Pulley sheared off engine - how bad is it?

Dec 7, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what has broken on my car and how bad it is. Had a bit of a high pitched "fan belt" noise for a few days when the engine was cold and then today on the motorway the battery light came on then a loud grinding noise. Managed to get it stopped at a nearby petrol station and recovered home and can see the accessories belt has come off due to one of the pulleys shearing off.

Car is a 2015 seat ibiza cupra with the 1.4 CTHE engine.

Hard to say but is this the water pump pulley? If so what other kind of damage could this have caused? What other pulleys are in that area that it might have been?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20221207_092436.jpg
    IMG_20221207_092436.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 91

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
It does look like the waterpump pulley and given that you've had belt squeal, it is possible that the pump is seized.
It's a new pump whatever...☹️

Dec 7, 2022
It does look like the waterpump pulley and given that you've had belt squeal, it is possible that the pump is seized.
It's a new pump whatever...☹️
Thanks for the reply mate, yeah I've been able to have a proper look at it now that I'm finished work and it's 100% the water pump.

Is it likely its caused any significant damage elsewhere? It didn't overheat thankfully but I know the supercharger pulley is on the opposite side of that. I know I'm kind of asking how long a piece of string is here without you having seen anything haha but any insight is beneficial.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.