Puddle Lights

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Hey guys,

No puddle lights on 2018 FR?

Bit odd there’s LED’s everywhere and colour changing LED strips in the front doors but saved £2 not putting them in wing mirrors or door cards...or are mine just not working?

Cheers.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I have a 16 plate FR and a month or so ago I had a 19-plate FR as a courtesy car for a few days. I had a good look around it and paid attention to how it drove to try and figure out where the car was better.

My conclusion is, nowhere. Every single change is trivial and pointless.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I have a 16 plate FR and a month or so ago I had a 19-plate FR as a courtesy car for a few days. I had a good look around it and paid attention to how it drove to try and figure out where the car was better.

Better in every department, maybe you can own one someday, then you don’t have to be jealous any longer

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Better in every department, maybe you can own one someday, then you don’t have to be jealous any longer

I'm not jealous. In fact I've decided to actively look for a pre-facelift car to replace our 2014 ST.

Maybe you can list all the ways the car is better "in every department"? Because I properly cannot see it.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I'm not jealous. In fact I've decided to actively look for a pre-facelift car to replace our 2014 ST.

Maybe you can list all the ways the car is better "in every department"? Because I properly cannot see it.
Electronic handbrake
Much nicer looking more modern front end (pre-fl) looks very dated and is now 7 years old
The new 18” alloys are nicer than the old
Bigger infotainment screen

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales

The 1.5 lump is what makes it better.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Electronic handbrake
Much nicer looking more modern front end (pre-fl) looks very dated and is now 7 years old

Really? Is that it?

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Electronic handbrake
You missed the fact that the LED headlights are actually useful on the facelift and not like the candles on the pre facelift.

Reactions: BigJase88

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Really? Is that it?
The electronic handbrake is far superior

it is a mild facelift to keep the car current and up to date, the pre facelift whether wearing your rose tinted glasses or not looks dated in 2020, the facelift keeps an ageing car as much up to date as it can

its not the mark4 its not a brand new car it is an update / upgrade

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
it's not the mark4 it's not a brand new car it is an update / upgrade

You said it was better in every department. Sounds like the headlights are better, which is nice, but nothing else is. Sorry, but I don't want an electric handbrake. Had one, don't want another.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
You said it was better in every department. Sounds like the headlights are better, which is nice, but nothing else is. Sorry, but I don't want an electric handbrake. Had one, don't want another.
It looks better, the tech is better, nothing was a downgrade.

i wouldn’t go back to an old skool handbrake. Handy for handbrake turns if thats your bag. Handbrake levers are becoming a thing of the past, i guess you will be stuck there too.

when we are full electric in 2035 (apparently) there will be no handbrake levers

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
It looks better, the tech is better, nothing was a downgrade.

Nothing is worse isn't the same as everything is better. I think the electric handbrake is a downgrade. Less reliable, makes home brake servicing harder, less intuitive and too slow and unpredictable in operation.

When we are full electric in 2035 (apparently) there will be no handbrake levers

What does one have to do with the other? Were hand brakes petrol powered?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Nothing is worse isn't the same as everything is better. I think the electric handbrake is a downgrade. Less reliable, makes home brake servicing harder, less intuitive and too slow and unpredictable in operation.

What does one have to do with the other? Were hand brakes petrol powered?
Servicing of rear brakes is no more difficult? Have you done it yourself?

99% of autos have electronic handbrakes, ev’s are auto’s, my electronic handbrake is predictable and 100% effective, you either had an issue or user error

Last edited:

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton

First time I have seen you mention this.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Servicing of rear brakes is no more difficult? Have you done it yourself?

Only on cable brakes but you need to put the electric ones into service mode on the ECU.

...my electronic handbrake is predictable and 100% effective, you either had an issue or user error.[?QUOTE]

We'll have to agree to disagree. I've already listed the shortcomings of electric handbrakes on here, can't be bothered doing it again.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Only on cable brakes but you need to put the electric ones into service mode on the ECU.
I changed them on a golf mk7 and never did anything with the ecu :blink:? Disengage handbrake and wind back rear caliper with a rewind tool, and was no bother

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I changed them on a golf mk7 and never did anything with the ecu :blink:? Disengage handbrake and wind back rear caliper with a rewind tool, and was no bother

Well you know more than me. I heard you weren't supposed to do that.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hey guys,

No puddle lights on 2018 FR?

Bit odd there’s LED’s everywhere and colour changing LED strips in the front doors but saved £2 not putting them in wing mirrors or door cards...or are mine just not working?

Cheers.
To answer your question, I am sure no MK3 Leon's have puddle lights, not even as an option, whereas Golfs and probably Audis do.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.