Rear Number Plate Lights Not Working

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
As said in the other thread, replace both bulbs. One or both of them may have an intermittent fillament. Make sure that the new bulbs are 5w ones and not 2w ones.

Andy 58 leon

Sound I'll have a trip to halfords tommorrow!cheers kidda

Damon_

Mar 19, 2011
Mine has also been doing this for weeks thought it was a big problem! So glad i searched the forum :)

Will also email partsulike as mine were from them.

Thanks guys.

JP6

Aug 18, 2012
West Sussex
Never heard anything back from them.

I've swapped the number plate LEDs with the interior ones as they are the same and interior lights don't seem to throw light out errors.

Westtopher

Westtopher
Nov 2, 2015
Sevenoaks, Kent
Help! My rear number plate lights have stopped working. I changed them over to Error Free Canbus LED Festoon Bulb. They stopped working after 1 min. And then couldn't get them back working. So changed the bulbs again to 6 Diode LED Festoon Bulb. These have not worked either. What could be the issue help very much needed and appreciated!

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Help! My rear number plate lights have stopped working. I changed them over to Error Free Canbus LED Festoon Bulb. They stopped working after 1 min. And then couldn't get them back working. So changed the bulbs again to 6 Diode LED Festoon Bulb. These have not worked either. What could be the issue help very much needed and appreciated!

Have you tried putting the original non LED bulbs back in?

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Be careful with LED number plate bulbs!! I had an issue with mine, hopefully the quote of my post will work...

Thanks for the help guys, took it to the local garage and they plugged it in and had to reset it, as it had registered a major fault. Apparently minor lights, like number plate and sidelights don't have a fuse and run straight from the cars CPU, and so if a fault is detected it completely shuts down, and it then required VCDS to tell the car everything is ok before it will run the circuit again. Normally a bulb going would register a minor fault and so the car would just try again when it's next switched on hoping you'd have changed the bulb by then, but a major fault is something like a short and and so it shuts down to protect the CPU. The garage thinks the LED's will have shorted and the car went into self-defence and cut the power.

Sorry it's so much to read but I wanted to write it out then if anyone else has this issue they can hopefully find this as I couldn't see anything similar to this problem on here before I started this thread.

Edit: Cost me about £100 in the end for all the diagnostic checks, etc!

Westtopher

Westtopher
Nov 2, 2015
Sevenoaks, Kent
Just been to the mechanics been told that the fuses are fine and the bulbs are fine its a wiring issue. Been quoted £40 to sort it out. Which isn't to bad but its unnecessary money forked out because I changed a Bulb to LED. Won't be changing any bulbs to LEDs now.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
i would be amazed if an LED bulb has damaged any of the wiring. I'd be asking for proof and to see the damaged section of wiring. Normal bulb and a clear of the fault codes and it'll probably be fine

Westtopher

Westtopher
Nov 2, 2015
Sevenoaks, Kent
i would be amazed if an LED bulb has damaged any of the wiring. I'd be asking for proof and to see the damaged section of wiring. Normal bulb and a clear of the fault codes and it'll probably be fine

Do you think it would be the wiring or does the system just need resetting?

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
i cant diagnose it over the internet mate. My answer is above - i highly doubt the LED bulb has caused the wiring to melt

Fiona70

Jan 24, 2017
Hi. I bought a 2011 seat Leon copa recently. Love it but the warning light for a build out keeps coming up on the dash. I changed my headlight bulbs recently to something a bit brighter and changed my rear reg plate bulb cause the dash said it was out. It's not led bulbs just standard ones. Dash warning light is still on and now my lights aren't working properly. Please help as I need my car to transport my disabled daughter. Thanks Fiona

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Hi. I bought a 2011 seat Leon copa recently. Love it but the warning light for a build out keeps coming up on the dash. I changed my headlight bulbs recently to something a bit brighter and changed my rear reg plate bulb cause the dash said it was out. It's not led bulbs just standard ones. Dash warning light is still on and now my lights aren't working properly. Please help as I need my car to transport my disabled daughter. Thanks Fiona

Is it just the number place lights that aren't working?

Fiona70

Jan 24, 2017
Hi thanks for your reply. A friend of mine had a look at the fuses and found that one of them had melted. Bit strange but seems to be sorted now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jan 17, 2021
Hello, I’m having a similar issue with my car , I tried putting led number plate lights in and they worked but when I went to put the screws back in the kept flickering and making a wee noise I think they completed the circuit and fried something , but I tried to find a fuse but couldn’t find it. I don’t throng the actual plug is getting power anymore.