Practical weight loss

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Anyone have any novel ideas for shedding weight from the Leon (must still work for running the family about)

Feel free to add on:
1) Remove spare wheel (replace with Tyre Weld?)
2) Ditch the rear headrests (or at least the centre one)

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Run a low petrol level? I must wnar you i hate that tyre weld stuff, i and three of my mates have had to use it and its cr4p! Also if you do get a puncture and you odnt carry your spare the AA wont get you (well they dont have to if they dont want to).

Light weight alloys?

paul26982

ive thought about this

i come up with the following

remove spare wheel
fuel amount
plastic under the engine
lost that massive back box of mine (huge on diesels)

then got stuck, i dont want to lose rear seats exactly as mines pretty much a family car, sure there are engine parts like on the 20VT you could remove what is not needed, dont know what they are mind, its a tuff one

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
make the most of the fact kids get cheaper public transport if you have kids
save you a few stone

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
Remove the rear shelf....
Spare wheel and tool kit
Empty the boot is a very good one so much extra weight carried for no real reason.
Avoid driving adults about they are heavy.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Stop eating big macs .....
Ha ha... I though that one too, its probably one of the best things you can do, I lost a stone in 2 months recently and reckon I could lose another one. That's got to have an effect!

What about plastic panels, my old Fiat Uno Turbo used to have a fibreglass tailgate?

1) Remove spare wheel (replace with Tyre Weld?)
2) Ditch the rear headrests (or at least the centre one)
3) Go on a diet
4) Plastic under engine
5) Parcel shelf
6) Back box (on Diesels)
7) Lightweight alloys
8) Low fuel
9) Low water washer

Last edited:

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Problem is the LCR is quite lardy so even removing head rests etc is not going to make any difference really. If you really want to lose weight then carbon bonnets etc is the way, but if you do PLEASE paint them so they dont like the chav shite that seems to be the trend at the moment.
Do they really expect people to beleive that by not painting a bonnet on a 1.2 corsa its going to be made out of carbon fibre....

paul26982

i want a carbon bonnet at some point i think but sprayed red, might even go to extreme of boot lid, never know

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
The problem with Carbon fibre is they never fit.....

Lighter Alloys
Lighter brake systems are around to.
Bin the aircon and dash board will also make a big difference.

paul26982

as far as i nkew you could, or even fibre glass would do, the veyron etc has carbon bumpers etc like alot of car and there painted

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
Good point handn't thought of it that way.... Although that is probably substantially better carbon fibre than the bonnets they make for normal cars.

Still fibre class is ok to and cheaper and easy to get.

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
Good luck hope you find one, will be a bit noisier though, I think getting rid of the soggy sound deadening would release some weight?

paul26982

wounder if they could get the right curse like the standard bonnet too, tbh on the diesel and for a family car they aint much you can take out

cuprablue

Nov 12, 2006
Replace any steel parts with Titanium or Magnesium parts, (depending on what it is). Don't know about on the Leon but things like intercoolers, radiators etc weigh quite a bit if made from mild steel. Replace mild steel exhaust with proper race spec stainless/titanium one (not SS for road use as they are still too heavy). As said get race spec (magnesium) wheels, brake discs and calipers.

Replace fuel tank with carbon one (if it's possible), replace all bodykit parts with Carbon or thin ABS. Replace all bolts with Titanium ones. Replace stock flywheel with lighter race spec version, (and get ready for some serious engine braking when off the throttle.

Of course all above is if you're serious about loosing weight because it will cost an absolute fortune to achieve.

cuprablue

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members