Personal data request for SEAT Connect extension

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
We would like to extend our SEAT Connect data plan so we can continue to receive map updates. However, going through the SEAT Connect web shop, when we try and pay for the year's extension, it requests my wife's passport number and date of birth. This is a ridiculous request given this is simply a straightforward retail purchase (when SEAT already had everything they needed for my wife to have the first year's data subscription anyway). A passport number is a key piece of identity verification which is normally only used for things such as Government web site use. Has anyone else faced this request?

Last edited:

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
We would like to extend our SEAT Connect data plan so we can continue to receive map updates. However, going through the SEAT Connect web shop, when we try and pay for the year's extension, it requests my wife's passport number and date of birth. This is a ridiculous request given this is simply a straightforward retail purchase (when SEAT already had everything they needed for my wife to have the first year's data subscription anyway). A passport number is a key piece of identity verification which is normally only used for things such as Government web site use. Has anyone else faced this request?

I think this stems from Spanish consumer law. When making a purchase via credit or debit card in Spain you have to verify it with government issued ID which for them is a (DNI/NIE number). Same with online purchases in Spain.

I'm guessing that the payment for Seat Connect must be handled by Seat S.L and not Seat UK and that's why they require this information.

Look at it the same way as when you're paying with a credit or debit card on holiday in Spain they ask for additional ID, this is due to their consumer law.

As someone else suggested you could put in a fake number, but if something happened and they required verification it could be classed as fraud...so beware.

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
That’s really interesting and would explain a lot. I’m guessing that someone at SEAT Connect has somehow forgotten that (a) this is not required in the UK and, (b) for better or worse, we are no longer part of the EU. Perhaps someone at SEAT UK should take some ownership here.

Deleted member 123864

That’s really interesting and would explain a lot. I’m guessing that someone at SEAT Connect has somehow forgotten that (a) this is not required in the UK and, (b) for better or worse, we are no longer part of the EU. Perhaps someone at SEAT UK should take some ownership here.
Irrelevant. You're purchasing from Seat in Spain so Spanish law applies.

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire

I'm guessing it works as some sort of reciprocal agreement, you're product is being provided by 'Spain' so we have to abide by their rules despite leaving the EU.

I suppose its similar to flying on a EU registered airline on a domestic flight within the UK (very rare these days) even though you would be flying between London and Glasgow on Ryanair (reg in Ireland) for example you would still be entitled to the EU passenger compensation scheme as the airline has to abide by them regardless of the airports it's flying between.

The only thing that will happen with the passport details is it will be stored alongside your credit card info for up to 6 years (subject to GDPR) and used in case you dispute the transaction.

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
Irrelevant. You're purchasing from Seat in Spain so Spanish law applies.
The key point though is that we have purchased our cars here in the UK and our purchase contracts are with SEAT UK via the dealership network. No different than with BMW. If SEAT Connect is via Spain then that has crept in under the radar.

Deleted member 123864

I'm guessing it works as some sort of reciprocal agreement, you're product is being provided by 'Spain' so we have to abide by their rules despite leaving the EU.

I suppose its similar to flying on a EU registered airline on a domestic flight within the UK (very rare these days) even though you would be flying between London and Glasgow on Ryanair (reg in Ireland) for example you would still be entitled to the EU passenger compensation scheme as the airline has to abide by them regardless of the airports it's flying between.

The only thing that will happen with the passport details is it will be stored alongside your credit card info for up to 6 years (subject to GDPR) and used in case you dispute the transaction.
EU261 was transposed into UK law and is known as UK261 there. Also, most internal UK Ryanair flights are flown by Ryanair UK using G registered aircraft.

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
We wrote to the SEAT Connect help desk re the use of the Passport number and received the following interesting response:

"We are very sorry to hear that you are having difficulties using our services.
Please we have to inform you the word "Passport" is not the correct one, out technical department is working on solve the issue. We recommend you to put your S-PIN instead and finally you can renew our services."

I thought the S-PIN was supposed to be kept totally confidential (as the means of linking the ID to the car). We've queried this too so await to see the outcome.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.