radiator/fan switch?? fan wont switch off?

shazo

Nov 26, 2009
hello

i have a 1.9tdi 130 fr, a while back the fan wouldnt turn off, even after the key was removed from the car it would still stay on until the battery was disconected. anyhow, from a personal prodpective am assuming its the fan switch, as i removed it and the fan turned off, its been cold so i dint really need it, however if anyone has any other ideas could you please let me know. i havent had a proper look at the fan switch, i took one from a polo but it doesnt fit, the conectors are square instead of a triangle.

any ideas or a picture would be helpful

thank you

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I'd try to get the car read for fault codes and also check that the temp sensor is giving an accurate reading. Also, does the engine get to temperature very quickly? (within a couple of minutes) and does the fan come back on as soon as you reconnect the battery?

shazo

Nov 26, 2009
i think its the fan switch which screws into the radiator, thats what i disconected, before disconected as soon as the battery touched the earth the fan would just fire up. without the fan iv been driving the car around, the temperature slowly goes up to half way (must take like 20 minutes) and stays there, doesnt go higher, must be due to the weather.

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
Sounds like you're right. Are both fans coming on or just one? If you have a voltmeter, check for continuity across the switch terminals. When cold the switch should be open so no continuity (v. high resistance). Check it against the other switch you have.

shazo

Nov 26, 2009
il give it a go, any ideas where best place to get a new fan switch would be?

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
You're better off getting one from SEAT/VW. Alternatively GSF or EuroCarParts etc

Just had a quick look on GSF and the part number seems to be 931VG0430 which is £10.55+vat

shazo

Nov 26, 2009
You're better off getting one from SEAT/VW. Alternatively GSF or EuroCarParts etc

Just had a quick look on GSF and the part number seems to be 931VG0430 which is £10.55+vat

thanx mate, your a star ill order one now. :funk:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise