Overrunning Alternator Pulley / Poly-V belt Pulley with Free Wheel

Jan 27, 2022
Hey all,

I've been getting a noise from the pulley for a while now. I believe the pulley needs replaced as apparently it's common for the noise to be caused by that. And I've replaced everything else - tensioner, water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt.

My question is about the removal of the pulley. Has anyone done this without removing the alternator?
I looked under the bonnet and I'm not sure if the spline bit and socket will fit in, due to the off-side body of the car coming within about 5cm or so of the pulley. Not sure if there will be enough clearance. But I've not bought the spline bit or anything yet.

I'm wondering if I'll need to take the alternator out and if so, would it be easier just to buy a new alternator? As this would save the job of removing and replacing the pulley. Also can the alternator be removed without lifting the car? The manual says to do it from underneath, though I prefer not to go under the car if I can avoid it.

I see quite a few videos online about servicing this part on the older Golf's, but nothing specific to the Mk7 golf which I believe would be equivalent to my Mk3 Leon 2.0 TDI FR. There's a strange cut-out in the car body directly opposite the pulley. I'm curious if the spline bit would fit through that and be usable on the other side somehow, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Any advice gratefully received.

TIA.

Martin

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
What sort of noise?
There are other pulleys in that area - like your belt tensioner pulley and AC compressor pulley - each have their bearings which could cause noise.
First I would take the belt off and spin the pulley by hand to see how if feels.
Usually our alternator pulleys have a one way clutch/freewheel you can test by carefully using a small screw driver to spin the internal alternator fan - should spin one way - but not the other.
To remove the pulley I believe you need to take the alternator out for access, and hold it in a vice. Have a look in the workshop manual on here.

Reactions: mlaw247
Jan 27, 2022
Thanks. I’ll take a closer look based on your advice.

Yeah, I checked the workshop manual and I think it’s as you say - out and in a vice. Just thought maybe there was a way to do it in situ.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members