Phantom problem - Help appreciated

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Right so it all started a few days ago when I set off from a set of lights went for 2nd gear and it wouldn't go, gear stick had gone floppy and couldn't engage any gears. Before crying and after wiping my arse i pulled over and look under the bonnet and luckily all that had happened was the gear selector (if thats what its called) had jumped off the pin on the shifter, the metal cap that clips it in place had gone. I put the plastic selector back on the pin and went on my way steadily and everything was fine!

Now a couple of days ago while driving second gear was impossible to to get in to once again but with a real shove the other gears were selectable, but this came with other strange symptoms as well, the clutch seemed to engage in 1st ALOT sooner than it usually does and it would make a horrible judder until it started to get moving and as it was juddering a metallic tapping sound can be heard under the bonnet. As I pulled on to my drive I noticed the judder had gone and everything was back to normal. I put this down to the plastic gear selector maybe dislodging itself as it isnt very secure any more? Either way the car was back to normal and the issue had gone...

Low and behold on the way to my girlfriends just now 2nd gear again had dissapeared and i couldnt select any gears, i pull over and check the selector is still on the pin.. which it was? Now this time it was bad, really bad.. all gears stiff as anything and violent juddering when setting off.. the clutch need only be lifted a mere milimetre now and the car is lurching forward and when shifting gears the car would seem to rock... This all coming to an end at a set of lights and im stuck [:@] somebody had to push me off the road. I couldnt get it in gear full stop now! I jump out and check the selector and its all in place so I push it in to gear from under the bonnet and start it with the clutch down, this gets me moving and im able to continue my journey.. until.. the next set of lights where... :confused: as i shift down everything feels normal, Yup everything is normal again.. what the :wtf:

Sorry for the long post but has anybody any idea what could be causing this? Obviously the gear selector needs sorting and the metal cap replacing to make sure its secure but is it JUST that or is something nasty about to go or already gone?

Thanks for your help in advance

EDIT: I could select all gears easily when at a standstill but not when moving (except for when it completely went in the end)

Also something I've noticed is while its very hard to get in to gear its also VERY easy to push it out of gear, easier than it should be

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Also 1 last thing to add that I forgot, when stood still and cycling through the gears when the issue is apparent when selecting 6th you hear a weird creaking sound from under the gear stick, this is only audible from inside the car!?

westie309

Sep 29, 2007
Walsall west mids
You may have more than one problem here mate but it sounds clutch/selector related rather than gearbox failing if you can select gears via the selector on top of box but not the lever itself, I would try the easiest and cheapest options first which are bleeding the clutch and the gearbox selector reset process, check the selector cables too and make sure nothing is interfering with them moving, frays/links etc,failing that it's gearbox off time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Ok mate cheers, just to add to my luck the car is going in gear easy enough today, a very slight judder on set off but clutch engaging at normal point on pedal, only to find the clutch is now slipping like a bitch :(

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Ill get under and have a look when I get chance, I did have a nasty knock on a speed bump the other day though when tbis all started happening (car is lowered)

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Another thing ive noticed on idle there is a vibration running through the car that was never there before and this disappears when the clutch is pressed down!?

westie309

Sep 29, 2007
Walsall west mids
Sounds more and more like a clutch problem mate,prob release bearing and slave cylinder gone or damaged in the whack it had, gearbox off time I reckon bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
So a little update, driving earlier and all of a sudden gear changes felt normal, very smooth and not missing any gears (usually having to crunch/force it in gear)

Now the clutch was only slipping intermittently not all the time.. but now the gear changes are smooth and it feels like theres no resistance the clutch is slipping like a real bitch! Ive unplugged the n75 for the time being (cheers brad)

The juddering and metallic clanking noise on set off is still there but I can live with it for the time being now I can get it in gear without a fight! So looks like clutch and flywheel it is! Let me know how you get on please Brad

Cheers guys

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Will do mate. Like I said I'll be doing mine next weekend. Luckily for me it's just my clutch that's had it. Yours sounds like flywheel aswell lol. Doesn't matter really as you should change both anyway while the box is out.

I'm debating whether to just chuck another genuine LUK clutch and dual mass flywheel in as they can handle the power, it's only slipping because it's the original clutch and after mapping the car to over 300ibft torque it's not surprising it's not holding up.
Or put a valeo single mass flywheel in and clutch kit from eurocarparts. Heard they are pretty decent and can handle the power going by what's been said on here...

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Will do mate. Like I said I'll be doing mine next weekend. Luckily for me it's just my clutch that's had it. Yours sounds like flywheel aswell lol. Doesn't matter really as you should change both anyway while the box is out.

I'm debating whether to just chuck another genuine LUK clutch and dual mass flywheel in as they can handle the power, it's only slipping because it's the original clutch and after mapping the car to over 300ibft torque it's not surprising it's not holding up.
Or put a valeo single mass flywheel in and clutch kit from eurocarparts. Heard they are pretty decent and can handle the power going by what's been said on here...

What price you looking at for these 2 ?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.