Price Confusion...

AndiS

Some of you may have already dabbled in my little conversation about MK3 Cupra pricing... I was just wondering...

Rang up about a Black X-plate today, for sale at £6295 with 45K, standard except for what looks like a Miltek backbox... Said he's been offered £6K dead and I think this is pretty much what he's after. Tyres are reasonably new, has 6 months tax and will have full test, but needs a service in the next 1K. Was going to go through and offer £5800 max (Still £575 more than Parkers says it should sell for at at a main dealer), does that sound right?

Now... I thought it did until some lucky chap in wanted has just got the same car (but with an extra 20K) from a garage for £4500... :confused:

I also remember that I turned down a Cupra R for sale (was a bit far away and I'm not a fan of the alloys) that had 56K but he was only asking £5600... Think I missed out there... :doh:

I can't keep up with all this price madness! :cry:

Is it a case of see how long you can hold out? :D

juan

juan
Nov 17, 2005
margate (kent)
ya u just have to wait for the rite one i was looking for about 1-2 months for mine. all the good ones go rite away so u have to be fast look at autotrader every day and ring them a.s.a.p.
there was one on autotrader abit ago going for under £5000 a bargin(if evey thing was ok with it) they are out there but u just have to look and look and keep on look + some luck will help as well.
the price do jump up and down. there was one on they Xreg 45kish nothing done to it he wanted £6500 i just :lol: at him.

flashbsd

waited over a year for mine, i got mien on 19k and was over the moon. i didnt look at price tbh either, as at the time most had 50k+ on them, so it was a lucky find

Jonzy

I paid 4500 for a 80k X plate, full dealer service history (is that a good thing?? ;) )... couple of little niggles that have set me back 200 quid since.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I bought the first one i seen, looked for a grand total of 1 week.

Got it for 6.5k with 30k on the clock.

I'd go for 6k on that car if i was you, if your happy then do it.

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
The fact is, the price of the car is only worth it if you will pay for it! Basically do you think paying 6k for the ibiza cupra with 50k is worth it? If so then that price is alright!

I did the same as Phil bought the first one i went to look at, but then i was looking for a blue one in particular, i looked for a few months, but was in no real rush, as i couldnt drive because i had torn my arm from my shoulder so couldnt drive for months anyway!

bbsboy

Sep 19, 2005
I bought mine for 5300 with 46k on it but getting it perfect has cost me £600 or so

AndiS

Forbez said:
The fact is, the price of the car is only worth it if you will pay for it! Basically do you think paying 6k for the ibiza cupra with 50k is worth it? If so then that price is alright!

I did the same as Phil bought the first one i went to look at, but then i was looking for a blue one in particular

We've just bought a Glass' Guide and I want to pay whatever that says is the going rate for a private, average mileage car, but I think my chances are pretty slim. Cars do come along sometimes for good money and in great condition, I just have to see whether I want to get a good condition car now and pay the price or wait for a bargain. Basically I don't want to pay £6K now, for what might turn up for 5K in a few weeks... That's my problem, with no guide price there are massive leaps between cars and it's really easy to think you're getting a good deal when you're not.

I want a blue one too... So rare... :cry:

Also, that black one isn't from a dealer, I was just saying he wants over the dealer book price. I think I'll bide my time for a bit longer, just make sure I'm ready to pounce on a bargain... This is the first time I've ever struggled to get a car for the right price... :D

Jonzy

AndiS said:
We've just bought a Glass' Guide and I want to pay whatever that says is the going rate for a private, average mileage car, but I think my chances are pretty slim. Cars do come along sometimes for good money and in great condition, I just have to see whether I want to get a good condition car now and pay the price or wait for a bargain. Basically I don't want to pay £6K now, for what might turn up for 5K in a few weeks... That's my problem, with no guide price there are massive leaps between cars and it's really easy to think you're getting a good deal when you're not.

I want a blue one too... So rare... :cry:

Also, that black one isn't from a dealer, I was just saying he wants over the dealer book price. I think I'll bide my time for a bit longer, just make sure I'm ready to pounce on a bargain... This is the first time I've ever struggled to get a car for the right price... :D

Something round the corner will always be cheaper, every time

AlphaMale

Apr 28, 2005
Cardiff
AndiS said:
We've just bought a Glass' Guide and I want to pay whatever that says is the going rate for a private, average mileage car, but I think my chances are pretty slim.

Basically I don't want to pay £6K now, for what might turn up for 5K in a few weeks... I want a blue one too... So rare... :cry:

Glass' Guide is worth nothing on a lot of cars, yes it's a bible for the car industry and when you want to P/X your Cupra for a Clio V6 I am sure Renault will only offer you £4,350 or whatever the book tells him. I was looking at 106 Rallye's for months on end looking for one in average/good condition with no more than 60k on the clock ... could I find one for the Glass' price? NO WAY! There is a small amount of people who own these cars and they ultimatly are keeping the value up there. They want more for a mint Rallye than GTi sellers want

They know if somebody wants a Rallye bad enough they WILL pay the cash. Same story goes for VR6's / Mk1 GTi's / Cupras.

So how badly do you want a Cupra? if you spend 20% over the odds and it stays that way you'll get more when you sell it (that's the way I see it).

