Questions for any MK2 Cupra Owner

Cupra_Chris

Aug 1, 2015
West Sussex
Just wondering if anyone has had a heap of issues with their leon's?

Ive had mine about 7 months now and have had it in the garage at least once a month with a problem...

Anyone else had any issues like this or have any advice on upkeep with them?

I know some can drink oil like its going out of fashion!

Cheers

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
My FR has had loads of problems over the 2 years I had it, these are not the most reliable cars out there, but not the worst by any stretch.

What problems have you had? I've so far had:
G201
G44 - hub replaced
G46 - hub replaced
HPFP replacement
Diverter valve replaced
Passenger airbag replacement (after connector fix was tried)
CV joints replaced
Brake Servo replaced
Drivers door lock replaced

That is on top of regular oil top ups, 6 tyres, servicing and 2 replacement alloys. Brake discs and pads are needed soon too.

Northy 8

Oct 14, 2014
notts
Had my Cupra for 15 months
Only done 4000 miles since last service
Checked oil level today and near min mark
So needs about a litre
Seem a lot in that miles but I guess they use it
Only thing I have had to have the abs pump valve £400 fitted
Also door lock that's it so not to bad really
Car has only done 58k

Cupra_Chris

Aug 1, 2015
West Sussex
Sounds like there is a mix of problems people face. I guess so it always depends on history...

I've had both cv's
Drive shaft
Gearbox refurb - crunching 6th
Clutch
Flywheel
Engine mounts
and it's currently I'm garage for the turbo to be refurbed as the fins were grinding away on the housing.

Im hoping that's all there is for me to pay out for. Well for a year atleast!

Ive heard they can go through as much as 1l of oil every 1500 miles or so

jake100biggins

Jan 1, 2016
The myth of german build quality, vag are much the same as italian, french and jap cars going by the forums for these brands.
All share mostly the same parts so may be a reason for similar issues across the brands.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jake100biggins

Jan 1, 2016
Proof to always buy with the heart, forget jd surveys get the real facts from online forums.
So many skodas on the roads due to fake surveys and mag promotions but here too the skoda forum is an eye opener, the owners cannot hide the truth.
Moral is to pick whatever takes your fancy as any brand of car is going to take a good chunk of the finances to keep in top order.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
I disagree german cars are really well put together Alot of jap, Italian and French cars feel like they're held together with paper clips. Yes reliability isn't as good as you are led to believe but. If you go on any fourm for any cars many people will have problems.

Anyways back to the actual op question. All I've replaced on mine in two years of ownership is the dv and that failed after I mapped it so it's done me pretty well :)

Last edited:

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
With these it's more a case of prevention before cure.

Things to keep an eye on are cam follower i inspect mine every 5k

if it's done big miles worth changing the oil pickup pipe both are easy jobs.

Fuel filter depending on miles car has done i changed mine at 44k and will probably do it again soon as its on 58k

Plugs i change mine every 8k

coilpacks

Diverter valve these can go at any time but it will be obvious when it fails

Regards burning oil some are a lot worse than others I'm running 5W/40 millers nanodrive now and keep it served at least every 7k but that will change to 5k once I'm 2+

I've been very lucky with mine and in the 15 months of ownership I've only had a release bearing fail but that just made me think time to put a Helix in and go more power.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
I don't think the car is particularly unreliable, they do have plenty of problems but most are quite old now so par for the course.

Forums are not representative though, most forums contain mostly problems and negativity, unless of course there is a strong aftermarket scene.

Mine has been problematic because I bought an old, if low mileage, car. It had never failed me though, I have never been left stranded (yet).

Last edited:

splinter_cdo

Apr 25, 2010
I have had my cupra for 5 years now and used ever 240bhp and then moved up to 320bhp and had no problems till last summer when I destroyed my piston and now getting a new one made for me. But till this point nouthing

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
I don't think the car is particularly unreliable, they do have plenty of problems but most are quite old now so par for the course.

Forums are not representative though, most forums contain mostly problems and negativity, unless of course there is a strong aftermarket scene.

Mine has been problematic because I bought an old, if low mileage, car. It had never failed me though, I have never been left stranded (yet).

