Rattling Handbrake Leaver

JamJay

California Bound
...welll not the whole leaver as such, just the chrome button on the end (LCR). It's only started this and it's annoying the hell out of me, the only eay to stop it is to drive with a finger resting on the button the whole time. Anyone else had this issue and found a fix?

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Mine does this also JamJay. Annoys me big time!

If you can think of a quick fix let me know ;)

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Just To add....

my passenger seat belt anchor rattles as well [:@] Would love to fix that rattle also.

JamJay

California Bound
I thinks it's the cold weather, the rattles aren't there when it's warm, maybe because the panels expand. I have thought about shoving a strip of thin foam into the end of the leaver but I am not sure that'll work, I needs tightning somehow or cushioning.

To add, my handbrake is tight, only comes up a coupleof clicks before it's on fully.

TwoZeroAlpha

Diesel Powered
Jan 2, 2010
Colchester
Just a thought, based on logic rather than any particular in-depth knowledge. I would guess the handbrake release button is held out and stiff (o-eer missus) by a spring inside the handbrake. It should be possible to adjust this with a couple of washers, or replace it entirely. Not a quick fix, but it's all I can think for now.

MonkeyTibs

Seat Simian
Dec 24, 2009
Southampton
I've got this although I thought it was my dash for the first week of driving my car! Was a relief to find it was just the handbrake but would be good to fix the bugger. I'm going to have a look tonight and see what I can do with it.

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
I agree about the cold affecting things. my heated rear window switch always sticks in when its really cold.

MonkeyTibs

Seat Simian
Dec 24, 2009
Southampton
Did you ever find an easy solution for this? Haven't had time to look at it properly when it's light and it's really starting to irritate!

IFlip92

Did you manage to fix this? I haven't got this problem but my handbrake button is very stiff and requires quite a lot of effort in pushing it for some reason depending on the amount I have pulled the hanbrake up. Can anyone think why this is? I've tried applying some WD40 everywhere around the handbrake but hasn't made a lot of difference.

jordyboy004

Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v
Apr 4, 2008
Isle Of Wight
i had this problem on on LC but all i did to fix it was slid the handbrake lever forward so it covers the silver button then slam it hard back. worked for me and 2 years later hasnt made a peep.

IFlip92

Tried it but no change. I have just slipt the handbrake cover off and applied even more WD40 underneath it and seems to have improved the situation a little bit but nothing major. It annoys me so much cos it always feels like the handbrake is jammed and if I pull it to the very top then I have to actually slam the button to release it!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.