Please help! 2.0Gti 8V died and now won't start

Nick Nick

Ibiza Veteran, Leon Virgin
Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Hi all,

I had to get towed off the motorway yesterday cos my car lost all power while in the fast lane, and now wont start :(.

Basically just died, like the engine had been turned off, backfired once (or sounded like it) when I put my foot to the floor on the accelerator, but oddly kept the stereo going and all other electrical functions. Now it won't start at all. The engine turns over, and sounds like it really should start, but just wont.

I've run Vag com, and the first time round the result shows:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Chassis Type: 6L - Seat Ibiza
Scan: 01,02,03,08,09,15,17,19,37,44,46,56,69

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 6K0 906 025 C
Component: SIMOSöSIMOSIMOS 4S
Coding: 3502
1 Fault Found:
00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 3A0 907 379
Component: ABS ITTAE 20 GI V00
Coding: 06406
Shop #: WSC 11111
No fault code found.

The 00513 was due to me shorting the speed sensor by accident while installing a navigation unit, which caused relay 30 (ECU?) to get extremely hot and then 'tick'. When it did this, the car just stopped as it has done now. When the relay had cooled a little, it would go again.

I didn't get any further noise from the relay or problems with the car dying after I moved the speed sensor short, and it has worked fine for a week before dying yesterday.

I cleared the fault codes using VAG, and have re-run diagnostics which now reports no error on either of the above addresses.

I am completely at a loss as to whats happened, and why it wont even attempt to kick into life. Its like turning over an engine with rubber in the spark plug gaps. The only thing I can think of is the fuel pump - no fuel, no go.. There's plenty of fuel in the tank, and all lights work on the dashboard etc.

I've checked all the belts that I can see, and also the timing belt, which all rotate fine.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be eternally grateful and if by any fluke anyone fancies helping now, I'm around all day. I can't go anywhere, even if I wanted to...:cry:

Thanks,
(praying that someone can help)

Nick

betamike25

It does sound like the fuel pump...does the pump make its normal buzzing noise when you turn the ignition on...if not then that is the first thing i would look at....

Nick Nick

Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
There is a noise for a second or so just after turning the ignition on, and sounds like it always does when first turned on (a noise like a pump or a fan testing itself). If I turn the key off, and then back on fairly swiftly, the noise does not occur again.

I'll have a look a the haynes manual and see how much of a mission it is to check the pump itself...

Signor Whippy

Mar 16, 2009
God's Country
Sounds like your pump is ok, if you didn't hear a noise then I would be worried. Check your fuses and your coil pack, it sounds something like that

Good luck

Nick Nick

Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
meant to say thanks to both for your replies!

Jenk: I read a few other posts mentioning the coil - would this just die rather unceremoniously and then not go again from then onwards? i.e. is it kind of like a one-way break - not an intermittent fault? Cos it does sound like something electrical has gone fizz, or pop, rather than a pump which I would imagine would splutter and die a relatively 'noisy' death.
Also, is there anyway I can check it without actually having to replace it to see if its the culprit? - I'm hoping whatever the problem is will be nice and obvious...

Thanks again for everyone's help

Nick

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Yep it just dies, then you have no spark so the engine wont fire......could explain your pop with the fuel being burnt in the exhaust.

The thing is though my plugs were still sparking when mine had failed, took the AA man an hour of messing untill he tried a new coil. Think there only £30 and easy to fit, located on the bulkhead with a lead from the dizzy running to it.

You check it by checking the spark from your spark plugs, but as said mine were still showing a spark.

Nick Nick

Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Check this!

Ok,

Thanks again to all for the help - I was about to do the spark test when I discovered this - !!

(Ok tried to insert an image here, but it wont let me till I'm over 15 posts) - The picture is the only one in my public gallery, but I have no idea how to direct anyone there. Basically shows a broken coil ;)

There are not supposed to be bits of broken plastic sticking up in the gap between the 2 black plastic blocks!!

No wonder it doesn't want to start! It looks like it has properly popped! (which would have been the single backfire I heard).

New coil on order - £40 +VAT. Stealership wanted £90 +VAT!!

I cant thank everyone enough - yet another plaster on my beloved beeza...

Will update when I have fitted the coil later today (fingers crossed).

Nick

Nick Nick

Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Ahh - just noticed the bit in Jenk's reply about the fuel popping - that makes much more sense becuase the pop sounded like it was slightly behind and below the car - I thought something had fallen off when I heard it tbh.

Also, since this is my 16th post :) heres an image of my dead coil!

picture.php

Crap quality, but you get the idea...

Nick Nick

Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Oh yeah!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Brrrrm, Brmmm!! Sweet - she's back up and runnning again, which is nice!

Coil was definately dead, and thanks to all the help, I now have wheels again :D

It's a very simple job, although the back of my hand hurts a little from the plastic wind-guard, becuase I couldn't be bothered to take it off fully :)

I wonder why it popped? Possibly old age - 12 years and 106K miles... (of which i've done a faultless 58K of them, excluding my recent speed sensor mistake!)

The resources available on this site are second to none, so a biggup thanks to all who contributed. Spread the mk2 beeza love!

Cheers,

Nick

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
its excellent you got the help, i would have said the same (same thing happened, but not on the motorway thankfully).

it is very easy to fix, but i lost the bloody nuts under the pollen filters lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise