Seat Leon Cupra 280 blown turbos

Mar 20, 2024
I've been offered a car with blown turbo. I'm expecting to have to replace turbo and intercooler.

It had a new turbo 2-3 years ago.

It is mapped to 400hp.

Does this seem normal or should I be worried about other bills, other than a replacement turbo and intercooler?

Bluepower

May 1, 2016
the IS38 has a slimmer turbine shaft, with bearings with too much space, so when overspeeded (when the tuners pushes the boost up too much), they tend to break..
Unfortunately pretty common when pushing these turbo's..
Get yourself a Littco replacement(the L380x has uprated bearings and no more weak teflon seal) and then you can enjoy the full 400hp, or go bigger and get the L460 (for 450hp) or the L480 (for 500hp)

Reactions: redone

Bluepower

May 1, 2016
Depends on the damage of the turbo.. In most cases there is nothing that has entered the engine besides oil, as the debris gets caught in the intercooler, but you never know untill you have removed both turbo (to inspect the damage) and the intercooler(to flush it so see if there is anything in there).
But if you want to know more, get a borescope and take a look inside the cylinders to view the piston tops and the cylinderwalls for any signs of damage/wear

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise