pela pump

pillgrim1

Nov 7, 2009
hi guys
am thinking about getting a pela pump and do my own oil changes
my tdi 150 leon apparantly needs an oil change every 6000 miles
my question is will the pela do the job cos i have read that it does not fit all cars depending on the neck of the dipstick, as anyone used one successfully cheers

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
use one regularly on my wives 110 toledo,pretty sure most VAG dipstick are very similar in width.
the pela tube you insert is very similar to the brake cable housing on a bike,but slightly smaller in diameter. i never have to get under my wives car to change the oil and filter.It has earned its money back in spades.

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
i try do mine every 5k and ive used a pump before on a 180 LC so it should fit the diesel, as mine came with three different size tubes to fit different size dipstick tubes.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
y not just undo the sump plug??

yeh, much easier and removes all the oil, we've had this arguement so many times at work when it comes to the suction pump. Where the dipstick is, it is not at the deepest part of the sump - so you still end up with almost a litre of sh1tty used oil left in the sump and all the settled crap aswell, but each to there own i suppose. I've dropped the oil in mine twice in 6 months and always use fully synthetic millers and never use the pump.

robo999

NEV
Apr 21, 2005
leicestershire
me neither put the millers oil in every 8k. ive never even seen one of them pumps. when i was training it was always take out the sump plug. fair enough it might be less labour but id rather see if anything comes out on the plug.

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
plug comes out most times its just if its cold and wet when dont have anywer but the drive to do it its bit easier.
i managed to get just about everything that went in, out the last time as its got a marker on side to see how much.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Each to there own like, i'd always prefere to do a proper oil drop but i have access to a ramp when ever i need to. These pumps are a good way to earn some fast cash but are flawed, especially when you have to remove the undertray to change the oil filter on some models like the 20vt anyway - so why not just pop out the sump plug at the same time?

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
took my sump plug off my vrs after using the pela,nothing cam out.plug was ok.
Used it a few times on mine and other cars,no problems yet.I just find it much easier on my wifes tolly,to do it this way,i have no pit,and the days have gone where i lie on my drive to get cut knuckles,oil filter is in the engine bay,i can do an oil change in half hour without breaking a sweat .

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
i have purchased one from machine mart but have not used yet oil change due in new year

noticed that halfrauds now sell a pump ot a pela pump but still a vacuum pump

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i can see the point of them just like what mj says though suppose down 2 preference really. i dont mind lying on ma back and all that. lol

i'm nudging 40 and have spent years doing that on my drive,it now takes me a few days to recover from a day on my back under a motor. :shrug:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.