Pete-225's Leon Cupra R 225

Pete225

Mar 31, 2013
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
No worries mate.

I've had a gander on eBay, and have seen a few kits :)

I'm definitely going to do it, but think I'll get a kit in a few months, but carry on with what I'm doing for now, just feels like your sanding back and forth constantly lol

Richy Cupra

Fully paid member
Jul 6, 2011
Essex
No worries mate.

I've had a gander on eBay, and have seen a few kits :)

I'm definitely going to do it, but think I'll get a kit in a few months, but carry on with what I'm doing for now, just feels like your sanding back and forth constantly lol

Fair enough bud, as I said before what you have done doesn't look to bad tbh

Pete225

Mar 31, 2013
Latest update :D

As I don't finish work till 5pm, and by the time I've been to the gym and had tea and put the kids to bed its usually about 8.30pm.... So I knew it would be too late to start the second half of the charge pipe :(

However, I thought I would start some sanding, which then turns into more than just signing :whoops:

I took my engine cover off. I originally painted it with halfords red, high temp paint, and then finished it with red metallic high temp paint.
I was relatively happy with my painting skills, and it looked really smart in the right light (only when the sun hit it) but it looked to dry, and matt, so I thought I would sand it down and start again.

The original finished piece:
ry7u6ana.jpg

Sanded down using 100 grit sand paper:
de9asa2u.jpg

9u4evata.jpg

I then decided to take the black cover off in front of the inlet manifold. I quite like the dimple effect and want to keep some of the OEM features.
Wiped it down with a rag and white spirit.

a4ysuran.jpg

I used red very high temperature paint, and its a little deeper and richer than the halfords one, which is what I wanted. I'm not bothered about metallic, as I'm laquering it after :D
The same process will be done with the black plastic, however I'm using gloss black simoniz high temp paint.

These are the results:

pu3ame5a.jpg

hunusuhu.jpg

2a8ypa5y.jpg

ejany2a6.jpg

edeperas.jpg

What do you think? Thanks for looking

Pete225

Mar 31, 2013
UPDATE:

I didn't do anything on the car as I've not been all that well :( so I found some get up and go tonight (how is still beyond me) and decided to carry on with the engine cover etc.

From the last pic above, you can see in some parts the paint is still a little wet, however, whilst I was pleased with my efforts, it wasn't perfect.
I began sanding it down gently with 1200 grit, and then again with 1500 grit, and the paint remained intact (heart was throbbing in case I scratched it off) and dusted down with a big towel.

The finish was smooth, and no longer had tiny bubbles in it, so I gave it another coat, with 30minute intervals, and here's the finished result, even happier this time and no imperfections, and a deep vibrant red that I wanted to achieve :D

9eqy5ehu.jpg

ejymuneq.jpg

3u9yhe5u.jpg

I followed the same method for the cover infront of the inlet manifold, and this has turned out even better too :D

unyse7a9.jpg

abe2egaq.jpg

Once these are fully dry, it's then time to put my lacquering skills to the test "/ lol

Pete225

Mar 31, 2013
Plus another cheeky "mod"

(Please excuse the dirt!!!)

9a2yhare.jpg

In other news this arrived yesterday too :D :D happy Father's Day to me, from me :D :D (completely forgot to mention this above :()

ve2ygeqa.jpg

edu9y5yz.jpg

Might have to go and fit it, 2 days till I buy the aluminium as well!!

Thanks for reading.

Pete225

Mar 31, 2013
Had the day off as the man virus took over!!

However by lunch I felt good enough to crack on and finish what I had started!

I made a massive mistake by spraying black paint on the engine cover instead of lacquer, but got the white spirit out, and all is good (few!!)
So after that balls up, I actually lacquered the black plastic that sits in front of the inlet manifold, and the engine cover. They both look great, however the engine cover will need sanding in 2 places, repainting, and then lacquering, as my 2 year old daughter thought it would be good to poke it when it was drying saying it looked beautiful. She's a sweety, but I could have flipped, but she didn't know what she was doing :(

These are the pics, luckily where my daughter poked the engine cover it isn't a major problem, and I was able to rectify it to the best of my ability, but perfection is a must!!

aty5yry8.jpg

unu9aba4.jpg

uze8e5er.jpg

4ubupy8a.jpg

The black line is a scratch on the lens :(
sa6e7y7a.jpg

e8ety5u8.jpg

And I even got the jetex cone fitted :D after a quick trip to halfords for 2x jubilee clips and cable ties.
Haven't taken it for a spin yet, turned it over a tapped the accelerator but had to keep the noise down, as next door neighbours little girl goes to bed at 6.30 (it's just kids everywhere round here!!)
So I can't wait to take it for a spin!!

a6adu6y5.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Pete225

Mar 31, 2013
Update: pic heavy:

Looked outside, and the weather was pretty pathetic, so decided there was one thing for it..... A spot of painting.

I had a look in the bay, and had a look at my plastic panel in front of the inlet manifold, and no bubbling = result. Will be repainting it at some point in the next few days, as I'm not entirely happy with the finish.

Next step was to put the engine cover on:
ejarypuj.jpg

e5y2u6ap.jpg

eqenu7ys.jpg

patytyba.jpg

I took one look at my battery cover, and was disgusted at how dirty and shabby it looked! (You can see from my last pic).

