Charger recommendations for Formentor Hybrid

Dec 10, 2023
Seeking advice from all formentor hybrid owners. I recently I'm the proud own of a 204 V2 formentor. Im currently charging the car with the 3 pin charger but feel that I'm expected to charge this with a more permanent alternative.

Do you recommend me charging with the 3 pin or which wall charger will be perfect for my needs?. I have checked that my house is compatible and it is. I just need advice which charger to get. Also I live in Doncaster, South s yorkshire so if anyone could recommend a fitter that would be lovely.

I welcome any advice. thank you.

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
As long as the cable quality is fine and you are ok with the time it takes, the actual overhead and wastage from the lower capacity charger means you are doing ok as is.

If you were to get on a electric price plan that has time constraints you may want something that can shift at a higher amperage. Otherwise not a lot to be gained, imho.

Now to actually contribute towards your question - most standards based charges are fine. I use a Ohme charger at home and feel it is an entire waste of money. The work guys had some Quebev installed at £300 including vat, that work exactly the same at the task of shifting electric with exactly the same rate/ consumption. They don't have all the timing and Bluetooth and all that, but you don't need anything of it since the car has all those features anyway and the electric companies can use it directly from the car.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I looked into installing a charger but couldn't justify the cost of a granny cable, as my car generally charges overnight and well within the Octopus Intelligent 6 hour cheap rate window. I think the Formentor only charges at a maximum of 3.6KWh, so it's pointless putting even a 7KWh charger unless you're thinking of getting a EV relatively soon.

I installed a purpose made 3 pin extension with outdoor socket, RCD and in-line WiFi switch which does the job perfectly well. Once the cars's plugged in overnight it doesn't matter if it charges in a couple of hours or 14 hours (usually seems to take about 5 hours).

Reactions: LetsForment

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
Also keep in mind that formentor will only charge at 7kw so you don't need anything larger.
WOW!!! Your Formentor charges at 7 kW???
Mine is 3.5 kW rated, and it will charge from ~0% to 100% in more than 3.5h using a 20 kW charging station - so obviously a car limitation. Not to mention there's also the "slow charge" option in the car menu, that limits it to 1kW...

l.e.
nevermind... I saw your last post after I added the question. :rolleyes:

Ian986

Jun 23, 2021
We have a Ohme charger which I choose because small and compact. There are lots of features on it but as car is parked in an underground car park and phone signal is very weak don't get to use full features of it.

Our is set up to charge between 12.30 and 4:30 AM top take advantage of cheap electric rate normally takes 3.20 hours to fully charge.

when we ordered the car the charger was about £900 because Cupra had not got there backside in gear and put on the government grant for electric cars.

It used to cost £.061 to fully charge car at 5 pence per KW so roughly 2 pence per mile vs petrol £0.18 for petrol. we mainly use electric unless go over 30 miles so much so my other half could not remember how to open the petrol cap.

Dec 10, 2023
I'm trying to connect to Octopus energy and it is coming up with a error that I nned to share my location or update my firm ware. I had registered with cupra connect but it is now expired. what do I need to do to allow this to work?

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I'm trying to connect to Octopus energy and it is coming up with an error that I nned to share my location or update my firm ware. I had registered with cupra connect but it is now expired. what do I need to do to allow this to work?
I think you need to change the privacy setting in the car, so it will share your location. They need to know the location so they allow the car to charge when away from home, but stop the charge at home until the off peak rate is active.