Rainwater gets into Engine Bay from Scuttle on my Leon FR

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I asked SEAT UK customer care to look into this warranty fix because it doesn't work. Might give them another ring next week to ask them of the progress they've made (HAHA). I said that I still have water leaking and although my car doesn't qualify for another fix, I don't want other people to suffer the same issues that I've had.

john.s

Dec 20, 2012
Guys...the TPI from seat is a JOKE (a bad one)
Their fixshit is also a joke (a bad one too) and works only for some time or not so well from the beginning.

The only fix that works is from this guy and well, we should all thank him!

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3681961#post3681961

PS: completely sealing the wholes is NOT recommended!
- rust protection in that area is not perfect (especially if the plastic part has been removed using non-plastic tools. so standing water for days under there - not so good.
- opening the bonnet will make the water leak on the hot turbo,sensors and surroundings
- water expands when it is frozen! - it will make the plastic part and the clips bend/break/deform...

I would add one more thing, people only see the mold or stuff like that because the heat from the engine usually dries the fabric, but large amounts of water were already spilled on to the coils and surroundings (that is the point where the water leeks the most because of the hood design) causing all kind of trouble over time...

Last edited:

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
I would add one more thing, people only see the mold or stuff like that because the heat from the engine usually dries the fabric, but large amounts of water were already spilled on to the coils and surroundings (that is the point where the water leeks the most because of the hood design) causing all kind of trouble over time...

add this, along with hundreds of other poeople over time.

if you have your engine cover, its not much an issue for for alot of guys running an CAI without modified cover may notice it. my cover was in the bin soon as i fitted my pflow lol.

i really should do something about the moudly lining...but then, i power wash my engine bay anyway. :D

john.s

Dec 20, 2012
add this, along with hundreds of other poeople over time.

if you have your engine cover, its not much an issue for for alot of guys running an CAI without modified cover may notice it. my cover was in the bin soon as i fitted my pflow lol.

i really should do something about the moudly lining...but then, i power wash my engine bay anyway. :D

you are mistaken! engine cover doesn't make things better. (like in my case,water infiltrated and ended up inside the housing for the air filter..) but if you power wash your engine... this topic is not for you. water does not create an issue immediately but rather over time so we can talk only after you power wash your engine for like 5+ years ...

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
A clip on mine broke due to the weight of the water, the bonnet carpet sagged and ripped on the ICV(?). They replaced the clip but wouldn't replace the carpet as "Seat won't pay us back".
Even though the broken part caused it.
It's time for a new car soon as well!

Parky25

Well my car is off to the garage to get the "seat fix" done. The stealer rang seat who them told him to get the car fixed and they will send the parts direct. Alas after reading the above notes it could well be a waste of time. But... Time will see!!

pedxxx

Nov 23, 2012
Mine has the same problem. Sagging sound proofing caused by water. Only 16 months old as well.

Last edited:

Robban

Oct 15, 2011
Växjö, Sweden
Crap

Hi,
Mine got loose almost direct.
Bought My Cupra R the 19 th December and it was brand new, so its two months old
The carpet is a piece of crap, will remove mine entirely.
BR
Robert

toot

Jan 14, 2010
Kalmar, Sweden
Hi,
Bought My Cupra R the 19 th December and it was brand new, so its two months old
BR
Robert

Bought My Cupra R the 22 th December and it was brand new, so its two months old...

Dealer looked at it and scratch his head, he couldn´t find anything in the computer and probably it was already fixed looking at the year of the TPI (2011) he said..

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Simple test. Lightly push a bank note in the gap at the front between the bonnet and the bonnet strip. If there is no resistance after about 15-20mm, there is no seal there.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Hi,
BR
Robert

Be careful. I did the same and SEAT have tried to make out that I void my warranty by removing it. Keep it in, I've put mine back in.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Simple test. Lightly push a bank note in the gap at the front between the bonnet and the bonnet strip. If there is no resistance after about 15-20mm, there is no seal there.

Or have a look after rain/washing car, it'll be wet regardless of fix or not although the so called fix helps slightly...

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Or have a look after rain/washing car, it'll be wet regardless of fix or not although the so called fix helps slightly...

Lets be fair, the 'fix' doesn't do anything.

I did speak to customer services to see if they will look into it. I've just sent them an email to ask what progress has been made (none, I suspect), but hopefully they will have taken my concerns seriously.

Last edited:

john.s

Dec 20, 2012
Guys, stop fighting and wasting time. There is a 100% fix! You are mans, so just take maters in your own hands and get it done. A sunny day, a beer, and there you go :)

I know that seat should have fix it by now, with a REAL solution and for everyone, but apparently they don't care,

Removing the carpet only makes things worst... (explained already in previous posts)
cheers

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
This is what I did with mine - http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=369578

The paint under the scuttle was nice fresh paint so I can't see it causing a rust issue. There are plenty of places on the car that water can sit, with next to no paint on them. The strength bars under the bonnet for example. The water runs through the holes into these, then seeps into the proofing.

I would rather have water sitting under the scuttle, than in the engine bay causing misfires and possible electrical problems.

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Guys, stop fighting and wasting time. There is a 100% fix! You are mans, so just take maters in your own hands and get it done. A sunny day, a beer, and there you go :)

I know that seat should have fix it by now, with a REAL solution and for everyone, but apparently they don't care,

Removing the carpet only makes things worst... (explained already in previous posts)
cheers

I know what you're saying, but SEAT will try and wriggle out of warranty stuff. I was told by customer care 'If your car has any non SEAT approved fixes then your warranty is invalidated. In other words, if I fix the scuttle myself then I void my warranty on it.....

john.s

Dec 20, 2012
I know what you're saying, but SEAT will try and wriggle out of warranty stuff. I was told by customer care 'If your car has any non SEAT approved fixes then your warranty is invalidated. In other words, if I fix the scuttle myself then I void my warranty on it.....

Yes, you are right. But is is very unlikely they will ever find out.

Personally I never cared about warranty to much so did a lot of modifications from day1. Warranty's are exaggerated these days, made by fat a** lawyers and forcing people into approving all the idiotic things written. One day, my great hope is that we will stop buying a brand for a year or thing that we find absurd, and than...oh man, they will run us offering lifetime warranty manometer what you do to the damn' thing :rolleyes:

"Power to the people!";)

Last edited:

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
Is the fix that ur all talking about the guide on here? I realised yesterday that Iv got a small amount of mould on my sound proofing. Need to do the fix on my next day off. Can u clean the mould off?

john.s

Dec 20, 2012
Is the fix that ur all talking about the guide on here? I realised yesterday that Iv got a small amount of mould on my sound proofing. Need to do the fix on my next day off. Can u clean the mould off?

Read the posts, I have posted it twice man...
And don't bother with the mold, it will disintegrate if there will be no more water and moisture :)

The only fix that works is from this guy and well, we should all thank him!
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/show...61#post3681961

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise