Private reg ins and outs ?

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Hello been thinking whether to get a private reg or not. The on iv seen is R888 SSW, I don’t want to pay a fortune and the price is £159 to buy the reg number.

I’m aware that the reg has to suit the age of the car like my current car reg age is 2016 so I can’t buy a reg that’s shows for example pc18ghv because the age is too new for my car. Is the one I stated above fine for my car or is their a method to the numbers you can have on the private reg to suit a certain age of a car?

also what other ins and outs are there for owning a private reg? I’m aware there’s a registration fee to transfer the plate to a car each and every time you transfer the reg over to a new car, but what else is there to bare in mind?

cheers

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
buy off the dvla website direct they include the transfer cost

an R plate can go on a 1998 car or newer, basically you cannot make a car look younger than it is

Reactions: Wilkesy

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Cost to make up the new plates £30
Possible admin fee to inform insurer (most are free), but up to £25.
If you don’t own a car in UK, you have to pay to put the plate on retention (fee depending upon no. of years registration mark is retained for) - got stung twice with this when sent overseas with work.
If you sell a car without reassigning the plate, you lose the plate with the car.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Also, if the car that’s ‘wearing’ a private plate is written off and the insurer pays a total loss settlement value to the owner of the car, ownership of the car and private plate passes to the insurance company. If the insurance company then scraps the car and you haven’t followed the necessary procedure to retain and re-use the plate on another car, the plate is lost.

https://www.theplatemarket.com/faq/what-happens-private-plate-if-car-written-off

Tivver500

Nov 23, 2019
I've had my personal plate on the TVR for nearly 20 years but have just put it 'on retention' ready to use on my new Cupra (whenever it gets here....). It cost me £80 to put on retention and the paperwork came through very quickly - even assigning the TVR it's original 'S' registration.
All I have to do is post the original retention certificate to the dealer to allow him to register (and tax) my new car. The cost for that is included in the £80.....
(At least - that's how it's supposed to work!!!)

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
used to have to pay a £25 admin fee each time too! £105 to swap cars. Cost me a fortune over the years. They have waved that finally and you can stick it on retention for 10 years rather than having to pay £25 each year for the privilege.

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
As someone already mentioned above.
See if it’s available direct from DVLA cause everything’s included in the price apart from getting the plates made.
I bought 2 last year. One for the Leon and one for my Volvo.
They were both about £40 each cheaper getting them direct from DVLA.
I was surprised how easy it was to assign it to the car.
If you do it online make sure you’ve already got the plates made up ready to go on cause it transfers it immediately.
With regard to age related plates.
The one I have on my Volvo V70 is off a 2000 year car on a V plate. Starts with V70 so it’s on my 2009 V70 R design. As my 8 year old pointed out it will look brand new from 1st March. :roflmao:
Not. Lol

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
If you change your car a lot like me the cost certainly adds up, insurance want an admin fee (usually £25) then your finance / lease want an admin fee (usually £50) then all the retention / assigning costs so if you change your car often then the fee’s certainly add up, i havent added my private plate to my leon yet partly because i will be changing it in a year and don’t see the point and hassle

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
I've not been charged an admin fee by insurers. With some you can do it online, my last was Churchill, online, no fee.

Yo can do the whole process online. As said above check the DVLA site first as many other sellers are just readvertising and charging you for the doing nothing.

1. Set up an account with the DVLA. Do this first as their site times you out quite quickly.
2.Buy your plate.
3. Get plates made. (I use ProPlates, as you don't have to physically send them any documents. Select Road Legal, buy plate, basic postage usually gets them to you in 3/4 days).
4. Wait for the V750 CoE (Certificate of Entitlement)
5. On the DVLA website Assign Plate to vehicle, they'll e-mail you confirmation. It takes a few minutes.
6. Contact your insurer and inform them of the change.
7. Physically attach plates to car.

DVLA will send you a new V5 in the post.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Never paid anything to swap my reg to new car, as dealer has always done it as part of my new car deal. Drive in the old traded in car with my reg on and drive out my new one with same reg on, just new plates. I always remove the old plates before leaving and now have several sets of my reg (handy for spare in case of one getting cracked or broken)

Reactions: Peller

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
I've not been charged an admin fee by insurers. With some you can do it online, my last was Churchill, online, no fee.

Yo can do the whole process online. As said above check the DVLA site first as many other sellers are just readvertising and charging you for the doing nothing.

1. Set up an account with the DVLA. Do this first as their site times you out quite quickly.
2.Buy your plate.
3. Get plates made. (I use ProPlates, as you don't have to physically send them any documents. Select Road Legal, buy plate, basic postage usually gets them to you in 3/4 days).
4. Wait for the V750 CoE (Certificate of Entitlement)
5. On the DVLA website Assign Plate to vehicle, they'll e-mail you confirmation. It takes a few minutes.
6. Contact your insurer and inform them of the change.
7. Physically attach plates to car.

DVLA will send you a new V5 in the post.
brilliant thanks a lot, to assign the plate is there a charge?

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
I find the DVLA one annoying to use, I cant find the ones iv seen on their compared to the other sites.

sorted, had to filter it down

Last edited:

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
brilliant thanks a lot, to assign the plate is there a charge?
If you buy from the DVLA site then all charges are included.

From 3rd party sites then you'll need to check their Terms & Conditions. They tend to not include any fees as it makes their price look cheaper initially.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
If you buy from the DVLA site then all charges are included.

From 3rd party sites then you'll need to check their Terms & Conditions. They tend to not include any fees as it makes their price look cheaper initially.
Generally they end up dearer. Buy direct from dvla everytime

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise