Possible Stage 2 + boost issues...

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Just got Stage 2 + flashed onto Mk2 LCR. Have sports cat DP, APR HPFP and panel filter.
Tuner was happy with car and so was I on initial test drive and I still am to be honest, quite a beast.
However, on Dyno it seems well down on power, 315bhp. Curve looks good though and good increase from the initial Stage 2 DP only run (i.e. before HPFP fitting etc).
Tuner had one more drive and thinks maybe a boost leak due to a possible sound when WOT. I cant pick this up as yet but am far less experienced. Going to book back in to log the car etc as soon as poss.
Car feels really strong to me but of course seems way down on power compared with other stage 2 + graphs I’ve seen. Surely an intake can’t make all this difference? Tuners opinion is that an intake over panel filter won’t make up the missing 30+bhp that others seem to rock.
I’m sure the Mk2 LCR’s come with revD DV? Not checked this yet. Also did the basic dipstick out when idling to try and identify if PCV was not holding. Car of course juddered as expected with this test.
To soon to worry I suppose until logged and analysed. No fault codes via VAGCOM either i should add...
I’ll try and get a look round all hoses etc before car is logged. Now in my head that its not right though, although as far as I’m concerned it feels like a beast with the Stage 2 +, DP + APR HPFP etc now...
Never simple...
D

Last edited by a moderator:

FR_Kris

The air box is your issue and you will need an intake for the stage 2+ code hence why all the tuners state it as a must have mod. The increased power isn't just from the intake it's all of the parts working together e.g. It's pointless having a free flowing exhaust to get rid of all of those extra engine gases if the turbo is starved of air in the first place. If you don't fit an intake you may as well ditch the fuel pump and revert to stage 2 code and save some cash.

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Kris,

hear what you are saying mate. Will get the logs done anyway though for piece of mind. I did feel a good incease when HPFP was fitted though...

Will start looking at intakes i suppose now, really didnt want to go there...

Thanks for the feedback
D

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
I assume you don't want the intake because of the noise?

yeah mate, daily driver, wife uses it etc etc etc. Just like it to look OEM as well until closer inspection too (dealership warrenty). not that this will matter now : )

Main thing is noise though.
D

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Was the tuner near Renfrew? If its the place that mapped mine, then I think his rollers read abit under. I'm sure I've seen threads with people having cars there and they were down abit.

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
an intake isnt as loud as people think, ofcourse driving in boost, WOT will have an increase in noise but a charged car doesnt roar like an N/A car. Its more suction and chatter thats achieved.

driving normally, the difference is minimal. untill the drive gets spirited does it make a difference, and yet its not that much. i love the noise of my Neuspeed P-Flo, i dont think i could put the OEM back on now.

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Was the tuner near Renfrew? If its the place that mapped mine, then I think his rollers read abit under. I'm sure I've seen threads with people having cars there and they were down abit.

Yeah mate, really sound knowledgable professional guy. I'm not too fussed about headline figs though, just concern of possible boost leaks etc. need to get it logged I know! Could add a hypothetical 20 horses for rollers and then I would be there or there abouts with the lack of intake... : )
Spent all day trying to educate myself on boost leak problems, smashing!
Cheers
D

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
an intake isnt as loud as people think, ofcourse driving in boost, WOT will have an increase in noise but a charged car doesnt roar like an N/A car. Its more suction and chatter thats achieved.

driving normally, the difference is minimal. untill the drive gets spirited does it make a difference, and yet its not that much. i love the noise of my Neuspeed P-Flo, i dont think i could put the OEM back on now.

Cheers for that mate, It will likely happen I suppose!
I drive like the old fart that I am most of the time anyway so would prob be cool!
D

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Yeah mate, really sound knowledgable professional guy. I'm not too fussed about headline figs though, just concern of possible boost leaks etc. need to get it logged I know! Could add a hypothetical 20 horses for rollers and then I would be there or there abouts with the lack of intake... : )
Spent all day trying to educate myself on boost leak problems, smashing!
Cheers
D

Yeah, its best know if you have problem. I have a scanner device you can try if you want? You plug it into the obd port, then use an app on an android/ios device to read codes and check boost etc.

I developed a misfire after stage1. I fitted new coils, plugs and revd valve. Would like to see what mine runs now. It got 298bhp when it got mapped.

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Yeah, its best know if you have problem. I have a scanner device you can try if you want? You plug it into the obd port, then use an app on an android/ios device to read codes and check boost etc.

I developed a misfire after stage1. I fitted new coils, plugs and revd valve. Would like to see what mine runs now. It got 298bhp when it got mapped.

Cheers for offer boss, was scanned at time though, no faults at all!

The link from Kris above for ZBoyds reviews outlines 20bhp is achievable as suggested anyway from intake, but something just isn't right, all mods from Stg1 must provide more than 20 odd bhp, same dyno as you too! The car does feel epic though; to me anyway! Will see what the logging provides!
Thanks again
D

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Cheers for offer boss, was scanned at time though, no faults at all!

The link from Kris above for ZBoyds reviews outlines 20bhp is achievable as suggested anyway from intake, but something just isn't right, all mods from Stg1 must provide more than 20 odd bhp, same dyno as you too! The car does feel epic though; to me anyway! Will see what the logging provides!
Thanks again
D

Davie, it is defo the intake mate, the standard intake struggles to flow more than 300 bhp, with the requested air from stage 2+ the restriction will be unbelievable.

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Davie, it is defo the intake mate, the standard intake struggles to flow more than 300 bhp, with the requested air from stage 2+ the restriction will be unbelievable.

G,

yep sounds like it as suggested above and all over the place : ) Ive had my head in the sand i think...

Ill let tuner log car though just to be safe and sit with knowledge that more horses are avaible until i get an intake!

VW racing effort looks as if it could fit my old man tendancies!!!

Hope all is well too buddy,

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Well a couple of things here.
You have APR stage 2 has it been confirmed the map you have installed is version 3.1?
I had my car stage 2 at awesome and later found they'd actually installed the older version of 2.2.
Version 3.1 is a massive boost on performance over 2.2.
So I was running stage 2 with a panel filter and carbonio as normal intake noise is so annoying and makes your car sound terrible when driving normally.
Don't get me wrong they sound great on boost but terrible the rest of the time. (My opinion)
Anyway I fitted an APR fuel pump which have a boost in performance mainly mid range I thought.
I then fitted my bcs intake which is extremely quiet and my god the performance increase was huge!
I came from a twintake to my bcs and felt the increase was big.
I had to adjust my driving style to stop wheelspin. So in my case stage 2 apr software the intake made a very noticeable difference to power.

After all that is it APR software? I've just finished typing and hoped my memory was right with the software you have.

Last edited:

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Kev, thanks for response / feedback mate. To be honest I'm not sure on map version? Tuner is in direct contact with APR uk so hopefully up to date version??? Ill check next week when car is logged sp very good shout mate, thanks. I did notice massive mid range ooomph (?) with the HPFP too. Interested in the BCS intake, not really read much about this one! Must have missed in a previous post. Sounds more civilised for daily driver. Ill see what the logs say and take it from there though.
Thanks again
D

Last edited by a moderator:

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Yeah but he needs to make sure he has version 3.1 which is the newer more powerful map.
I noticed a massive difference on stage 2 so 2+ will be begging for an intake.
Keep us informed as when the switchable map is available I'm going 2+

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Yeah but he needs to make sure he has version 3.1 which is the newer more powerful map.
I noticed a massive difference on stage 2 so 2+ will be begging for an intake.
Keep us informed as when the switchable map is available I'm going 2+

Defo good shout Kev, ill feedback next week.
Thanks again
D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise