Overheating problem

ibiza 1.8 GTI

well where do i start a few months ago as some of you know i blew my 1.8 16v engine up and put a 2.0 16v in, when my old engine was in it kept over heating then it died so we put in a 2.0 16v now this engine is doing exactly the same thing overheating and the fan not kicking in, ive replaced the radiator,fan,fan switch on the side of the radiator, etc since. only way it doesnt overheat n boil over is if i have the fan on constant.. any one have any ideas what is causing this as ive checked everything i can think of,

any help is much appreciated cheers graham

also tried flushign the radiator out to check for blockages and also checked the engine for an air lock but nothign prevails

ibiza 1.8 GTI

Red Ibiza VR6 said:
Thermostat?

Is the bottom radiator hose hot or cold after 5 mins of driving?
If Cold, thermostat is not working.

its cold:( is it a rite pain 2 do the thermostat??? the thing i dont get is this is 1 of the resons why i changed my engine because it kept over heating, so why has the problem carryed on after changing full engine and wireing, radiator, fan etc...??? i am stuck:confused: :confused: :confused: any help is good!

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
You just need to undoo the plastic bottom part of the waterpump, 2 10mm bolts. The thermostat will be five quid or something. You may need to remove power steer and ac pumps to get at the damn thing. Thats the worst job. Sounds like both the engines had jammed thermostats. Is it cold over there or something?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members