Part Custom Made Exhaust

Andy25

Apr 17, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Okay, let's think how to best explain this..

The place where I work deals a lot with Steel Tubing, generally much heavier wall than that used in exhausts. Although, the company do actually do a lot of pipe beinding and pipe fitting, welding etc. (All for the oil and gas industry, everything has to be PERFECT - I work in Quality so sadly I'm on the receiving end of the stuipid lengths we have to go to in order to ensure this)

Anyway, my point being is that with the equipment at work, etc. The lads should be able to knock me up a few pipe beinds accurately enough for an exhaust, or part of it.

What I was thinking about doing is the following;

- Buy a Miltek downpipe
- Buy a backbox (Probably just a universal one as long as it's stainless)
- Buy a section of 2.5" Stainless Tube & have it formed at work as the middle (decat) section

I've had a word with a couple of people at work, etc and I think I can pick up a length of good quality tube fairly cheap.

$(KGrHqN,!lEE4NlfEqPqBODdsMKgOg~~0_12.JPG

So I'd obviously buy the downpipe, as shown in the image above. Buy a universal (or one specifically for the Ibiza) back-box anddd have the middle section made at work for free (I'd only have to pay for the material, which is minimal.)

My thoughs behind the whole thing was spending £180 or whatever on something like this, £100 or whatever on a back-box and £50 (Maximum) for the middle section - I'd be getting a 2.5" straight through system for £330 or so.

I was wondering if anyone's ever done anything like this before? If so, how did it turn out?

And, I don't want the car to be stupidly loud, I know that you can order "Resonated / Non-resonated" exhausts, which bit is it that actually reduces the sound? The back-box?

Any help much appreciated & comments, advice and ideas are more than welcome, as always!

Andy25

Apr 17, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
You would probably get a proper proffesional custom system for that.

Do you think so? I got a quote for one and it was £600 odd quid if I remember correctly..

I know a couple of friends have had custom made turbo back systems made for their cars (Not Ibiza's) and they were also in this kind of price range..

Another quick question to anyone reading, does anyone have or know where I could get a diagram of the exhaust bends? I know that's maybe a bit far-fetched but you never know!

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Resonated and non resonated is the change in center section, it has a silencer in it. For the extra 100 quid I'd just go for the full milltek and not have the fuss. You get proper fancy exhaust clamps etc too from milltek and the fit is awesome

Andy25

Apr 17, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Resonated and non resonated is the change in center section, it has a silencer in it. For the extra 100 quid I'd just go for the full milltek and not have the fuss. You get proper fancy exhaust clamps etc too from milltek and the fit is awesome

I see, I think I'd be getting resonated as I don't want something that's dead loud, like the Corsa's you hear blaring up and down the street!

You think I'd pick up a full Miltek for £430?

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
You should be able to get a decat downpipe and a resonated cat-back for under 500 no bother! Is yours petrol or diesel? If it's diesel save yourself another 30 quid and get the none resonated one :)

Andy25

Apr 17, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
You should be able to get a decat downpipe and a resonated cat-back for under 500 no bother! Is yours petrol or diesel? If it's diesel save yourself another 30 quid and get the none resonated one :)

Hmm, I'll have a look. Still "under £500" and £300 odd is a bit of a difference :p

I'd actually guess I'd do it the other way for just under £300, but if I could get the full Miltek for only £100-£150 more I'd go for that to be honest..

It's the Petrol 1.8T :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members