PD150 Timing

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
I allways understood the inj balance could be off due to low compression, have you had a comp test done? It could be an injector seal or something else causing low comp. did you check the inj balance when engine was up to temp?

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
I allways understood the inj balance could be off due to low compression, have you had a comp test done? It could be an injector seal or something else causing low comp. did you check the inj balance when engine was up to temp?

All readings were done when car was up to temp, just coming back from France and the car has been playing up, overheating and losing coolant, quite a lot actually. And mpg has been shite only managed 41 mpg on the motorway doing a 800 mile round trip.

I've also noticed that there is quite a lot of oil in the expansion tank as when it was empty I could see all this black gunk on the bottom of the tank.

The headgasket I was told was replaced just before I got the car, do you reckon the head bolts weren't torqued right near the 4th cylinder and its leaking compression, or just a bad job was done in general? Since I've had the car in November I haven't seen more than 45mpg out of it and that's driving carefully.

All in all looks like I've got a headgasket problem or worse a crack in the block?!

Any thoughts with the additional info, the oil worried me the most! Oil level is ok though.

Seatmann, I had a quick look at the lobes and they appeared to be shiny with no signs of wear on the edges.

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Doesnt sound right there. Its common with vag water pumps for the plastic impellor to come loose on the shaft, this can result in loss of coolant circulation and could cause overheating, the black gunk could be bits of plastic, or was it deff oil stuff in the exp?

Im not entirely sure on the correct way of checking/ confirming head gasket. When was cambelt done? May be worth getting cambelt/ water pump done, coolant flushed and changed. Whilst having that done have the garage inspect for head gasket issues.

If the water pump has failed and engine is overheating that may result in poor mpg/ performance. Or if the head gasket has gone on one cylinder that could be why the inj controll is out on that cylinder.

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Doesnt sound right there. Its common with vag water pumps for the plastic impellor to come loose on the shaft, this can result in loss of coolant circulation and could cause overheating, the black gunk could be bits of plastic, or was it deff oil stuff in the exp?

Im not entirely sure on the correct way of checking/ confirming head gasket. When was cambelt done? May be worth getting cambelt/ water pump done, coolant flushed and changed. Whilst having that done have the garage inspect for head gasket issues.

If the water pump has failed and engine is overheating that may result in poor mpg/ performance. Or if the head gasket has gone on one cylinder that could be why the inj controll is out on that cylinder.

Well I have a great time in France, i come back to uk and the **** hits the fan.

Smoke/steam pours out of the engine bay literally 12 miles from home, followed by crunching noises and severe jerking/bunny hopping so I pulled over and now the car won't start, having to get it towed.

It looks like the pump seized and possibly caused the belt to jump a few teeth either that or something was damaged from lack of coolant circulation as there was lots or steam from the water pump side of the engine like it has drained all the coolant!

There is definitely oil in the expansion tank, thick sludgy black on the sides of the tank, the Cambelt I would have hoped was done when I bought the car because it had recently had a headgasket replacement before I bought it and that was in November.

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Could be a number of things, head gasket/ cambelt/ water pump related. I would like to think garages replace cam belt when doing head gasket, but i bet a lot just reuse the original.

Keep us updated with what the garage finds as will help others diagnose faults.

Luckily you were almost home, and not stuck in france!

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Personally if it was me I think I'd be pulling the head off to have a look, drain the coolant as much as possible before hand so it doesn't go everywhere and cover up any marks in the gasket.

It's quite possible that whoever did the gasket the first time botched it

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Well not sure this is good news but its as good as it can be at the moment.

My mechanic had a look before it was towed back to my house and he showed me the damage, basically the water pump has seized causing the belt to get eaten on the left hand edge and it's moved sideways, luckily I think it's still in the correct position (not jumped any teeth).

Managed to start the engine briefly when it was off the "A" frame and park it somewhere before it gets towed back to the garage.

As for the head gasket I think you are right Seatmann I'm pretty sure it was botched, but I can't afford right now to have that investigated and as It's been driveable for near 6500 miles like it but will get a compression test done on cylinder 4 as that seems to be the offending injector/cylinder.

I've had no bubbling in the coolant or funny smells, so the water pump for the loss of coolant seems to be the offender but I did have a thought about the oil in my coolant, that could possibly be down to a leaky oil cooler, because before I changed the coolant bottle about 3 months ago it was the same colour but it was a greeny black sludge, so maybe the seals on the oil cooler need replacing or just the whole thing done.

Just ordered the Cambelt Kit and Water Pump (Metal Impeller) @ £108 from GSF parts on Ebay for next day delivery to the garage, which my mechanic is going to fit for £150, which isn't too bad I thought.

So all in all, I'm hoping and crossing my fingers that I stopped the car in time before any serious damage has been caused.

Hope this has been informative and I'll keep you guys updated.

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
You guys are not going to believe this...

For starters the waterpump had seized completely rock solid, wouldn't budge.

Secondly the cambelt upon removal to the amazement of my mechanic, totally destroyed (See Photos below)

What's left of the water pump:

The miracle in all this is the engine stayed in time!!!! I mean look at that belt, how the f***!!! The mechanic said he had never seen anything like this before in his life!

Time to buy a lottery ticket me thinks!

