REAR S BADGE REMOVAL

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
Hi everyone I have seen on YouTube the rear s badge, the chrome part, can be taken off and you can buy a replacement, I am wanting gloss black from carbon my ride. Is this true you can remove the chrome s with some trim removal tools ? I am wanting to try this without buying a brand new s badge when you have to remove all the rear trim to access Has anyone else done this? Many thanks for all your help

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
You remove the lower rear trim from the hatch door. A few nuts (10mm?) and disconnect an electrical connection.

The 'S' badge can be removed from the housing using a drift to knock out the pivot bar.

There will be pictures or videos somewhere for people that have completed this to remove corrosion on the pivot bar when the mechanism have seized.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonfrdiesel184

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022

Hi guys if you look at this video near the start they actually take off the chrome s from the rear with a removal tool without removing the whole thing. This is what I am wanting to do to get a proper fitment of a gloss black badge cover cheers many thanks

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I've seen the front badge come off like this when I removed my grille. All very nice in the video - reality is that the plastic tangs that hold the badges one snap very easily.

If you are buying the gloss black replacements, I guess that it doesn't matter about old ones if you damage them.

Only consideration is the Mk3 had a change of logo design (cleaner 'S') and the badge on the front is different sizes between pre-FL and FL versions (from 2017).

Reactions: Leonfrdiesel184

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
Thanks mate I am not bothered about breaking the chrome bits at all. The new one can either be fitted in the holes or by 3m which it comes with. Thanks again mate I am going to have a go at it and see what the results are like

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members