Panel/Cone filters = maf/turbo issues?

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Will the oil on any of the above cause issues with the MAF/turbo on the Mk2 Leon Cupra/FR?

Is the panel filter after the MAF so oil could get to turbo?

What are the affects of a cone on the MAF/turbo?

Last edited:

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Will the oil on any of the above cause issues with the MAF/turbo on the Mk2 Leon Cupra/FR?

Is the panel filter after the MAF so oil could get to turbo?

What are the affects of a cone on the MAF/turbo?

I had a cone filter on for 2 days, it was pretty big though but it did cause my MAF to show up fault codes which I had to replace, kept standard air box ever since. That was on my PD170 though :)

Danny.

A lot of ppl in the sates are running dry filters like AEM. This is mainly on cone filters because the oil can burn out the MAF sensor or something? I imagine the same stands for panel filters.

And yes the MAF is between the engine and the cone/panel filter. I have a Nesupeed P-Flo which is designed to run with oil added. I've only given it a very light coating so it is still effective at filtering. Best thing is to invest in a 'dry' filter or cone.

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
I ran a Green Cotton Filter in my Golf & in the FR, the golf is still on its original MAF now & has done 140k, I would guess its on a OEM filter now as its my mums car & cant see her being that bothered

I switched back to a normal OEM filter in the FR last service as its was at the end of its life & havent really bothered to get a new one.

Clicked over 60k last night, so no doubt she'll go wrong now the warranty is expired :cartman:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
You need to get the "oil" into respective, filters should be lightly oiled , and should cause no direct problems , its only usually when people clean their filters and are a bit too keen re oiling them , or if you buy an unknown make which again contains a bit too much oil.

If you stick with the main makes of filters , KandN , Green filters you should be fine ;)

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Thanks guys. I'd imagine the filter will still do a good enough job even with no oil. As you say though, a 'light' oiling is all thats needed.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members