Planning to buy a Leon, many questions!

skk

Jul 14, 2014
Hello guys

New Seatcupra member here, a proud owner of a MK5 Ibiza
I have been trying to sell my Ibiza for a long time and hopefully will do so next week if the buyer wont flake.

Why hopefully? Because I have been keeping my eye on the Mk3 Leon since its launch.
My local dealer also has a pretty decent sale at the moment for Leons. My plan is to buy a 1.4TSI 103kw Leon FR, 5 door version with a LED pack and metallic paint ( comes with the offer, also the so called winter pack? is standard where I live. )

As I have been lurking in this forum for many months, I have some questions and would like your help and advice in some matters.

The Leon FR-s in the dealers special offer are all 2014 versions, this means most probably they are trying to get rid of cars produced like half a year ago.

Do I understand correctly that from July 2014, they are producing the 2015 year model?

What are the main changes besides the new engine
( we have a 1.4tsi 110kw petrol on the engine list, no possibility to order a 103kw version from the factory anymore ) the 5% increase in price and the updated acessories ist ( DSG etc.)

2015 model year or 2014 with a good offer.

The year 2015 110kw model is 1000 EUR ( 800.- £) more expensive, besides that to get the LED pack I would have to buy it ( additional 500 £ ) and also the metallic paint ( price depends on the colour ). So that would make the car like 2500 € more expensive than the 2014 model with a LED pack and metallic paint. Is the new 110kw ACT engine worth it ? Seems I have answered my question already but what would you do?

Seat Media System Plus

Leons here are offered with the basic Media System. I hate the small screen on it. Does anybody know whether the Media System Plus or Satnav can be installed at the dealers or is it only available for factory orders.

Front and rear parking sensors

If installed at the dealers, are they connected with the Media System screen or do they have to be optical for this function ? If optical, then is it possible to fit them at the dealers or is is a factory order again ?

Paint quality

Read from a different topic that some owners are complaining about the paint quality. My current Seat is Emocion Red and I too can find stone chips. Is this an issue of all non metallic colours ?Should I prefer metallic paint? If yes, why (besides better look)

LED lights during winter, night time
LED lights do not emit as much heat as the halogen or xenon headlights do. Does anybody have experience with Seat Leon LED light pack during winter time, especially during heavy snow or wet snow? (Wasnt that Mercedes Benz that installed heaters into their LED headlights due to this issue ) I have not seen proper pictures or reviews to compare the LED/Halogen on Seat Leon MK3. Maybe someone could help me out with this topic. Some pictures from the night time would be fantastic. This is important because in Scandinavia the winters are usually dark and that hell time lasst from october til the beginning of april, they are cold, snowy etc. Good visibility during all conditions is a very important safety issue for me.

Wind and road noise:

Your opinion on this. Any previous Leon or Ibiza owners maybe? I personally didnt notice much of it. Also, compared to VW Golf 7 I test drove, it sounded similar.

And now your opinion, which colour do you guys think suits the best for a MK3 Leon? I know there are already several topics about this question already but I would like to hear your opinion again. Also, what is important in this matter is that during the winter time roads are salted and cars get dirty very quicky. A picture with your opinion could help me to decide.
I`m between Red or White... As my current ride is red, I would like something different. White colour expresses all the road dirt on the body perfectly, so does black IMHO. Besides that, black colour tends to fade and show all scratches and paint swirls very easily. Silver is out of the question, I just dont like it on a Leon ( fits for a Corolla or a VW Golf ).... Monsoon grey maybe?

Thanks, I appreciate all answers and advice you give me...

Last edited:

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
If you fancy white but want something a bit different, how about dynamic grey? It's close to white... I short listed the same colours as you but wanted different, and after seeing dynamic in the flesh went for it.

Unfortunately not got the car yet, so can't help with the other questions!

BigfatPaulie

Sep 18, 2013
Nottingham
Ive been on LED lights for nearly a year now... Ive found them to be good in all conditions - giving an almost daylight colour, which felt odd at first, but I find it easier on the eyes whilst driving.

Not sure if its just mine, but they are set a little "low" on the road for my liking...

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
Model years - Yes, 2015MY has been in production since June/July. The main changes were the engines, but other variations might depend on country, so can't confirm anything else.

LED lights - they produce virtually no heat. If there is ice on them, they will not defrost themselves like halogen lights would. The beam pattern is quite unusual, but they are auto-levelling and I find them much brighter than some halogen lights I've had on other cars:

Captured on my dash camera the other day:

LEDbeam_zpsd16438bc.jpg

Colour - I would vote red, but I'm biased... :) If you want to hide dirt, grey might be better. I was choosing between red, white, black and silver, so found a few pictures on Google to compare them side-by-side:

Leonfronts_zps4218d174.jpg
Leonrear_zps8410a5b6.jpg

KAI

Aug 16, 2014
www.seatcupra.net
My plan is to buy a 1.4TSI 103kw Leon FR, 5 door version with a LED pack and metallic paint ( comes with the offer, also the so called winter pack? is standard where I live. )
Is the new 110kw ACT engine worth it ? Seems I have answered my question already but what would you do?

New 1.4TSI has more power, better acceleration. A question if durability will not be the price for that...

Does anybody know whether the Media System Plus or Satnav can be installed at the dealers.
Rather not

Front and rear parking sensors[/B]
If installed at the dealers, are they connected with the Media System screen or do they have to be optical for this function ? If optical, then is it possible to fit them at the dealers or is is a factory order again ?
Rather not. Not connected, no OPS.

[/B]Paint quality[/B]
Read from a different topic that some owners are complaining about the paint quality. My current Seat is Emocion Red and I too can find stone chips. Is this an issue of all non metallic colours ?Should I prefer metallic paint? If yes, why (besides better look)
I believe you would find as many complaints from the users with other vendors cars.

Wind and road noise:[/B]
Your opinion on this. Any previous Leon or Ibiza owners maybe? I personally didnt notice much of it. Also, compared to VW Golf 7 I test drove, it sounded similar.
According to some test I found in Internet (140hp MY2014) - in dB:
parked 39,3 dB
0-90 acceleration 73,9 db
130 km/h 66,6

skk

Jul 14, 2014
Thanks for all the answers.

I got my Leon and ofcourse it is a silver one ( as I said at first, Silver doesn´t look good on a Leon, but now I have changed my mind :D ) 1.4tsi 5 door 103kw engine.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members