Peeved - Two Fog Lights, Two Months

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Some of you may remember I recently got my Leon FR Tdi recently serviced for its first 10,000 service after 8 months.

You will probably remember my passenger fog light glass had cracked and how peeved I was at the thought of £149 for fitting a new one!

Well the glass fell out at some point, and still peeved I just black taped up the hole.

Well now I am REALLY annoyed - the driver's side fog light is now cracked!. So I have a potential £300 bill for two bits of glass.

Has anyone else suffered this on the Leon, all the cars I have had in the past all had fog lights and I have never had this sort of problem before, surely this can't be right?

If I do have these replaced (and its doubtfull) what can I do to minimise it, put sellotape over them?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
cstevens said:
all the cars I have had in the past all had fog lights and I have never had this sort of problem before, surely this can't be right?

but then the roads have probaly not been as badly conditioned or under maintained as they are now mind too

sux huh

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Yeah true.

Think I will just tape up the other one and not bother replacing them until I sell it in a few years

Red LCR TDI

Feb 15, 2006
Portsmouth
I have a set of oval fogs you can have for £10 if you wanna pay for postage or pick them up and don't mind waiting a few weeks till i get home. Is the price they gave you for fitting as well, cos they are dead easy and i was qouted £120 for a set of cupra r foglights.

If you think £300 is ridiculous for two new foglights, I got stitched with a £300 bill just to rewire mine, as they wouldn't turn on.

btw, the spare fogs i have are oval from a year 200 leon, i think they fit, but you prob should check first. it it fits, it would save you about £280.

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
If they fit, that would be fantastic, thanks.

I have a 55 plate the FR though, so I am not sure. Although they look similar (comparing to my mates Cupra R) - Does anyone know if they fit?

To be fair I'll buy em anyway nothing lost really if they dont fit.

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Just spoke to Ted Johnson, and they have told me that they quoted for the entire unit as they don't supply replacement glass!.

I am thinking maybe if yours don't fit just getting some perspex cut to fit and just stick it on. Any chance someone can get me a measurement of their existing glass, as one of mine has gone and the other one will disintrgrate if I try to remove it.

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
Cold air feed time I think.

I have 2 cupra r fogs that will be going up for sale soon.

Had to get rid of them (and most of the bumper :lol: ) to fit the custom FMIC

How much they worth 2nd hand???

Really tho mate, bit of black air feed pipe and away you go :thumbup:

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
If the Cupra R ones will fit a FR bumper, then I am definately up for buying them from someone (although I will probably cover them in selotape to prevent this happening again).

If not I might try to just get some perspex over them instead, but if like you say its a whole unit then I probably wont be able to get it slotted in.

Red LCR TDI

Feb 15, 2006
Portsmouth
The Cupra R ones are different from those on an FR, otherwise i would be keeping the oval ones i have.

You are welcome to the oval ones cvstevens, and BHP Addict i would be interested in the Cupra R ones you have.

Putting selotape over prob should help, as that is essentially all the stonchip protecting film is, just a bit thicker.

PM if you want the oval ones, and same if i can buy the R ones off you BHP addict.

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Red LCR TDI said:
The Cupra R ones are different from those on an FR, otherwise i would be keeping the oval ones i have.

You are welcome to the oval ones cvstevens, and BHP Addict i would be interested in the Cupra R ones you have.

Putting selotape over prob should help, as that is essentially all the stonchip protecting film is, just a bit thicker.

PM if you want the oval ones, and same if i can buy the R ones off you BHP addict.

Thanks mate, you have PM :)

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
I've had a chunk out of the glass on the RHS fog since three weeks after I got the LC and decided I won't pay the ludicrous price to replace it.

Use the plastic from a disposable plastic pint beer glass (free at all good beer festival or outdoor events etc) cut to size with normal scissors and slot into place between the grey fairing and the glass.

It's been suprisingly durable and has picked up a few extra scratches but keeps the unit watertight until I find and fund a proper replacement

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Good idea that one. Hopefully I will be buying "red LCR tdi" old fog lights off him, and then I will definitely be doing some preventitive measures.

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Right, me again.

I now have a nice new set of fog lights, but cant for the life of me work out the best way to pop the grills out on an FR. I dont want to break the clips.

Anyone have an idea of how to get these in?

NeilC

Has left the fold...
Mar 23, 2004
somewhere else
Which shape have you got? An FR that looks like an R or the other one?
The R bumper ones just pull out with a good tug. Dunno about the other ones but i'd hazard a guess it may be described in the manual under tow eye fitting?

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Which shape have you got? An FR that looks like an R or the other one?
The R bumper ones just pull out with a good tug. Dunno about the other ones but i'd hazard a guess it may be described in the manual under tow eye fitting?

The "other" one. It seems to have clips all the way around it inside and no easy way to pop them, I dont want to snap them all, will check out the manual.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
I'm sorry what fog are these your replacing, as i have cracked another Fog in my FR Tdi the Oval type and it get a replacement from the parts department at my Seat Dealer for £70 each and it takes no lie 35 secs to change, 3 screws a clipped in grill and thats it finished!!

£300 is a a rip of do it for £70 and do it urself even a 4 year old could do a fog change on a Leon....

If its the R type lights, i dont know if there similiar price but should be just as easy....

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
I'm sorry what fog are these your replacing, as i have cracked another Fog in my FR Tdi the Oval type and it get a replacement from the parts department at my Seat Dealer for £70 each and it takes no lie 35 secs to change, 3 screws a clipped in grill and thats it finished!!

£300 is a a rip of do it for £70 and do it urself even a 4 year old could do a fog change on a Leon....

If its the R type lights, i dont know if there similiar price but should be just as easy....

Yep its the FR Tdi (not the LCR bumper). I have the fog lights now, but still cant figure out how to get the pesky grills out to change them.

You say it only takes 30 secs, but I couldnt figure out how to get the grills out without braking the clips, and I couldnt see any screws, or is that just after I get the grill out?

I tried prising the clips, but thought they might break.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
ok, in my FR the Cupra not cupra R bumper.. there is a single screw on the outside edge of the bumper, basically the end nearest the fog light. Take that out then your find the grill pops out that side first then pull the grill sideways away from the bumper and the grill is off...
Then you need a torque driver to take out the two screws holding in the Fog lamp... take those out and pull the fog light out... unplug from the back. Take the bulb out of the old one and put into the new one (yes the new one doesnt have a bulb in it.. lol)
Then do the reverse to fit... the grill going back on it reversed, so push the two clips into the slots in the bumper edge then push the grill right in till its sitting agains the ridge behind the grill, then put screw back in and thats it....
Any problems give us a pm and i'll try and take some pics...

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Thanks mate, will go out in a little while to have a go.

The fog lights I have been given actually have the bulbs in them, so thats one less job for me:)

Will let you know how it goes.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise