Philips DRL which ones to choose??

mark-cupra

FR TFSI
Sep 11, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
I've been wanting some daytime running lights for a while now and with not having a btcc kit fitted so i could do the drilling 4 holes into the bumper mod i have been after something else.

I didnt want some cheap ones that would last 5 minutes off ebay and found that philips do some, if your an ibiza or leon fl owner then you can get some that come with moulds around and fit in an oem way but if like me your a pre-fl owner you can buy just the lights and fit them yourself where you want.
they look really good kits but are quite expensive, theres 2 different ones and i dont know which to go for

theres the 4 LED ones:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-LED-DAYLIGHT-4-DAYTIME-RUNNING-LIGHTS-KIT-DRL-/261104850884?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ccb0fd7c4

and the 8 LED ones:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-LED-Daylight-8-Daytime-Running-Kit-DRL-/380484488388?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5896a48cc4

those are the best prices ive found for some, alot of places charge double that for each one!

has anybody used these and even fitted to a leon?

the 8 LED ones also come with a dimming function where theyll stay on all the time and dim when your headlights are on where as the 4 LED ones just go off when any other lights are on unless you dont wire them up to detect that the headlights are on in which case theyll be on full brightness all the time

Sorry for the essay haha! :p

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2011
Sheffield
I just got these for £10.99 and they are brilliant quality. Going to replace the custom LEDs in my BTCC grills and custom build these units in to work with the DRL control unit instead.

mark-cupra

FR TFSI
Sep 11, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent

Thanks for that, yh they look good, think im gonna go with the drl 8s so they auto dim when the lights come on to save having to buy and mess around with wiring in something else to do the job, for £40 more its a feature worth having i think

hopefully they'll fit like you have done them or otherwise ill fit them another way, still havent decided yet haha, did you cut away at the grill at all to make them fit or do the supplied brackets fit ok?

did you get some for £10.99 rik? how did you get them that cheap lol?

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
Thanks for that, yh they look good, think im gonna go with the drl 8s so they auto dim when the lights come on to save having to buy and mess around with wiring in something else to do the job, for £40 more its a feature worth having i think

hopefully they'll fit like you have done them or otherwise ill fit them another way, still havent decided yet haha, did you cut away at the grill at all to make them fit or do the supplied brackets fit ok?

did you get some for £10.99 rik? how did you get them that cheap lol?

No need to cut, i just used some 3M adhesive to stick the leds to the spoiler.

mark-cupra

FR TFSI
Sep 11, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Ah right, i was gonna say lol, they look alright yh, i just wanted a proper make to be sure theyre gonna be good quality and last and like i say they have this dimming function too, they seem to get good reviews off everyone, mainly seem to be in america not many uk people seem to have bought them but maybe its because they dont wanna pay the money lol, i dont really want to but ill forget about it once its done with haha

mark-cupra

FR TFSI
Sep 11, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Suppose :/ ive sorta just got my mind set on the philips now though lol, ill upload pics of whatever i end up doing :) have you got pics of yours with the new ones you've bought?