If you pay £6k for one now there is nothing saying that there will not be a similar car turn up £1k less the next day, but that is life. I'll be putting my car up for sale when I have the MOT done next week. I know there isn't anything wrong with it and has a full service history, I will get a chip onthe bonnet done before selling it and I keep my car in mint condition.

If they are selling for £6k (I know they are) I have seen a cupra with a little less miles on the clock than mine sell £7k and he was offered this a few times. So I don't think £6k is a bad price to pay for a car that is in top condition.

I looked for a cheap FTO for ages and get there in the end but I had to pay over £1k getting little things done as well as mods and servicing. In all I would have been better off spending that money in the 1st place on the sale.

I have heared from people wanting a cupra that a few on autotrader and in bad condition and they are all asking for £5.5k+

Alpha

Last edited:

AndiS

It's not so much the paying extra, I love the cars and if I knew it'd keep the same premium I'd be happy to part with a few hundred extra, but the problem is two cars the same coming up that have £1000 difference (which is a lot of money!) and from my experience this seems quite common.

To me (who admittedly has never owned such a rare car before) the lack of definitive pricing seems a bit daft, but does go some way to show the popularity of it if people are willing to spend whatever it takes to purchase one... That's quite endearing.

I think the thing to do is keep waiting as I originally set myself a budget of £5.5K and try my hardest to get whatever car I want for a little less... But as everyone mentions the condition and mileage are more important than £100 or so... So I'll be vigilent.

Thanks for the assistance anyhow, it's not that I don't understand the situation, more that I'm overwhelmed by the difference in the quality of cars and prices.

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Hope you didnt take offence at my post earlier mate, it wasn't meant to be arsy!

Just keep lookin mate, i even used wap nearly every day while lookin for the car!
Mine went on autotrader on a friday morning (when they update the website IIRC) i rung him, went to see it sat morning, and drove it home sat afternoon.

AlphaMale

Apr 28, 2005
Cardiff
AndiS said:
To me (who admittedly has never owned such a rare car before) the lack of definitive pricing seems a bit daft, but does go some way to show the popularity of it if people are willing to spend whatever it takes to purchase one... That's quite endearing.

... But as everyone mentions the condition and mileage are more important than £100 or so... So I'll be vigilent.

I'm overwhelmed by the difference in the quality of cars and prices.

It is strange to say the least. But I paid over the ods in the know that I will sell my car for more than the Glass' guide tells me to. It's been the same for te last 5 years that I have wanted one. Seeing them coming out of warrenty and expect them to be in my buget ... then waiting a little longer ... time passes by ... and still they are not dropping to the 'guide price'. And to be honest I don't think they will for a long time. Even when Parkers say the cupra is worth £900 there will be people (no doubt chavs) paying £2,000 for one as it has 'the 20v Turbo' ... just like the Fiesta RS turbo - Young people love them as it has a turbo on a small car :bleh:

Forbez said:
Mine went on autotrader on a friday morning (when they update the website IIRC) i rung him, went to see it sat morning, and drove it home sat afternoon.

I used to scan through every mag I could lay my hands on and wait for weeks between cars waiting for the right one. Luckily for me this popped up with 1 lady owner full history, 50k and totally standard in the right colour :funk: To have all these going your way you sometimes need to pay that premium.

AndiS

Forbez said:
Hope you didnt take offence at my post earlier mate, it wasn't meant to be arsy!

Offence!? :censored:

Non taken mate! lol :lol: ;)

It's cool now, I've made up my mind. I set myself a budget of £5.5K and it's been shown that good cars do come up for this sort of money, as such I'll stick to it. I know I'll just kick myself if I pay more than I wanted to just to get one sooner when the right one might turn up a week later.

I've broken the pricing into an equation now... (Cu X P^R)/A = £££'s :lol:

Now, what you have to ask yourself is how come the price guides don't admit they're wrong? :confused:

Cheers guys.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Theres a nice Onvi Cupra on AutoTrader at the moment for £7490.00 but I'm umming and arring about the price as I think at the markets current state it should be going for less. I only really like the Yellow and Blue Cupra's so I'm limited on choice.

However I've been looking at black which looks nice, it's just the whole black car thing (bad previous experiences).

bazza1000

Jun 2, 2005
Leicestershire
At the end of the day you get what you pay for, went to look at a cupra with my friend for £5500 and it and a complete nail. Not saying that all cupras at that price are bad. They are a complete performance bargain at £6/7k, alot of car for your money. Hope you find the right one

AndiS

bazza1000 said:
At the end of the day you get what you pay for, went to look at a cupra with my friend for £5500 and it and a complete nail. Not saying that all cupras at that price are bad. They are a complete performance bargain at £6/7k, alot of car for your money. Hope you find the right one

I'd say that's true, but in the Ibiza's case where there's no widely accepted price guide and such a leap in pricing how is the average owner (not a member of a club such as this) going to price it?

I went to see a car at £4900 (mainly because it was blue, I was very suspicious of it!) and yes, it was really rough, but there's plenty of folk on here who've managed to get a nice car (albeit an early model, maybe with 10K over average on) for very good money. Besides, I'm after a bargain and would happily put an extra £1K down if a later plate or low miler came about.

Most people will just look on the Autotrader site, see what the going rate is and if they want to sell it they'll make it a bit cheaper, that's what I'll have to watch out for.

Cheers though, I hope I find one too... I either need to be lucky or I might have to wait a while... :whistle: :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise