Radiator fans coming on loud when car gets hot

skinz

Oct 21, 2012
leicestershire
Hi peeps, it's been a while since I've posted on here, since then I've gone from a cupra to a cupra r, I love these cars apart from when they decide to not work properly lol, I'm having issues with my radiator fans, when my car gets hot my rad fans are kicking in but they are very loud and fast, I've been told it could be the slow speed resistor but when I looked this up people are saying that theres are coming on fast and loud as soon as they start the car but mine ain't doing this, I did find a test someone wrote up about using the air con to test the low speed, when i tried it my low speed did work with the air con test so now I'm at a loss to what to look at now, any help would be much appreciated

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Can't see that it would be much else but the common 'slow speed resistor' issue mate, it very much sounds like it, even though that is weird about the aircon.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Yes you can change the fans.

They should come on at normal speed if the air con is on, not hurricane emergency speed.

skinz

Oct 21, 2012
leicestershire
I'm gonna get a second hand set of rad fans just to see if that is the problem, I know second hand is a gamble to how long they will last but it's just to see if it does sort it, I'll let u know cheers for your help so far

skinz

Oct 21, 2012
leicestershire
Well I've gone and changed my fans but it still doing it but not as often, I ain't got a clue what to do now. I did notice though just before the fans kicked in my engine tone dropped like something had drawn a load of power from the engine

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Well I've gone and changed my fans but it still doing it but not as often, I ain't got a clue what to do now. I did notice though just before the fans kicked in my engine tone dropped like something had drawn a load of power from the engine
Try checking the wiring of the fan control module (relays) under the battery tray area

skinz

Oct 21, 2012
leicestershire
What am I looking for with the fan control module, will be easy access as I've relocated my battery to the spare wheel well

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
It's like a square black box under the battery tray area, follow the plugs back from the fans and you'll find it easy enough.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Check the wiring running to it for broken wires etc rather than replacing it for now. You could try replacing it if you want, but there is every shance you are wasting your time/money. There is a useful video here, i'm not sure if the wires are the same colours on our boxes, but the wiring should be the same as in the video.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.