Power Steering failure

Mar 29, 2023
Hi i'm new to posting on here even though I have been looking for a while. On Sunday I had a total loss of power steering in a right turn at a roundabout on my VZ2 310 Leon. It scared me to death as its nearly impossible to steer without the the power steering. I got all the warnings and lights come up . Had the assist people out to look at it and the guy said he would do a battery reset. All the lights cleared and we slowly carried on with our journey. Half a mile from my house turning right and slightly accelerating and bang it all went again. My cars getting picked up by my dealer today so we will see what they say. It has destroyed my confidence in the car. Has anybody else had this issue.

Mar 29, 2023
Finally got my car back today after 5 weeks in the dealers. It now has a new steering rack so hopefully all will be ok.

Railwayman

Jun 13, 2022
Lancashire
Finally got my car back today after 5 weeks in the dealers. It now has a new steering rack so hopefully all will be ok.
Hi i'm new to posting on here even though I have been looking for a while. On Sunday I had a total loss of power steering in a right turn at a roundabout on my VZ2 310 Leon. It scared me to death as its nearly impossible to steer without the the power steering. I got all the warnings and lights come up . Had the assist people out to look at it and the guy said he would do a battery reset. All the lights cleared and we slowly carried on with our journey. Half a mile from my house turning right and slightly accelerating and bang it all went again. My cars getting picked up by my dealer today so we will see what they say. It has destroyed my confidence in the car. Has anybody else had this issue.
Not heard about this particular issue before, possibly a one off? I wonder if owners of other VAG cars have had similar problems

Mar 29, 2023
The only other instance I can find is on the Formentor bit on here

search catastrophic driver aid failures​

The guy had the same as me and from what he said it was a steering rack. I hope its not going to return as we nearly went off the road with it

Mar 29, 2023
Well my car worked fine after they changed the steering rack until Friday night. Drove to Manchester to drop my wife at the airport got to the hotel unloaded the bags on starting the car steering failure again. Got the AA who turned up in the VW assist van plugged it in and came up with codes for steering module failure. This is in the rack so its another new rack required. I am thinking of reporting it to DVSA as I think this is a serious defect. When the power steering fails it is almost impossible to turn the wheel. I'm getting really fed up with this car.

Mar 29, 2023
Well the garage have come back to me and said the steering failed due to ingress of water into the plug on the power steering rack and as this is external influence it is not covered by warranty. I did not drive my car through any floods I did drive in heavy rain but did not see any other cars failing at the side of the road. I find it hard to believe that the plug on a critical component like the steering rack that sits in a very hostile area is not sealed to stop the ingress of water. I am waiting to see how much they want to charge me for the replacement rack. I will be left with a car that I will be afraid to drive in the rain. I have submitted a safety report to DVSA as I really don't think it is acceptable as it is. I will wait and see what happens

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise