Possible New Owner... Leon FR 180

BassJay

Hello,

I'm very close to buying a 2005 Leon FR 180 Petrol, It's got 55k on the clock and looks to be in mint condition (Test drive tomorrow, only had a perv at the outside today).

It's going to be on mates rates for £5000...

I'll openly admitt I've only ever owned Fords, I started off with a Mk2 Fezz and currently own a 1.6 Focus 02 plate.

I will be browsing the forums for the next hour picking up what I can but can anyone advise me if its a good price/things to look out for/I know everyone here *should* love them but what are your personal feelings on the car? Could I do better for around the same kind of budget?

All replys very much welcomed and thanks in advance,

Kind Regards
Jay

Usual stuff really obviously you dont want to buy the car and find the tyres are bald and brakes are shot so be sure to check the obvious things first.
Dont have rose tinted glasses on, all that glitters very often is not gold!
Have a good visual check around the car and have a good old look down the panels, front bumper on these are low so bumper scuffs on the bottom/sides are common, check wheels are uncurbed however this is all negotiable.
Pop the bonnet check that everything looks in order and no sign of tampering, feel that the engine is cold and has not been run up prior to your arrival, start the car with the bonnet open, youll hear a pump noise for about a minute this is the secondary air pump that kicks in upon start up with the choke idle.
These engines are not silent but listen that the tick over is smooth and consistant, ill add also that you may hear a ticking noise that can be mistaken for a dodgy tappet/valve this is the carbon canistor and will turn on and off at any time.
Take it for a long drive let it the water temp go up to 90 before giving it some, listen for any knocking of suspension, rattles in the cabin are common and alot can be found on this forum on sorting these.
you want a good healthy pull at about 3000rpm with no hissing just a faint turbo spool up noise, check the rear view mirror for any smoke, check the rev guage at the same time to check for clutch slip, gearboxes can be notchy if abused or worn also.
Check that the car has had regular servicing and especially and most importantly regular oil changes with a good fully sythetic oil.
Cambelt also because of age it should have had one if not it will be due a check.

lastly that is a very good price however there are plenty for sale right now so dont be afraid to look about dont buy the first one you see, Have Fun!:D

BassJay

Thank you very much Captain Cupra!

Forgot to mention it has a FSSH too, but your points are very welcome.

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
You'll notice a big improvement in quality over the Fords. I had a 58 Focus Zetec as a courtesy car (17,000 miles) and it didn't feel as sturdy as my 04 Leon (>100,000).

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.