PAQ (PreCrash assist) + WAS (anti-theft alarm) features

Oct 21, 2023
Hi everyone,

does anyone know if both features require Software upgrade only, or Software plus Hardware/Sensors?

I´m interested in a new car (available, without such features), and curious to know how difficult/expensive would be to have them installed by a Cupra dealer.

Thanks!!

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
I'm frankly surprised to hear you can get a modern car without a Pre Crash system fitted as standard - those systems lower the vehicles insurance category, if only speaking to benefits of lower overall running costs and none of the drawbacks when they go wrong.

In short, no dealership is going to offer retrofits I believe - that is essentially what your asking about? For safety systems in particular, I recommend purchasing a vehicle that has already been fitted with it. Leave retrofitting to uprated sound systems, convenience features, or replacing existing components. Don't feature add - safety components - even if it's seemingly a software patch. Those systems are tested rigorously by external bodies for a reason, with untrustworthiness at the heart.

Third party alarm is perfectly okay, ghost immobiliser and such, are fairly common.

Oct 21, 2023
Good points! Pre Crash assist (PAQ) is a specific and extra safety feature, that is optional for Cupra, as far I can see in the Configurator/Specs: it reacts by changing the tension of front seat belts in case of accident. Extra, since it´s on top of the many safety features, included by default in Cupra versions.

I do not agree with you when say "surprised to hear you can get a modern car without a Pre Crash system fitted as standard". AFAIK, most of modern cars (ICE, EV, PHEV, ...) do not have this specific feature in their standard/default versions.

Going forward, I also expect this feature (like many others in the past) becomes more and more common, hence part of the basic config.

Thanks!

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
I have not looked into any of the configurator data or specs on the optional safety packs, so you will likely know more about this than me.

What I wish to allude to specifically then, is the stages of safety systems.

So I would consider all cars being fitted with airbags and seat belt retainers (the very basic pull lock system) at minimum, as well as chassis related things.

Then I would consider "modern" cars to be post 2017 ? Fitted with the basics above plus more advanced airbags in seats and T pillar, then the radar based crash avoidance systems like pedestrian in road - auto braking, crash avoidance systems in general fitted even without dynamic cruise control available.

I'm not up-to-date on all the lingo so maybe you're right that "PAQ / PreCrash" is something even more developed beyond then.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Good points! Pre Crash assist (PAQ) is a specific and extra safety feature, that is optional for Cupra, as far I can see in the Configurator/Specs: it reacts by changing the tension of front seat belts in case of accident. Extra, since it´s on top of the many safety features, included by default in Cupra versions.

I do not agree with you when say "surprised to hear you can get a modern car without a Pre Crash system fitted as standard". AFAIK, most of modern cars (ICE, EV, PHEV, ...) do not have this specific feature in their standard/default versions.

Going forward, I also expect this feature (like many others in the past) becomes more and more common, hence part of the basic config.

Thanks!
The Formentor has seat belt pre-tensioners as standard (at least UK spec cars do) - see screenshots below of pages 38 and 46 from the November 2022 edition of the owners manual. Your forum signature shows you are based in Germany and I’d be quite surprised if Formentors built for the German market didn’t also have these as part of the car’s standard spec.

All the cars I have owned since the early 1990’s have had seatbelt pre-tensioners fitted as standard, and some of those cars had far fewer safety features (e.g. no airbags) than current generation cars.

IMG_0355.jpeg

IMG_0356.jpeg

Idrossizina

Sep 25, 2023
Hi, my car is supposed to be fitted with that optional, becouse I paid for it… Nevertheless, I’m not sure that feature is really present in my car. Is there anyway, apart from having a crash, to check whether it’s present or not?

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members