Rear screenwash not working?

N77A

Nov 8, 2019
So for some reason the rear screenwash does not work even though there is plenty of screen wash and the front one works fine.
My mechanic had my car for a day looking for the problem but could not find any problems with the motor or pipes so was struggling to find where the issue is as it should work.

The only thing I can think of is that a couple weeks ago I changed the rear wiper bladed to a bosch one because the last one was squeaky. Could I have possibly done something to cause the screenwash to not dispense? I followed the instructions in the manual

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Screen wash comes from the top where the brake light is so nothing to do with the wiper. I have never even used mine I don’t see the point it it personally lol, do it while you’re idle and see if it leaks anywhere from the car(?) not sure where the hoses go though or if you can see it if it did leak in the way...

Actually I think I’m thinking of the Wrong car it may come from the actual wiper motor part but not sure as I said never used it lol correct me if I’m wrong

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Looking at the workshop manuals posted by @paddy6789 (diagram on page 93 of the first manual at the link below), the rear screen washer jet is above the rear screen (part of of high level brake light assembly), so fitting a new wiper blade wouldn’t be the reason for the washer jet no longer working.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1M4ofxxMgsFjE7hNWg6l4KuifelmdMUu0

If the pump motor and the flexible pipework are all OK, maybe the washer jet is blocked? If non-operation is due to a blocked jet, the manual suggests removing the jet and clearing it with compressed air against the direction of the fluid flow (page 95). It does state any other method of clearing it such as the old school method of clearing it with a pin should not be used.

As @LR231998 suggests, try using the rear washer while you’re stationary and check for leaks; the pipe from the fluid reservoir to the jet could be damaged at some point between the washer bottle and the jet - the most obvious place would be where the pipe is subjected to flexing, which is where it feeds through from the the body shell into the tailgate above the rear screen.

Reactions: paddy6789

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Any other issues with boot lid? If it thinks it's not 'shut' washer may not operate

N77A

Nov 8, 2019
It’s still not working in my car. My mechanic had taken a look at everything and says there’s no faults so can’t figure out why it’s not working. I have tried to see if there is any leaks anywhere whilst idle and there is none whatsoever. Suppose my next option would be to take it to seat dealer but I can only imagine what they will charge for a fix

N77A

Nov 8, 2019
It’s something that I don’t really need, suppose it just bugs me more knowing it doesn’t work.

N77A

Nov 8, 2019
Exactly. I don’t particularly need mine but annoys me that I know it’s broken . My wing mirror keeps popping in aswell so I need to keep re-adjusting. Annoying little fixes haha.

*Update* took it to a different mechanic that my car’s warrantee recommended for a different fault, turns out it was just the jet wash blocked which they unblocked in 10 minutes. They said it was most likely caused by the previous owner filling up concentrated screen wash with little or no water.

Reactions: goonz

N77A

Nov 8, 2019
I tried the pin method myself too which didn’t work. Unfortunately they didn’t tell me how they unblocked it but they did only charge me £10 so best off taking it the garage

N77A

Nov 8, 2019
Anyone know why my rear wiper stops halfway across the window then carries on a few seconds later? Thought it was a blown fuse at first but it still works. Just find it annoying and would rather get it sorted before my mot

Oct 30, 2020
Hi I am new to Seat but on my MK4 Golf the rear screen washer pipe would come loose and leak at the elbow bend hidden behind the C Pillar interior. Had to take this apart to get to the pipe and fit it with some electrical tape to keep it from coming loose. Never had any issues with it after that. Perhaps something similar happening on the Leon?

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I tried the pin method myself too which didn’t work. Unfortunately they didn’t tell me how they unblocked it but they did only charge me £10 so best off taking it the garage
The Reason why you could not do it with a pin is all you are doing is pushing the dirt(blockage) in, the when you press the
button to get the water out it just blocks again, what you need to do is take the pipe off the back of the jet then blow compressed air from the outside and if you get some one to put there hand the dirt will drop in there hand, then just put the
pipe on and all should be good

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.