Rattles/squeaking noise in the door area

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
All this has made me extremely worried about my New Leon SC on order One of the main reasons I picked this car is that I thought it would have a similar VAG build Quality to my 3 year old Golf.
Is it all models that rattle ? and is it a Build date problem ?

Surly if its such a big issue Seat would be more pro active

Just wondering what my options would be if I cancelled the car as Only have £550 deposit car due December
It a pity I have read all this as the car is such a nice looking Model

sgtpepper

All this has made me extremely worried about my New Leon SC on order One of the main reasons I picked this car is that I thought it would have a similar VAG build Quality to my 3 year old Golf.

Just wondering what my options would be if I cancelled the car as Only have £550 deposit car due December
I couldn't agree more - I've got a Leon FR 5dr on order, and am starting to worry that I've made a mistake now. I don't suppose I'll see any of my £250 deposit again if I cancel now, but that might be a hit worth taking. Then again, I've read plenty of owners reviews on other sites that don't mention rattles at all. Hmm, think its make your mind up time...

tjdixon

Jan 24, 2002
Suffolk
Visit site
Mine is a lovely car, apart from the rattles, as others have said, you get tuned into them then you hear them all the time, I want to try and get out of that but it's hard, my Old / now Mrs Polo with 130k miles has nothing/little..

I paid £5-6k less than a similar aged golf gt with lesser spec so that's a big positive, but it still shouldn't have these issues.

I looked at trade prices today, I can't justify getting out of it so soon so will just enjoy it and hope they sort the problems out when it goes in..

easybreeze80

Aug 31, 2014
I only have the rattle in the rear door which is disappointing but these things happen. Does anyone have a guide of removing the rear door cards to investigate?

skk

Jul 14, 2014
I had rattles on both front doors. My SEAT dealer managed to remove the driver side door card rattles and will do the same procedure next week with the passenger door.
What i have noticed is that the "chrome" plastic pieces near the ventilation openings also tend to squeak a bit, especially when it is cold or when you drive over very sharp roadbumps. I sprayed silicone to these pieces and got rid of the sound.

Does anybody have any guide materials how to remove those "chrome" pieces? I would like to try to isolate the back and sides with some rubber tape.

Last edited:

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I can honestly say I have had no rattles in a year of noise free motoring. In fact they did the noise recall when there was no need and I was rather worried they would fit it with noise inducing bits. No change before or after.

Last edited:

Gladiator

Apr 19, 2014
My 2014 5 door FR184 has been fine over the last 6 months.

There is a minor creaking from the dash area but nothing I'm worried about.

They are great looking cars and I enjoy driving it although the build quality still not up to standard overall compared to my old MK5 Golf Gti Edition 30, although that still had some creaky dash issues which were fixed with cloth tape.

Gladiator

Apr 19, 2014
Is it mostly on the SC models?

Mines done 12k with no issues apart from the very minor dash creak.

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
this is VERY easy for me to say but unless a car is known for particular squeaks in almost every one that comes off the production line, that wouldn't stop me 'risking it' in terms of buying one if i liked the car overall.

when i bought my mk1 folk on forums were saying about leaks ... i never had an issue in the 3-4 years i owned it.

when i bought my mk2 folk on forums were saying about squeaks ... have to confess mine does suffer from the occasional / intermittent minor rattle here and there e.g. hazard switch sometimes rattles, most of time it doesn't. oh and when it's REALLY cold my roof creaks now and again :blink: but other than that it's pretty much a squeak free zone.

so, whilst i don't own a mk3, i'd say go for it if you like the car overall. having said all that, we 'can' put men on the moon so why we can't make a £20k+ car squeak free is beyond me ;) oh and i'd think twice about getting a squeak fixed unless it was really bugging me in case the car came out squeaking worse than when it went in! some of these squeaks must be like looking for a needle in a haystack and even when the cause is known you're reliant on the mechanic putting everything back together exactly as it should be.

