problem still there

jay-bob 25

Jun 18, 2004
hi in my latest thread i was taking my fr tdi in to have a new egr valve fitted as the: dealer said this was causing the noise i was getting , went to pick the car up and was told it had not cured the problem so another part has been ordered and would have to come in again , is this going to be a suck it and see job keep changing parts till the problem is resolved ?:confused:

yell_oh

Nov 5, 2006
welcome to SEAT ownership.

Seems to be the way the dealers work - talking to the mechanics they seem to have *no* diagnostic skills. Just guess a part, try it, then order another etc. etc.

[:@]

See "Alarming" thread for my problems.

jay-bob 25

Jun 18, 2004
noise still there

picked car up today and they have fitted a regulator flap , started the car up blipping the throttle lightly and guess what the noise is still there, fetched the guy out and he listened and said o yes i heard it then, he said because it will not show a fault up on the computer they have to put the parts on that technical advise them to so the bottom line is that ive got the problem till it shows a fault up . i will try and listen with the help of a friend who works at an audi garage and see if we can pinpoint the problem , i suppose the days are gone when you held a long screwdriver on and listened with your ear on the handle.

yell_oh

Nov 5, 2006
I cannot understand this "no fault code" = "no problem" mentality. The OBD was primarily designed to detect emissions problems to ensure compliance with legislation. As a bonus, having computers all over the car means you can detect other problems also, such as climate control, locking etc. BUT it doesn't mean the computer can detect every thing that is wrong with the car! :crash: Mechanics, sorry "technicians" should still be "diagnosticians".

Imagine if this mentality was extended... you walk into casualty with an arm hanging off with a spurting arterial bleed - "oh sorry, the intelliscan says you're fit and healthy maybe come back in a few weeks and see if it says anything then"

I'm not sure if it's just poor training or some manufacturer mandate to cut the cost of warranty claims, but they just won't look at problems like they would in the "good old days". :banghead:

If your car is less than 6 months old REJECT IT NOW as you are entitled to if they won't repair it.

sven7

Apr 19, 2004
North West
Mine had the same sort of noise as you're describing.

The dealer said the 'solenoid was overly sensitive' which was causing the noise. - I'm not sure if thats the same thing as the egr valve or not or what this solenoid actually does. Either way no part had to be ordered and the fault (touch wood) hasn't come back.

mach4

Oct 23, 2006
See thread on 'Clutch Drone' could be the same thing - the turbo solenoid on the bulkhead. I had the same treatment from garage when i took mine in - no fault code so no replacement!

jay-bob 25

Jun 18, 2004
new parts ordered

hi to all you guys that pointed me in the right direction as to what my problem is , on reading the thread on clutch drone i decided that that is the noise , the turbo solenoid , so i thought pop the bonnet and take a look , when i lifted the bonnett i saw that they had not replaced the engine cover , so i telephoned the serviced and they oppologised and sai dcome in and we will put it back, well i said i would but i have some information as to this noise i was getting . so today i called to get the engine cover fitted and armed with a print out as to the problem being the turbo solenoid , they agreed to order the new part , so thanks guys and the cupra . net giving me this information keep up the good work fingers crossed the problem will be solved thanks:clap:

jay-bob 25

Jun 18, 2004
hi got the turbo solenoid fitted today and this seems to have cured the problem thanks guys it looks like we are doing the diagnostis for some dealers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.