Puncture - Non Repairable???

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
I have a self tapper screw embeded in on of my new F1 tyres. Its leaking about 10psi per week.

I have taken it to several garages who have all said its too close to the side wall. i.e on the start of the radius and the normal plugging method would not be a suitable fix.

I have heard that some garages (or maybe special repair centres??) can use a different fixing method which involves vulcanising.

Is this true and has anyone had the same problem?

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Extra load tyres have a thicker sidewall, so a puncture can't be fixed if it's within about an inch from the edge of the tread (I have a 200-mile F1 in my garage which was scrapped because of this).

You might be able to get someone to repair it using a different methos but the question is : do you really want to risk a potential botched repair on a high performance tyre?

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
as long as the screw hasn't gone in tread at an angle n caused damage to the inside of tyre n as long as the screw is no more than about half inch from shoulder a repair shouldn't be a prob. had a bolt go through a michelin pilot sport 2 on my lcr it was half inch away from shoulder got it repaired n it's still on car.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
A mate of mine owns a tyre place. Trouble is, most of the repairs would be fine right up to the edge (not through the sidewall though), but if i did fail, which is no more likely than a repair in the middle, and they had the finger pointed at them their public liability insurance would walk away. The guidelines state the repair must be with 75% of the middle of the tread area. Go outside of this and they risk leaving themselves open to all sorts.

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
A mate of mine owns a tyre place. Trouble is, most of the repairs would be fine right up to the edge (not through the sidewall though), but if i did fail, which is no more likely than a repair in the middle, and they had the finger pointed at them their public liability insurance would walk away. The guidelines state the repair must be with 75% of the middle of the tread area. Go outside of this and they risk leaving themselves open to all sorts.

they can just use a patch outside the 75% ( size of palm with middle finger in middle of tread) if the srew hasn't damaged the brasing plys in the tyre

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
I have the spare on at the moment, but its the standard tyre. If it was an F1 then I might have considered putting a cheap one on the spare.

Its a short self tapper which must have just pierced through to the inside. Its nowhere near the side wall, but just on to where the radius starts off the flat section.

A garage have just quoted £25 to have it repaired using vulcanisation method.

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
I have the spare on at the moment, but its the standard tyre. If it was an F1 then I might have considered putting a cheap one on the spare.

Its a short self tapper which must have just pierced through to the inside. Its nowhere near the side wall, but just on to where the radius starts off the flat section.

A garage have just quoted £25 to have it repaired using vulcanisation method.

only thing i can suggest is shop around :shrug:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.