Overheating LCR

LCR12npt

I have a chipped LCR which has started overheating when doing motorway driving at high speed. Temp rises very quickly but if you take your foot off the throttle it cools again very quickly. There is no loss of power, oil is fine, water crystal clear. Could it be a faulty thermostat? Anyone had a similar problem??

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
LCR12npt said:
I have a chipped LCR which has started overheating when doing motorway driving at high speed. Temp rises very quickly but if you take your foot off the throttle it cools again very quickly. There is no loss of power, oil is fine, water crystal clear. Could it be a faulty thermostat? Anyone had a similar problem??

Don;t drive it more than you have to, sounds 100% like the water pump

Water pump will require a Cam belt too

LCR12npt

cheers boys, have read other threads and looks like ill have to get it done.

PeteWild

Ive got exactly the same symptoms, just dreading the cost, Seat garage quoted nearly £400 for a water pump. Let alone the belt if that needs doing too.
I havent actually eliminated the sensor sending wrong signals but I just know its going to be the £400 rather than the £20 option !

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
Had exactly that problem on mine - the impellers have sheared off in the waterpump and it can't circulate enough water to cool the engine when driving faster.

Get the cambelt done at the same time (always) and don't pay a main dealer to do it - anyone with basic VAG knowledge can do the job. The pump is something like a 25quid part, labour 2-3 hours worth (depending on how experienced the guy is).

LeedsLeon

May 18, 2006
Leeds
I used this very website to diagnose mine and I was right saving a fortune in diagnostic costs.

The maintainance CD that the garage used said 2hr 20 mins for the job and as was said earlier in the thread, the part is about £25.

With cam belt and labour mine was in the £210 region as the cam belt kit is a shocking £85 I was told! It's essential you get this as you should never really re-use cam belts.

If you can, see if you can get hold of a water pump with a metal impellor. I don't know where from though.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members