rad fixed but still heating up

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
i replaced the radiator, and now there are now leaks and it's not the head gasket, i'm wondering what else could cause the car to heat up

just wondered what temp do valvers usually run at? because before i fixed the rad it used to be at 100degrees and the needle on the oil temp would be in the middle. now i've fixed the radiator, it gets to 80 degrees and the needle is in the middle, but it keeps heating up to around 120

also where is the thermostat? i couldnt find it at all, i've bought a new one to replace the current one but my haynes manual doesnt cover my car. which one would cover my engine (ADL, similar to KR?)

sorry for all the questions

Cheers
Chris

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
ive been told to watch out for air gaps when changing the coolant and this causes it to overheat. might wanna check that out open the cap and squeeze the hoses a few times to make sure it all goes around.

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
maybe theres an air lock in the cooling system, or maybe the water pump has broken? as alpine says, the clock on the dash is for coolant temperature, and the MFA reading is for oil...

if the pumps broken there wont be any coolant circulation to cool the engine down

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Well a valver optimum running temperature is about 90 degrees (with the water gauge right in the middle) and the oil temperature usually climbs to 110 if you are pushing it very hard or sitting in some seriously hot traffic jam. 120 still does seem very high unless you are REALLY pushing it all the time (track day).

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
120 degree's is just not attainable on the road unless

a) your car is not well
b) you're driving in 1st gear flat out

120 degree's on the track, no problem at all

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.