the bucket, about six month before you sunk into them than rolled around on top.

Reactions: kanyewest

daver555

Aug 14, 2018
Tell, the Tarraco is a bit too big for our needs, bit like the Ford Edge, Audi Q5 et al. SWMBO was happy with the space she had. She also has a bad back and finds getting in and out of a regular hatchback/saloon/coupe very difficult and painful whereas an Ateca/Tiguan/Q3-sized SUV is much easier with little to no pain.

Tell

Staff member
Reckon it will be a foot longer than the Ateca based on the Kodiaq. I can cope with that to get the front passenger legroom if they don't put it somewhere else. The Allspace and the Kodiaq give you room to get your legs out as a passenger.

I get terrible backache at times which is why I go for the high seating position and bucket seats. It depends what you are use to, but as a front passenger in the Ateca on a right hand drive the left foot has knowhere to go if you have the seats jacked up and long legs (that DSG post to rest your foot on the left side isn't fitted so it twists down). My only complaint about the Ateca. Fine when you are driving it, but on long journeys switching the driver or after hiking you want to relax your legs out. You can't. 6' 1". I know taller people say it's fine probably due to having their legs cramped all the time.

The Ateca and its sister cars suffers in this way by the way the crash safety cage configuration hogs the space where you want to put your feet and the design of giving rear passengers ample legroom. I concluded it was designed into the model range, it wasnt a mistake. Arona, Ateca, Tarraco.... latter for legroom. The rest compromise. My plan to pass the Ateca onto the partner for local runs and the Terraco for longer runs. We'll see.

I'd sit the swmbo in the Ateca and Kodiaq as a Tarrraco taster on the passenger side so you dont get an earful subsequently. :).

daver555

Aug 14, 2018
Hi Scrogg, just wondering if you've heard anything regarding updating the configurator and when orders can be placed for the 2ltr TDI 190? I'm waiting on an update from Citygate any day now!

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
...just wondering if you've heard anything regarding updating the configurator and when orders can be placed for the 2ltr TDI 190?
Ordering is currently scheduled to open on 18th December, so expect the configurator to be updated shortly before that.

daver555

Aug 14, 2018
Ordering is currently scheduled to open on 18th December, so expect the configurator to be updated shortly before that.
Crikey, what's the reason for closing the books? Is it because of the WLTP fiasco?

daver555

Aug 14, 2018
Small update, deposit paid 11/12/18 to secure the build slot. Next step will be to place the order and spec of the car which is still looking like December. We've decided on the Excellence Lux, Rodium Grey and the protection pack. Still can't figure out if the car will come with a pano-roof or if we can spec it. The new brochure makes no mention of it which makes me think they've removed it from the specs but we will see in December. Fingers crossed!

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
The Pan roof shows in the November 2018 price list as a £1040 option.
Of course, that doesn't mean things won't change between now and when you get the car delivered ;)

Tell

Staff member
Small update, deposit paid 11/12/18 to secure the build slot. Next step will be to place the order and spec of the car which is still looking like December. We've decided on the Excellence Lux, Rodium Grey and the protection pack. Still can't figure out if the car will come with a pano-roof or if we can spec it. The new brochure makes no mention of it which makes me think they've removed it from the specs but we will see in December. Fingers crossed!

I suspect the configurator isn't working well. In 2016 the configurator trumped the price list but now no sign of the panoramic roof in the configurator but on the price list. The Navigation Plus seems to have taken a walk at the minute. The 190 TDI seems reserved for the FR based on the price list.

Think I must have bought the Xcellence Super Supreme or something like that. I got all the extras at launch less the tow bar.... irritated some on boards. Runs very well and the Navi Plus I've given a new lease of life having it made into a retrofit so I've got the 2018 menu and behaviour... wasn't expecting that. Can now update to the latest maps.

Many more of them about these days and wait times long. Was told by my dealer that Karoq has mopped up the build capacity although this may be something that dealers are told. At that time UK Customers had much better waits.

Good choice on colour. White ones don't really show up the panel lines. They look like an iced cakes ;). I think why you won't be seeing rhodium grey on the Tarraco is that the green hew it takes on, in overcast skies is a bit close to their launch camouflage green colour they have so they switched to another grey. Rhodium grey goes pretty blue in sunlight.

Last edited:

daver555

Aug 14, 2018
Small update, still waiting on confirmation of a build week. Looking unlikely for our deadline of end of March to take delivery! Seems like the 190 TDI engine is the cause of the delay. Might have to look at other options which is a shame.

Tell

Staff member
Small update, still waiting on confirmation of a build week. Looking unlikely for our deadline of end of March to take delivery! Seems like the 190 TDI engine is the cause of the delay. Might have to look at other options which is a shame.

Is that lack of them or compliance with real world motoring. Don't get a whiff of diesel out of mine and the vehicle sticks to the road. 4Drive was handy last winter on a hospital run. Yet to test it out on standard tyres, snow and hills... may be soon.

daver555

Aug 14, 2018
Not sure Tell. I'm guessing it's WLTP related as I'm getting nothing from the dealer except when I chase them and get "as soon as I hear anyting I'll be in touch". I get that and I guess their hands are tied to an extent but the odd courtesy call would be nice.