Panoramic roof

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
How many people have got the panoramic roof on their Formentor’s? I’ve never had a sunroof before so wondered whether they show water marks and are hard to keep clean? Would it be worth getting the car ceramic coated?

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
How many people have got the panoramic roof on their Formentor’s? I’ve never had a sunroof before so wondered whether they show water marks and are hard to keep clean? Would it be worth getting the car ceramic coated?
I've ordered a panoramic roof. I have it on my Leon FR (illustration below). I especially like the look it gives the Leon as there is no bodywork in the color of the car infront of the panoramic roof, they put black glass around it giving it "black roof" look.

Formentor does not have this (it looks like regular sunroof surrounded with car color) but on the upside, the roof is much longer. It's almost above the head of the rear passengers. I like it very much. To be honest, when you are the driver you do not really see the sunroof. It is outside of your FOV while the passengers, especially rear bench get a great visual. Car is also lighter on the inside which could be helpful as Formentor is almost all black inside.

Regarding cleaning, it's the same as the rest of the car. I don't find the sunroof especially susceptible, it is heavily darkened so most water marks are not really visible. I wouldn't ceramic coat a car just due to sunroof.

1616433656953.png

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
Keeping it free from water stains is easy... You can clean it and if some water streak appears... grab some clay bar, bring some lukewarm water into a manual spray and remove it as you would do from other plain glass windows. Is not so difficult to keep it in good condition.

Just remember something... to clean, and protect from UV the rubber seals that go into the pano roof. They're quite exposed to UV degradation and some care is needed to keep them in good working condition.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Also beware - on Audi's at least, there is a dealer schedule for pan roof maintenance that you have to adhere to, and if you don't and the seals go, no warranty.

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
Is that included in the servicing or will I have to do something else? I have read the manual and haven’t seen anything that I will have to do?

Hampa1

Mar 23, 2021
Is that included in the servicing or will I have to do something else? I have read the manual and haven’t seen anything that I will have to do?
First post in this excellent forum. I’m a current Golf R estate owner, soon to be a Formentor 310 owner from Sweden.

I recommend the VW Krytox lubricant for rubber seals. It’s quite expensive but will last a long time. I use it on all rubber seals including the pano roof.

The pano roof service is something, at least over here, which you have to pay for in addition to the ”normal” service but you can search how to do it yourself. I wasn’t that happy about how the dealer did it last time, but that’s obviously up to you.

Attachments

• 7FBCFFA0-A30E-45DB-9179-F56FF010E22D.jpeg
    7FBCFFA0-A30E-45DB-9179-F56FF010E22D.jpeg
    605.3 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: Zephyr and IanH72

Hampa1

Mar 23, 2021
Thanks for the information Hampa1. When are you due to get your Formentor?
Don’t want to hijack the thread with off topic messages, but I’m really excited 😀. Love the Formentor...
I ordered it last Friday and the dealer said ”around 3-4 months”. Let’s see if that holds or if Covid will impact the production lines.

Reactions: IanH72

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
You can post on the “Cupra Formentor owners register “ with your specification of what you ordered etc.. Can you get Beats Audio and sky view camera in Sweden?

Hampa1

Mar 23, 2021
You can post on the “Cupra Formentor owners register “ with your specification of what you ordered etc.. Can you get Beats Audio and sky view camera in Sweden?
I’ll do that then, and yes we can order both those options. I went for Beats audio, pano roof and full link.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Not included with normal service, no, it has to be specifically booked, and they're not keen on advertising it! It may be included in servicing packages, but I don't know - as I use roof bars I've never had a pan roof. Best double check, in writing, with your selling dealer if anything special is required.

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
Looks like Hampa1 answered it. Basically I've used that grease (quite expensive btw) and plain normal vaseline but on spring and fall I use a rubber conditioner with lots of UV protectants on the seals just to ensure they don't get charred or frozen.

This along a 1.1mm bike cable (the one from shifters) I pass it thru the water passages just to ensure they aren't clogged and they can evacuate all the water that may enter (there are two on the front and two on the rear).

I'll try to locate them and do it some photographs for reference.

P.S: I use Koch Chemie products, the one I use is Plast Star Siliconfree or somewhat similar. A 1L bottle with grey color. Nice stuff!

Last edited:

MrMinch

Mar 7, 2021
VZ Edition with the roof! lol haven't had a sunroof since my dads Ford Granada in the 80s!!

Apr 17, 2021
Sorry for bringing up an older thread but does anyone who has the panoramic sunroof also had younger kids in the back?

My V2 is on order and it is early enough yet to make changes in the spec and i have younger kids. I am worried that the back cabin may be too dark/crammed for them if they cannot see out of the windows and i know they would love the sunroof...especially if it goes all the way to the back.

EDIT: Kids are almost 8 so they can already see above the windows!! Its not like they are toddlers or something!

Personally i am not bothered...it adds about £30 to the lease price plus the extra weight of the glass may be an issue with fuel consumption and if i ever wanted to put a roof box on it as on my current car, because it has a glass roof, no roof bars can be installed.

Any thoughts?

AndyCupra93

Apr 21, 2021
I would say that the front bucket seats are bulky and block a lot of the rear occupants’ view forward.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Sorry for bringing up an older thread but does anyone who has the panoramic sunroof also had younger kids in the back?

My V2 is on order and it is early enough yet to make changes in the spec and i have younger kids. I am worried that the back cabin may be too dark/crammed for them if they cannot see out of the windows and i know they would love the sunroof...especially if it goes all the way to the back.

EDIT: Kids are almost 8 so they can already see above the windows!! Its not like they are toddlers or something!

Personally i am not bothered...it adds about £30 to the lease price plus the extra weight of the glass may be an issue with fuel consumption and if i ever wanted to put a roof box on it as on my current car, because it has a glass roof, no roof bars can be installed.

Any thoughts?
I’d also check re the roof box. I thought the same, but on looking through the handbook I can see no restrictions to that effect, and the car does still come with roof rails, so you may indeed still be able to fit roof bars/boxes/carriers. I know my Toyota couldn’t with the pan roof, but that had no rails available.

May 2, 2021
I have a pan roof, pretty much a must have with a full black interior, for me anyway. The sprog is only 4 so he’s not bothered either way, he can see out of the side window fine. I get more cheesed off with footprints over the back of the seats, my Merc had hard plastic seat backs which didn’t scratch and were easy to wipe clean.
Weight wise, is it really that much of an issue on a performance type car if it does 1mpg less? If it is, drive it 5mph slower for a couple of miles before you floor it :)
I’ve been hearing “daddy, go fast” a lot this week! Funny how little kids love a bit of ooomph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Peyton and mm8718
Apr 17, 2021
I have a pan roof, pretty much a must have with a full black interior, for me anyway. The sprog is only 4 so he’s not bothered either way, he can see out of the side window fine. I get more cheesed off with footprints over the back of the seats, my Merc had hard plastic seat backs which didn’t scratch and were easy to wipe clean.
Weight wise, is it really that much of an issue on a performance type car if it does 1mpg less? If it is, drive it 5mph slower for a couple of miles before you floor it :)
I’ve been hearing “daddy, go fast” a lot this week! Funny how little kids love a bit of ooomph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my case...it is the V2 1.5 mate so not exactly go toooo fast!!! Seems like the consensus is a positive one so may just opt for it and ...forget to tell the wife!!!

"Oh look dear...it comes with a sunroof"!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members