Rain repellent glass

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Has anyone used anything like RainX on their mk2 Leon with any effect.

The water just seems to sit on the glass and I can't get it to bead/sheet off. I've used clay, glass cleaners, Zymol HD cleanse, Duragloss rain-repel spray.

I've not actually tried RainX as I don't really like the product and the rain-repel stuff worked better on my Mk1 Leon.

Anyone got any tips or stuff they know works. The glass seems to have a film of crap on it that won't shift.

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
I used rain-ex on my Leon and although the water ran away quickly when driving, it made my wipers judder and smear a bit. Took a few washes to get rid og it, used the autoglym window stuff after the normal jet wash and sponge routine. Havn't used it since and the wipers don't judder anymore,

Tony

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
i used rain x on my mk2 leon and it was good, espec if you are motorway driver, you need to give the windscreen a good clean and buff the residue off well. Costco do it cheap too.

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
I don't get any shadows/smearing - The chemical cleaner that comes with the kit strips everything off the screen before you put the sealant on too, plus I would say that it repels better than Rain X.

Going off thread, Nick P. What sort of wheels are those and what size? They look awesome by the way,

Tony

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Going off thread, Nick P. What sort of wheels are those and what size? They look awesome by the way,

Tony
Cheers Tony, 18" BBS CK's in Anthracite - had them sent across from Germany

IMG_4761_59_60hcrop-vi.jpg

I think lowering slightly would improve it more ;)

leon.jpg

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Used Rain-X without issue, but currently working on a bottle of the Mer version. Like the Rain-X it doesnt really do much below 30ish mph.

Fish

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
I use rain-x on the rear window of the navara as that get filthy in a few days. It keeps it much cleaner but when the sun is on it it looks really smeared - almost like someones been smoking in the vehicle.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK

The water just seems to sit on the glass and I can't get it to bead/sheet off. I've used clay, glass cleaners, Zymol HD cleanse, Duragloss rain-repel spray.

I've not actually tried RainX as I don't really like the product and the rain-repel stuff worked better on my Mk1 Leon.

Anyone got any tips or stuff they know works. The glass seems to have a film of crap on it that won't shift.
If the glass is too greasey try using the glass cleaner before you use RAINX, droplets start to move above 40mph - had no problems with my use of RAINX. ...........................

CupraDaft

Jun 8, 2002
Scotland
Visit site

I know exactly what you mean, it is bizarre.

The door windows are what I find most annoying as rain or spray just seems to sit. Sometimes I wind down the windows to try and clear it but of course the rubbers don't touch it.

There have been times the visibility is so distorted that if the view isn't clear enough to judge traffic at a junction properly for example, I've had no option but to wind the window down. Weird.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I cleaned the car today and tried Halfords Intensive glass cutter on the screen followed by Halfords own Rain repellent.

I put just the repellent on the side windows. It might need a couple of coats but I'll update the next time it rains.

Last edited:

Smiler-MK2

Fear The Inferi
Dec 2, 2007
Cheshire
I cleaned the car today and tried Halfords Intensive glass cutter on the screen followed by Halfords own Rain repellent.

I put just the repellent on the side windows. It might need a couple of coats but will update the next time it rains.

I put one coat on my scooby and it did the trick matey ;)

Think its on offer at the moment? just looked online

3 For 2 On Winter Essentials Including Ready Mix Screenwash

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members