Rattle in engine at idle

Dec 24, 2020
So I have a 2013 1.4tsi and I noticed yesterday when I started my car that there was a metallic sounding rattle coming from the right hand side of the engine bay. I had a full service and M.O.T last month so it has all new fluids and I checked the fluid levels yesterday and they're all fine. You can hear the rattle continue if you rev it slightly to about 2,000 rpm. I sent a video to a mechanic and he thinks it's the timing belt, I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and what their diagnosis of the issue was?

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
The high pressure fuel pump on this range of engines can make a metallic “clacking” sound, that annoyingly can be intermittent.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
So I have a 2013 1.4tsi and I noticed yesterday when I started my car that there was a metallic sounding rattle coming from the right hand side of the engine bay.

I sent a video to a mechanic and he thinks it's the timing belt, I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and what their diagnosis of the issue was?

@Joec99 - I‘d be surprised if a rubber timing belt would make a metallic rattling sound; a timing chain might if it‘s worn or stretched but I’m pretty certain the 1.4 tsI engine in the mk3 Leon has a belt and not a chain.

Reactions: Joec99
Dec 24, 2020
@Joec99 - I‘d be surprised if a rubber timing belt would make a metallic rattling sound; a timing chain might if it‘s worn or stretched but I’m pretty certain the 1.4 tsI engine in the mk3 Leon has a belt and not a chain.
Tried pressing the clutch down when the rattling noise starts and it goes away for a few seconds while the clutch is down and comes back about a minute after the clutch is raised, I'm starting to think it's the clutch/flywheel potentially, I've not really noticed it slipping so if it is, it's early stages of it

Dec 24, 2020
Release bearing/input shaft bearing maybe?
Potentially, I've taken it to a few garages today and they've all said they think it's a flywheel issue, do you know by any chance if the 1.4tsi takes a regular clutch and flywheel or if it's dual mass?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Potentially, I've taken it to a few garages today and they've all said they think it's a flywheel issue, do you know by any chance if the 1.4tsi takes a regular clutch and flywheel or if it's dual mass?
Diesels are DMF I believe, don't know about your 1.4 TSi TBH.