PD170 stutter advice

Apr 1, 2021
Been hunting down the dreaded PD170 stutter for a good few months. Had injector seals, mechanic says injectors look good from VCDS readings, checked torsion it’s around -1.0. What else can I try?

Car is mapped to 210. Seen a lot of people say the map can be the issue, but when I got the car it was mapped and it didn’t stutter and has gradually got worse. I had an Astra 1.9 150 before and when I first got the Leon I was a bit surprised that it didn’t feel much faster. This made me think maybe it’s down on power too.

I’m thinking boost leak? I’ve had a decent carbon clean and didn’t make a difference to the stutter, so am I right in thinking it’s less likely to be sticky turbo vanes?

If anyone has VCDS near Sheffield I’d be willing to throw you some cash to come have a look.

Thanks in advance

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Carbon cleans generally do ****-all, so you'd do well to pop the EGR and ASV off for cleaning, AFM would not be a bad idea either.

Boost leak is pretty common, you need to pressurise the system to properly check, but sometimes you get lucky and just find a hose joiner covered in **** from leaking.

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Have you still got the black plastic inlet manifold?

You may be best to do a bkd metal inlet manifold with swirl flaps deleted

My old pd170 a3 stuttered terribly at around 3k rpm on full load , a new map reduced it very considerably and then I installed a metal bkd inlet and the stutter went

Cars done 13k since and still stutter free (my neighbour owns it now and the car gets a good hoofing daily)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Apr 1, 2021
Carbon cleans generally do ****-Carbon cleans generally do ****-all, so you'd do well to pop the EGR and ASV off for cleaning, AFM would not be a bad idea either.
Boost leak is pretty common, you need to pressurise the system to properly check, but sometimes you get lucky and just find a hose joiner covered in **** from leaking.
Thanks for the reply. How much of a job is it to remove the EGR on these? Not done it yet. The EGR is blanked and mapped out I believe, could it still cause it to stutter if it was clogged up?

I did have a quick look at boost pipes, the right hand side one off the intercooler was wet with oil so I assumed it had been losing boost from here too. Got it off and have hopefully improved the seal there now. Any other common places for them to go? Smoke test is the next thing to get done.

Apr 1, 2021
Have you still got the black plastic inlet manifold?

You may be best to do a bkd metal inlet manifold with swirl flaps deleted

My old pd170 a3 stuttered terribly at around 3k rpm on full load , a new map reduced it very considerably and then I installed a metal bkd inlet and the stutter went

Cars done 13k since and still stutter free (my neighbour owns it now and the car gets a good hoofing daily)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cheers for the reply. I’ve had the swirl flaps removed and the actuator removed and hole sealed, still on plastic inlet but without the flaps.

Reactions: Leeoncupra

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Pipes usually leak because the connectors are knackered. Just replace the pipe, changing the seal won't do much.

Smoke test usually isn't good enough to spot boost leaks, you'll only find actual holes not leaks that open up under boost.