Radiator Fan Motor on Fire

cjhawker

Mar 23, 2009
Chester
Hi All,

Just been out for a 20min ride some hard and some around town.
Car running normal and temp sitting at 90.

Got home and smoke coming from bonnet. [:@]

Opened it and it looks like the inside of the passenger side radiator fans motor (big silver bit) was on fire - actual small flame inside it :censored: I'm pretty sure it was this but it was dark and i didn't want it to go up in smoke so just got water to put it out ASAP.

It this a common problem? or has any one else had this? as only had the car for a few weeks now.

Any idea what could have caused this? or how much it will cost to fix as i assume i need a new fan? any thing else i should check

mikeholroyd

Worrying. My immediate response to this is "Why has the rad fan fuse not blown before the wiring gets to the warm stage, let alone a fire?"
I thought the whole idea of fuses were to protect against such things happening.

I take there there's no fluid / petrol / etc leak onto the fan motor itself? No flammable liquids got there that have caught fire simply because of the warmth from the radiator itself?

Before going out and getting a new fan assembly, have the car looked at to eliminate any cause that would make the new bits go in exactly the same way. And don't be fobbed off by a garage saying everything is OK -- next time it might be at high speed on the motorway, with a fire taking proper hold before you even realise something's wrong.

Mike

cjhawker

Mar 23, 2009
Chester
thanks for the replys.

have checked the fuses and holder and all are ok.
the motor did look like it had a bit of oil on the back of it maybe that is what caught fire? unsure how would of got on there as i haven't changed oil etc? and it has been fine for a few weeks

got it booked in garage for monday to get it looked over.

could have been a lot worse as it was parked on the drive next to two other cars and our gas meter box, just seen it smoking as the misses was putting a new smelly in her car that she had just bought, over wise would have not notice and gone to bed.

cjhawker

Mar 23, 2009
Chester
Update:
The guy at garage said the fan is seized and I will need a new one (£140+vat+fitting) - not good news after forking out near £300 for cambelt + water pump change a few weeks ago.

He showed me how hard it was to turn the broken larger fan compared to the other fan - just a bit worried that it actually went on fire and the fuse never blew. Hopefully this new one won't do the same.

Hopefully will be fixed tomorrow

eggz61

Mine has jst caught fire where the fan is. An melted part of the loom back past the header tank, into the bulkhead and along under the black trim under wipers! I am well gutted. Anbody have any Ideas.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.