Last edited:

JonnyT30

Jul 18, 2009

Let me just put my 2c in here. My previous car was a MK6 Golf, and I drove that for 115,000 miles. It didn't have any significant rattles or squeaks and the interior quality was excellent. A couple of months ago I swapped it for a used 63 reg MK3 Leon which, I have to admit I think is a very nice looking car and the look of the interior is very smart. When I took it for a test drive it was quiet with no rattles or noises, and I was generally impressed. Having had the car for a couple of months now, and put 4000 miles on it (car has 8000 miles on it now), the true Seat quality has shone through, and I'm sorry to say that nothing has changed since the new Ibizas that I bought in 2007 and 2009. There are constant rattles in the dash, around the instruments and from the passenger doors and the car has several other build faults that it would seem have never been noticed which will have to be rectified. One of these being the paint thickness on the B pillar, you can see the undercoat its so thin. And please remember that the previous owner of my vehicle was Seat UK and probably a demo car, so they obviously don't even check the vehicles they use to demonstrate adequately.

I'm sure that at this point, many people will suggest taking the car back to the dealers to get the rattles sorted, but in my experience, firstly they aren't interested and secondly they almost always make the situation much worse.

Yes, I hear the arguments about all manufacturers having cars with rattles, its very true. It would just seem that Seat are 'still' particularly bad.

In short, the Leon doesn't even have the class of the MK6 Golf (let alone the MK7), the interior materials are a pale imitation and in some cases, even Mcvities would reject them as poor quality for their biscuits (i.e the plastics surrounding the instruments). The ride is harsh even with what they call the comfort chassis (mine's an SE by the way), which makes the rattles worse. Knowing what I now know, I wish I had kept my Golf, imho it was a much better car, I would prefer to lose £550 than own another Seat, mine will be gone in a year.

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
Thanks for that compressive post I appreciate the interior is not up to The golf Standard and was aware of this which is reflected in the £1800 price difference . But it appears that trim rattle is a issue
I need to think long and hard !

JonnyT30

Jul 18, 2009
Thanks for that compressive post I appreciate the interior is not up to The golf Standard and was aware of this which is reflected in the £1800 price difference . But it appears that trim rattle is a issue
I need to think long and hard !

As I mentioned, I am on my third Seat, and they have all been rattle boxes that got progressively worse with mileage. I read the reviews of the MK3 and was impressed by what the reviewers said, but it has to be remembered that most reviews are done on very low mileage cars. Mistakenly I believed that Seat may have bucked their ideas up. Yes people on here will comment that their car has no rattles but they are the exception to the rule. There is just no excuse for new cars to rattle now, it just indicates poor design and shoddy factory build standards, there are too many people on this site commenting who have issues. And also look how many people are attempting to rectify the problems themselves because they have no faith in Seat to fix the issues. Don't forget, once they have all your money and you have the car, they won't be interested. For me now, I wish I'd had the Golf.

Ewan

May 7, 2008
So far I have been very impressed with my 184 when compared with my previous mk2 170.

The new model is a vast improvement over the old one.

My 2014 model has no significant rattles.
The door seals did squeak a little but that was soon sorted with a little silicon spray.

Overall the car represents good value for money.

EoinM

So far I have been very impressed with my 184 when compared with my previous mk2 170.

The door seals did squeak a little but that was soon sorted with a little silicon spray.

Use lithium spray next time - it's better for the rubbers!!

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
Don't get me wrong the Leon is a cracking car as a lot of press reviews have said, it however let down by poor build quality and or poor quality materials, also let down by dealer service or lack of in a lot of cases, Seat CS in my case didn't really help they wanted me to take vehicle back which I refused, as they had had 2 attempts to do the rattles lied to me about what they had done and didn't even Road test it and as a result made the rattles worse and introduced new ones. They had also had 3 attempts to sort issues that should have been done on the pdi. They will not touch the car again next dealer means an 80 mile round trip so it will only go for service and major faults, the rattles looks like it going to be diy.

As the mileage goes up the more it's rattling and it's only does 2500 miles, now have rattles developing from around the radio, creaking from tops of doors and the passenger seat sounds as though the back is falling off when nobody is sat in it.

Happy I'm not, buy another Seat probably not, what could be a class beating car is seriously let down by lack of aftersales service.

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
Rattle update

As last a bit of good news

As you say it is lot of car for the Money at todays price comparison £1888 les than a golf Match even with the Extra

I am limited on length in the garage so this SC just fits The Audi A3 was to long and £3000 more

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.