Radio interference when using charger socket

Monsoon

Dec 13, 2013
I fitted a dashcam recently, powered from the 12v socket. Ever since, the DAB radio hisses and jumps channels, and FM and AM radio hiss. If I unplug the dashcam, all is fine. A friend with a Leon has the same problem when charging his phone from the 12v socket.

Anyone had the same problem and know if there is a fix for this?

Thanks

JamieLittwin

0-60 In Sparrows Cough
Mar 2, 2015
I don't have any issues at all with mine and I charge all sorts with mine. Even use a black and decker hoover! I'd take it back and get it looked at, I may be wrong but something may not be grounded right

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
On mine the DAB looses reception when I put the indicators on! Not on every station, but on the ones with a weaker signal...
Very poor filtering in the supply side of the radio I assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
This may be down to the devices you are connecting. I had a dodgy phone charger that radiated noise at all wavelengths from DC to daylight.

Can you disconnect the dashcam at the dashcam end? Does it still happen if you do?

A clamp ferrite placed at the power supply end of the cable *may* help. Something like this http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Split-Ferrite-Clamp-Noise-Supressor-Max-5mm-Cable-Dia-/121557607634

If it is radiating out of the other end of the power supply the above may not help though

Monsoon

Dec 13, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I need to do a bit more experimenting really - trying other devices for example. I do wonder whether it's the length of the dashcam cables which might in effect be acting as separate antennas, causing the interference. I've installed the Koonlung K1S which has tiny front and rear cameras, but a 3 metre cable and 6 metre cable connecting them. I'll keep you updated with any developments...

Last edited:

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
I Don't Have A problem with Dab interference when charging things but do have a problem with the Dab signal if I put Led bulbs in the rear indicators, tried different ones including some that were linked on the Led thread here and everyone I use cuts the Dab signal out when I put the left indicator on, normal bulbs no problem

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I Don't Have A problem with Dab interference when charging things but do have a problem with the Dab signal if I put Led bulbs in the rear indicators, tried different ones including some that were linked on the Led thread here and everyone I use cuts the Dab signal out when I put the left indicator on, normal bulbs no problem

Now you mention it, I have only had this problem since I put LED's in the rear indicators. It never occurred to me that this could be the reason!
I've just installed fan washer jets so I expect I won't be able to select reverse anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 98136

After fitting LED bulbs in my rear indicators, I too noticed an intermitant loss of dab signal, not always but it seems dependant upon where I'm driving and the related dab signal strength for that location - funny thing is however the nearside indicator seems to affect the signal worse than the offside one does.

Also fitted a led bulb in reversing light, that too cuts affects the dab signal.

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
After fitting LED bulbs in my rear indicators, I too noticed an intermitant loss of dab signal, not always but it seems dependant upon where I'm driving and the related dab signal strength for that location - funny thing is however the nearside indicator seems to affect the signal worse than the offside one does.

Also fitted a led bulb in reversing light, that too cuts affects the dab signal.

N/S was worse on mine so much I have now put standard bulbs back in

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise