Paint coming off after car wash

Feb 13, 2023
I had a hand car wash a few months ago and the paint started to peel off.

I've took it somewhere today and they seem to think its already been repaired before, having owned the car since 2018 it's not been done in my time and its a 2016 reg car.

I've been quoted £350 to put it right :( but more worrying, they seem to think the lacquer is coming off the back of the car also which would increase costs even more. To be honest I've had enough of the car, in the last 6 months the front right light broke (£300) battery died (£200) which led to the electrical system breaking and this alone cost another £1,000 to put right. I think about how much it cost to put things right and keep the car considering the new parts its had but it seems to be one thing after another.

car1.jpg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
The way the paint has come off does indicate a previous repair. If lacquer’s also coming off at the rear, that might suggest poor surface prep prior to applying the lacquer coat as part of the repair process.

As for hand wash car washing places - I avoid them at all costs. Many use very harsh cleaning products that aren’t particularly ‘friendly’ towards a car’s paintwork. Additionally, some hand car wash operatives may be over zealous with the use of a pressure washer - both (cleaning products and pressure washer) of which could have contributed to the paint and lacquer removal.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023
The way the paint has come off does indicate a previous repair. If lacquer’s also coming off at the rear, that might suggest poor surface prep prior to applying the lacquer coat as part of the repair process.

As for hand wash car washing places - I avoid them at all costs. Many use very harsh cleaning products that aren’t particularly ‘friendly’ towards a car’s paintwork. Additionally, some hand car wash operatives may be over zealous with the use of a pressure washer - both (cleaning products and pressure washer) of which could have contributed to the paint and lacquer removal.
I've found somewhere to do it for £250 now, out of interest how would you suggest washing the car in future to avoid this? I'm guessing it would have been ok if not already been repaired before I bought the car though.

I'd rather not let it get worse before selling in future to avoid even more costs which have gone above £2,000 now in 8 months, it's just too much.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I definitely would avoid the hand car wash places.

The only person who washes my car is me, and I threw away the old sponge and wash leather years ago as they inflict paintwork swirls. I use a ‘three bucket’ method (the well known two bucket method plus a separate third bucket for the wheels), lambswool wash mitts, plush car-specific drying towels and warm air dryer, and all cleaning products are ph neutral. I rarely leave my car long enough between washes to need to use my pressure washer. If I do need to use it, then I always hold the lance at a shallow angle to the bodywork and stand far enough away from the car to reduce the force of the water hitting the bodywork.

There’s a good overview to safe car washing on the Detailing World website that might be worth a read. The method I use is pretty much the same as the method outlined in that overview - link below;

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
I had a hand car wash a few months ago and the paint started to peel off.

I've took it somewhere today and they seem to think its already been repaired before, having owned the car since 2018 it's not been done in my time and its a 2016 reg car.

I've been quoted £350 to put it right :( but more worrying, they seem to think the lacquer is coming off the back of the car also which would increase costs even more. To be honest I've had enough of the car, in the last 6 months the front right light broke (£300) battery died (£200) which led to the electrical system breaking and this alone cost another £1,000 to put right. I think about how much it cost to put things right and keep the car considering the new parts its had but it seems to be one thing after another.

View attachment 35548
Unfortunate, paint on your car door looks as rough as a badgers arse hol!.
I second what everyone says do not let anyone wash your car except fof yourself they use bad chemicals and rough brushes and cloths.
Same dont go to the cheapest painter, remember that is going to have to be sanded back to primer and blown into the door and boot at minimum. Judging by the picture your whole car needs paint correction as it is full of contaminants and scratches, good luck.

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
Tbh the paint looks rough anyway.
Why dont you have a go rattle caning it, when the weather improves.
Plenty of guides on YouTube.
Get some primer, colour and lacquer, mask it off, run it down a bit. I reckon you could do it for about £40.