Just to conclude, engine pulls so smooth now, water pump must have been in and out of seizing and then just completely went on my way back from France.

What do you guys think of that then!!!

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
You are lucky there!!
Makes me want to get the waterpump i have on bedroom floor fitted asap!!

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
You are lucky there!!
Makes me want to get the waterpump i have on bedroom floor fitted asap!!

I would change it asap if it's due or it's leaking do it sooner rather than later!!

BTW, what's the revo map on your car like? You had it on long?

Thanks,

Dominic

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Pump and belt was supposidly changed at 49k before i got the car, only have his word so thought id get the genuine kit and get it done, at 65k now.

Yeah had it since jan, its a lot more fun, especially 2nd and 3rd at 2krpm, spins in 3rd some times 4th in wet.

It was putting out 150 before map and 175 after, so its not putting out what it should, runs fine etc, garage reckon a boost leak, but logs on vcds all seem fine. When i get time im gonna strip out intake and egr and clean then get system terracleaned. But its deff more fun, and still average 56mpg on motorway run.

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Pump and belt was supposidly changed at 49k before i got the car, only have his word so thought id get the genuine kit and get it done, at 65k now.

Yeah had it since jan, its a lot more fun, especially 2nd and 3rd at 2krpm, spins in 3rd some times 4th in wet.

It was putting out 150 before map and 175 after, so its not putting out what it should, runs fine etc, garage reckon a boost leak, but logs on vcds all seem fine. When i get time im gonna strip out intake and egr and clean then get system terracleaned. But its deff more fun, and still average 56mpg on motorway run.

Well that's what I went on "car dealers word" and turns out they didn't change the cambelt and waterpump when doing the headgasket.

Hmm that does seem quite low, seems like your missing at least 15 bhp! How much was the revo stage 1? Also when does full boost seem to kick in? Because the map I have at the moment doesn't kick full boost in until 2500.

The logs from VCDS are they meeting actual/specified values? If so, could be clogged intake if your turbo is ok. You had a look recently at the egr/manifold?

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Yeah missing 15 to 20bhp and about 40lb/ft torque. I think its about 2000 to 2100, at those revs on the dyno the bhp and torque goes up verticaly, and thats when the wheels spin in the wet :)
I got it in jan and they had 20% off (vat free), think i paid £330ish for map and before/after dyno, think the dyno run was £45.
Yeah cleaning the egr/ intake manifold has been on my list of things to do, then terracleaned to clean the rest. The turbo vanes seem fine and rugurly get dechoked on a good uphill blast.
The req and actual all seem to be as should for maff and boost. One thing i do keep meaning to check (hardly ever have time) is get the car up to temp and check the inj qty/ idle controll, because if one cylinder is out it could indicate low compression on 1 cylinder.
Another thing im hoping is when the prev owner said he done cambelt i dunno weather he would of locked the cam and pulley with the correct tool, so my timing could potentialy be out a bit, fingers crossed when my friend does it properly then the timing will be correct.

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Yeah missing 15 to 20bhp and about 40lb/ft torque. I think its about 2000 to 2100, at those revs on the dyno the bhp and torque goes up verticaly, and thats when the wheels spin in the wet :)
I got it in jan and they had 20% off (vat free), think i paid £330ish for map and before/after dyno, think the dyno run was £45.
Yeah cleaning the egr/ intake manifold has been on my list of things to do, then terracleaned to clean the rest. The turbo vanes seem fine and rugurly get dechoked on a good uphill blast.
The req and actual all seem to be as should for maff and boost. One thing i do keep meaning to check (hardly ever have time) is get the car up to temp and check the inj qty/ idle controll, because if one cylinder is out it could indicate low compression on 1 cylinder.
Another thing im hoping is when the prev owner said he done cambelt i dunno weather he would of locked the cam and pulley with the correct tool, so my timing could potentialy be out a bit, fingers crossed when my friend does it properly then the timing will be correct.

Revo sounds like the map for me! I'm stuck between the standard map which is frustrating with the lack of power and the blacksmoke map which doesn't kick in until 2500. My ASV leon before my PD150 used to spin in those gears, so much more fun!

I cleaned a PD150 manifold on which was on my previous car, it took all the solvents I had in the cupboard plus some setting alight to it and burning the carbon!

Talking of inj qty/idle control, cylinder 4 on mine at the moment is still +1.46mg/str and when I had the Cambelt done I had my mechanic do a compression test and he said I had so much compression it blew his tester up! So things can only point now to a faulty injector.

Timing could be out on the belt but I would have thought if it was you would have a lot less power than you do at the moment, you'd probably be suffering and notice If it was out.

What's your average mpg? Not necessarily on the motorway but in general if you combined town driving with faster roads? Because mine still seems a little low, only getting between 40-43mpg on most runs.

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
I think i average 45ish, because i drive an underpowered van for work, the car gets driven hard once warm so mpg usually suffers.
Motorway run to north wales from south devon sat at 70/75 got me 56 mpg.

Aug 1, 2011
Bearings fail in pump, impeller moves around, jams into block and stops turning whilst the engine is still turning over. Strips the belt of all its teeth like above.

In comparison to a plastic impeller braking into pieces and the car overheats.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.