So I took it off and gave it a thorough clean:

Before:
5a5ahaba.jpg

myvaby8e.jpg

After: (
za4a6ahy.jpg

Then I masked up the original sticker, as I wanted to keep it as OEM as possible :)
e4yjyjep.jpg

Two coats later and 8 hours to dry, this is the finished result, which to date, I think is my best painting work yet :)

ydyhyne4.jpg

by6ary3a.jpg

This ones to show the reflection ;)
upe4y7yb.jpg

Put together...
nugaha4e.jpg

Test fit with middle piece in (sprayed separately, held in with some masking tape haha)
sazebyve.jpg

6yhygejy.jpg

All I need to do is blast it with some lacquer, and its good to go back on over the battery.

A quick cheeky night shot if the bay:
u9ygabuj.jpg

Next weekend, full in depth clean!!

Pete225

Mar 31, 2013
Not updated this in a while, been manic with work and the family!! Went to the deep in hull two weekends ago, which was rather cool, so didn't get much time on the car :(

So through out last week and the weekend I thought I would spend some more time detailing the bay.
1st off I removed the original cold air feed that I had left in, and was able to lower the induction kit a little, so that it was pressed forcefully on the old bracket like it was before (however still steady and no movement :D)
a3y4urad.jpg

I also removed the funny shaped plastic piece that fitted on to the feed, sitting above the intercooler pipe
2etuze2u.jpg

I then went on to remove some plastic pieces for spraying (including second coat of the battery cover, and third coat on the inlet manifold plastic, as I wasn't happy with it) ... Imperfection in pics below:
2eve6uzu.jpg

ytuty4ud.jpg

va3urahu.jpg

The parts for the scrap :)
2avy8eta.jpg

I went on to sand the plastic scoop as it was as rough as a badgers arse, and re sanded the inlet mani plastic, whereas the fuse box cover was all good, and thoroughly cleaned them all, then wiped them down with white spirit....
ujumaju9.jpg

Leon Cupra R 225 - 80mm Jetex Cone - De Cat - Forge Boost Pipe - More To Come :p http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=380366

Pete225

Mar 31, 2013
Continued... (If I post too much in one reply my tapatalk doesn't like it and gets mardy, so apologies!)

I then went on to spraying everything, and had enough to give the scoop and fuse cover two coats, after letting them dry for 30 hours!
After lacquering etc, this is the finished result, and a much better finish all round now :)
re9equze.jpg

qabyjebe.jpg

azy2uheb.jpg

zy8ema9y.jpg

ma4y9u6e.jpg

Haha look at the reflection of my window :D

6a2ubeqe.jpg

The finished batch
qete9y2y.jpg

And all fitted (sorry for the amount of pics):
qasyhumu.jpg

Especially pleased with the OEM detailing:
6y2ate5a.jpg

ehepujy8.jpg

3abe9u5e.jpg

Might redo the top little bit again :shrug:
tysa9e9e.jpg

The finished result :D
y8yjegep.jpg

And just paid for 6months tax boo!! :( and a new tyre booked in 1st thing in the morning!
Thanks for reading

Leon Cupra R 225 - 80mm Jetex Cone - De Cat - Forge Boost Pipe - More To Come :p http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=380366

Pete225

Mar 31, 2013
UPDATE:

Well it's the eve of GTI Internationals, so I thought I would prep my car ready :D

Finished work early especially, so I took on the help from my new recruit.... My 2 and 1/2 year old daughter! Start them young I say!!
dutumyre.jpg

ubu7uqyb.jpg

I used triple wax shampoo, then waxed it after properly, and impressed with the results (the black re-occurring vertical mark is a scratch on my lens :():

ejezy8y7.jpg

ese8abe4.jpg

4yteneju.jpg

y9a4etym.jpg

ute8eqyb.jpg

uqabusu5.jpg

2upuzuvu.jpg

I then started detailing the bay:

Before:

rububeta.jpg

Didn't take any more as I just got stuck in ;)

After:

u5e5yvub.jpg

From previous pictures, you can see the black soot like markings on the yellow paint in the bay. Not anymore though, took some elbow grease, but I got there.

Cheeky Night shot:

vuha4ana.jpg

Thanks for reading. See you all tomorrow at GTI Internationals :-D

Pete225

Mar 31, 2013
Had a great day at Inters :D

Rather sunburnt though!!
So if anyone is going I would recommend a tshirt as there is hardly any shade!! Unless you take refuge under the trade stand tents lol.

Met a few SCN members, and I even found Mr RDS (aka Richard)
Just for you xDaNx ;)
It took me 3 attempts but I found him and thanked him.

If I'd have had the money I would have spent a fortune, and SFS had some great discounts on too.
A few pics from the day:

bu6ene7e.jpg

yve7u9up.jpg

a3enubez.jpg

evyhepa4.jpg

supazuja.jpg

8e5e9yhe.jpg

TT RS:
epetuza7.jpg

u2e5a3yz.jpg

qy7a3y9a.jpg

R8:
atajuzyr.jpg

qadu2a4u.jpg

Randoms:
e7yzeqa2.jpg

ezuhy9yr.jpg

vu3ugyhy.jpg

y9ysy2yj.jpg

y4ataryj.jpg

e4u2y8u3.jpg

5ujagage.jpg

e6amagyv.jpg

yzy6amyg.jpg

bugy8u8y.jpg

egu2ana7.jpg

ha7yty3u.jpg

he8y8u7u.jpg

a6ebumer.jpg

bypu2y7y.jpg

y7yzyju3.jpg

5u6yhu6y.jpg

6ysuremu.jpg

uruneheb.jpg

RDS's motor :)
2u9yhahy.jpg

ytyzu8u8.jpg

enaqavu2.jpg

aza9y3u9.jpg

zemy4eje.jpg

Thanks for reading :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.