Haha we've both probably tempted fate now mate lol

I have had my cupra for 5 years now and used ever 240bhp and then moved up to 320bhp and had no problems till last summer when I destroyed my piston and now getting a new one made for me. But till this point nouthing

What caused the piston to fail exactly do you know,it's strange how some people are lucky and others just have a nightmare :cry:

splinter_cdo

Apr 25, 2010
Haha we've both probably tempted fate now mate lol

What caused the piston to fail exactly do you know,it's strange how some people are lucky and others just have a nightmare :cry:

oil pump gave up on me at 110,000 mils just one of those things my 1st problem but it cost me a sh*t load of cash. But that is life I have JnL racing building me a new 500+ bhp block and will be taking it to rtech to map it

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
oil pump gave up on me at 110,000 mils just one of those things my 1st problem but it cost me a sh*t load of cash. But that is life I have JnL racing building me a new 500+ bhp block and will be taking it to rtech to map it

Good lad least you are looking at the bright side mate, changed my oil pickup pipe in November as I've seen a few fail, upon removal of the sump it was like new lol and didn't need doing but obviously I put a new one on anyway as it was good for piece of mind.

splinter_cdo

Apr 25, 2010
Good lad least you are looking at the bright side mate, changed my oil pickup pipe in November as I've seen a few fail, upon removal of the sump it was like new lol and didn't need doing but obviously I put a new one on anyway as it was good for piece of mind.

You have to look on the bright side life it to short to cry about it lol. Just had a look
At your RR car looks nice. Where about u from if u don't mind me asking?

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
All mine has needed in the 8 years I've had it since new (aside from consumables) is a new near side rear hub due to wheel bearing failure, and mechatronics at 40k (but that was under warranty). It's now on just under 100k and has never let me down once. Is part of the reason I still have it, is worth way more to me than its monetary worth and has everything I need. Wife has a new Leon FR and I prefer mine in every way.

As with any car there are good one's and bad one's - is just luck unfortunately, but I believe maintenance and knowing a cars history is a big thing.

dj.bang

Jul 4, 2014
Oman-Muscat
hello there got my 2009 cupra march 2014 it had 93k

The list of modifications includes:

Engine:
- Stage 1 ECU Tune by Revo - 310 BHP.
- Manual 6 Speed
- BCS Center exhaust.
- Forge Diverter Valve.
- Revo Air Intake
- Audi R8 Coil packs & plugs

Suspension:
-Eibach Pro-Street-S height adjustable coilovers.
- H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars.
- Powerflex Front Lower Arms and Dog Bone bushes.

Interior:
- OEM Sat-Nav / Touch Screen with HDD Unit
- Red Carbon Fiber trim by Carbon Signal.
- OEM red stitching.

Exterior:
- Front Lip by Cup Spoiler.
- Seat Leon K1 Side Skirts.
- Seat Leon CUPRA Rear Diffuser.
- Seat Leon K1 Roof Spoiler
- O.Z. 18" Ultraleggera in gun metal colour

i just added NJK plugs and r8 coil revo intake VWR engine mounts been taking it for service regularly at the dealer, changed engine oil battery brake pads the normal staff at 103k.

had one problem which was the breather had to be replace at 108k

currently running at 113k nothing so fat i just added ATP downpipe and am planning to take it for major service at 115k or any time soon.

Cupra_Chris

Aug 1, 2015
West Sussex
Thanks for all the replies guys. Seems I may have just hit a snag and now should be fine for the future. (Fingers crossed) got the car back about a week ago with new turbo and another flywheel - the last one was not in a good way... all seems great. Plus put a few little mods on to keep me happy!

Cupra_Chris

Aug 1, 2015
West Sussex
hello there got my 2009 cupra march 2014 it had 93k

The list of modifications includes:

Engine:
- Stage 1 ECU Tune by Revo - 310 BHP.
- Manual 6 Speed
- BCS Center exhaust.
- Forge Diverter Valve.
- Revo Air Intake
- Audi R8 Coil packs & plugs

Suspension:
-Eibach Pro-Street-S height adjustable coilovers.
- H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars.
- Powerflex Front Lower Arms and Dog Bone bushes.

Interior:
- OEM Sat-Nav / Touch Screen with HDD Unit
- Red Carbon Fiber trim by Carbon Signal.
- OEM red stitching.

Exterior:
- Front Lip by Cup Spoiler.
- Seat Leon K1 Side Skirts.
- Seat Leon CUPRA Rear Diffuser.
- Seat Leon K1 Roof Spoiler
- O.Z. 18" Ultraleggera in gun metal colour

i just added NJK plugs and r8 coil revo intake VWR engine mounts been taking it for service regularly at the dealer, changed engine oil battery brake pads the normal staff at 103k.

had one problem which was the breather had to be replace at 108k

currently running at 113k nothing so fat i just added ATP downpipe and am planning to take it for major service at 115k or any time soon.

Sounds like you've been busy! Any other plans for it or keeping it as is for now?
Are you still running the OEM Clutch and Flywheel for the Stg1?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.