Question about spare wheel....

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Hi I have a question regarding the spare wheel on my 2022 1.5DSG Formentor?

when I originally ordered the car I (Stupidly😒) ordered it without a spare wheel, however since waking up to a flat tire a few weeks ago (But luckily, a slow enough leak to allow me to drive it to my local tyre shop) I would like to get one for peace of mind when away or on a journey.
I was thinking of an official Seat one for the Formentor but after trawling through a few posts on here one thing that I did find puzzling was a comment about the car needing to be (effectively) "Coded" due to the "TPMS" system, is this correct, can I not just get a correct (Seat or Cupra) sized spare wheel to put in the spare wheel bay?

Found these, thoughts?.......

Last edited:

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
If I fit the spare it will be for the minimum time until I can get a puncture fixed or the tyre replaced, if during that time the car nags about tyre pressures then i guess I'll have to put up with it. Be like having the wife in the car when using Cupra mode. Nag,nag,nag.

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
I don't know, but presumably when the spare is fitted it would just throw up a warning light on the dash that would disappear when the proper wheel was put back on?

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
If I fit the spare it will be for the minimum time until I can get a puncture fixed or the tyre replaced, if during that time the car nags about tyre pressures then i guess I'll have to put up with it. Be like having the wife in the car when using Cupra mode. Nag,nag,nag.

I don't know, but presumably when the spare is fitted it would just throw up a warning light on the dash that would disappear when the proper wheel was put back on?
Mmmm that’s what I’m thinking as well 🤔

Nov 18, 2021
It's not a matter of putting the right wheel, but about having the right pressure. If the spare wheel has the right pressure, you won't have any warning.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 9 Pro mediante Tapatalk

Oct 8, 2021

I had a puncture on the motorway and had to change to the spare tyre. The pressure monitor just keeps flashing but oh man, the price of a new tyre 245/40 R19 W (94) is crazy. Like for like £188!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
The TPMS on many VW group cars works on the tyre rotation speed using the ABS system (a punctured / flat tyre rotates faster to keep at the same road speed).

The issue with a slightly different size space saver wheel and tyre is that the car will think it (still) has a puncture as the spare will be rotating at a different speed to the other wheels.

As above that’s bearable for the short time it’s on the car, and no coding is necessary.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.